Favorite Terpenes

I’ve been a long time smoker, but just started growing. For as much as I enjoy the physical and mental benefits of each individual strain, the aroma and flavor are two of my favorite parts of growing and smoking. I found some information on Leafly showing the most common terpenes and their flavor profiles. I am not providing a link to the site, because I believe they also have a forum :face_with_hand_over_mouth:. Here is the information I found:

TERPENES

A great deal of attention is paid to the amount of THC and CBD in a given strain, but newer research suggests that terpenes may be just as impactful. The terpenes present directly affect the plant’s smell. They may also influence the effects produced by specific strains.

According to [Leafly]

Bisabolol.
With notes of chamomile and tea tree oil, the terpene bisabolol is thought to reduce inflammation and irritation. It may also have microbial and pain-reducing effects.

Caryophyllene.
The peppery, spicy molecule may reduce anxiety, ease symptoms of depression, and improve ulcers.

Linalool.
Linalool is said to help improve relaxation and boost mood with its floral notes.

Myrcene.
The most common terpene, this earthy, herbal molecule may help reduce anxiety and [insomnia]

Ocimene.
This terpene produces notes of basil, mango, and parsley. Its primary effects may include easing congestion and warding off viruses and bacteria.

Pinene.
As the name suggests, this terpene produces an intense pine aroma. It may help boost memory, reduce pain, and ease some of the not-so-pleasant symptoms of THC, such as nausea and coordination problems.

Terpinolene.
Cannabis with this compound may smell like apples, cumin, and conifers. It may have sedative, antibacterial, and antifungal properties.

Limonene.
Bright, zippy citrus notes come from this terpene. It’s said to improve mood and reduce stress.

Humulene.
This terpene is deeply earthy and woody, like hops or cloves. Cannabis strains with this molecule may reduce inflammation.

Eucalyptol.
With notes of eucalyptus and tea tree oil, this molecule is refreshing and invigorating. It may also reduce inflammation and fight bacteria.

What are everyone’s favorite strains in terms of terpene profile? What are your favorite terpenes in general?

Snoop’s Dream was probably the tastiest strain I’ve ever had. Had some in Cali on my last visit to Berkeley. Blue Dream x Master Kush (leafly actually lists this strain in their terpene profile page, lol). Pinene and Myrcene are the dominant terpenes. Myrcene is pretty common. I found Snoop’s Dream to have a great berry aroma with earthy hints. Even at only 18% THC, it still did the trick wonderfully. Linalool is another favorite of mine. Let me know what you think.

Happy smoking and growing everyone.

Cheers

6 Likes

Limonene for the win! From everything from Berry in purples to that :fuelpump: smell in diesels… hands down my fav Terp

4 Likes

@PurpNGold74 Limonene is definitely tasty. There aren’t many terpenes I don’t like.

1 Like

The earthy one and pinene are meh… not horrible. Just not showstoppers

My favorite strains all seem to have some mix of these terps:
B-Caryophyllene
Myrcene
Pinene
Limonene

I should try some strains with linalool in the mix, too, but I hate hate hate floral notes in my smoke.

2 Likes

My amnesia haze is packed full of this. Every time I burp the jar it smells like an orange farted in my curing tent. They should add: “can make consumer extremely chatty”.

4 Likes

46faff1da1a702108174466164bb1a72c98bbb09

7d860c2604d75631adb468b9aafc1194bc9baf0d

0959f29949ae59168a635b39be8ec07fe9d0efd0

10 Likes

Great info. Many thanks!

1 Like

Thats exactly what Purple Trainwreck had. Linanool… so weird. But good!

2 Likes

Salutations Za444,

Good, Leafly doesn’t like me and hence i feel reciprocally. Which is a good enough reason for me to post this edit of an old picture emanating from there:

Animation%20for%202-to-1%20THC%20vs%20CBD%20Ratio%20

In my own personal opinion there’s a limit to the diversity and amount of noble molecules which can be genetically encoded, this was suggestively illustrated by painting such presumably associated region in amber colour.

The idea here is that THC-centric (or now CBD-centric) selection involves a tradeoff in terms of the “entourage effect” including aroma/taste appreciation. So at 18 % THC i’d expect nearly 2 thirds of the plant’s potential already been devoted to a single molecule when there are well over a hundred more to explore, assuming the last third is entirely available for this purpose alone…

Good day, have fun!! :peace_symbol:

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

@Laurap @Egzoset @BobbyDigital @blackthumbbetty @PurpNGold74

Solid information with nice pictures and charts.
Cool to see the science behind everything. It’s also cool to see that everyone has their favorites.

4 Likes

@Jza444

I just noticed you joined ILGM and with that I would like to Welcome you to the club my friend. We have a great community of fokes who are willing and ready to help. If uou need anything or just want to shoot the breeze just give me a hollyer ok

B Safe
Will

2 Likes

@garrigan62 Thanks a bunch for the kind welcome. Most people on the forum have been extremely helpful, passionate, and very constructive about critiquing fellow growers. I’m currently working on my first grow, and it probably would’ve already ended had I not found this site. Also, I’ve had pretty bad luck acquiring seeds, thus I’m using clones for my first grow. Great to know I can buy seeds from ILGM, and have a huge database of journals and information for those specific strains. Thanks again!

3 Likes

Hi there! Love this thread! Since everyone here is sharing resources on medical terpenes, I would like to share one as well. This infographic talks about the myths and facts on medical terpenes. One thing I learned here is that medical terpenes actually promote better sleep. I hope this will be a great read to everyone here. Thanks!

2 Likes

I had forgotten about this thread. Ah the finer simplier times

None of those nasty vape terpenes shoved in your face by the greenrush media outlets are important, not in the least.

A basic high-school education will take you much further than nonsensical marketing-originated stoner dogma. Everything you are told about weed is orchestrated nonsense. Not everything is a terpene. Half what people smell at dispensaries is not even weed, it’s applied product. Pinene vape pens are absolutely disgusting and I’ve grown a pine strain for decades. Most beneficial volatiles easily override the useless, heavy, weak, inactive molecules like limonene, myrcene, etc. There are so many more things wrong with the bullshit fruit peelanene narrative, it’s ridiculous. And flavor comes from fats sugars and acids, not air freshener chemicals.

Time to grow up potheads, and stop making my hobby look bad. The weed scene is embarrassingly gullible, easily duped, and very trusting of the man… It’s beyond odd.

Firstly… Welcome to ILGM. Lovely group of stoners.

Secondly this thread is 2 years old and I still stand by a good bit of it.

4+ lbs of my own from seed grown buds and Id rather ask someone the TERPS of their weed/strain then the percentage of sativa/indica or name… hell the only question more important is genetics… like who’s ‘what strain’ crossed with who’s ‘what strain’…

Terpenes play a HUGE difference. And of course no one here INTENTIONALLY means sprayed on terps. Anyone growing weed on this forum SPRAYING their buds anytime AFTER THEY’RE ACTUALLY BUDS, has kinda missed the point of ILGM…

Agreed. Most Sativa:Indica ratios are wrong when genetically tested. …but flavor — now we have a differentiation.