Drying tent -- how to cool -- recommendations?

Hey all – I don’t grow in tents – but in a room. Now I have a tent for drying, in the room. I need a small cooling system – as my room/tent is too hot for drying. I’m looking for economical but also reliable.

Recommendations – cooling and RH control in drying tent? Can I just use inexpensive portable AC and humidifier/dehumid? Tent is 4x2x60

1 Like

Increased airflow is the most simple way. Be careful with portable air conditioners. You have to vent the exhaust out of the grow space since the exhaust creates more heat than the output creates cold air.

4 Likes

I jury rigged a bonnet for the standing ac – that is now pumping air into the tent. Have fan running in the tent and a dehumidifier. I’ve got the tent to 74 degrees and 48 RH. Down about 5 degrees in an hour. We’ll see over the next 18. If room temp stays good and I get a little chill, I’m in dry room heaven.

2 Likes

That’s some pretty good redneck engineering try to get you RH up to as close to 60 as possible

2 Likes

You nailed it. I’ve got a potable AC and set mine up very similar. I’ve noticed in the summer months that I use the dehumidifier option more in my grow and dry tents. Seems to keep temps and RH in range :love_you_gesture:

Bigger inline fan system if ur using a tent if ur using a bedroom or something like that i would use aircon or more fans to blow more air around the buds

Yepper – we’ve got the redneck going on here. :crazy_face: This am I was at 71 degrees and 48 humidity. Going to turn off the dehumidifier today and see what happens. What is the best temp range 65-70?

2 Likes

Yep – it’s that weird time frame with RH that is tough. Today I need dehumidifier – tomorrow I need humidifier. Can’t wait until my first run is finished so I have an idea of the whole process.

2 Likes

Story of my life. Every piece of equipment I have except for the lighting is hand tuned :love_you_gesture:

1 Like

Can you bring intake air for drying tent from another room?

I bring air into the grow room from another room and from outside. The tent is for drying only. I have the AC blowing into the tent and at a steady 64 degrees. Put in the wicking humidifier and the tent is now 50RH. I have a fan in the tent bottom circulating and I’m bringing in air – just ambient – through one duct with no fan – just letting everyone breath together a little. The 8in exhaust and filter pulls from the grow room outside – eradicating smell.

1 Like

Your best bet is to have your heat up as high as possible and your RH as low as possible.85-99F and 25%RH.you really wana flash dry them as to no risk your trichomes from evaporating.

1 Like

:point_up_2: this incorrect!! Optimum temp is 65/RH 60% :love_you_gesture:

1 Like

Look like portable ac is the best option and that what I have with forced air induction. Also have cloudline fan forcing air out

Yikes! It is the exact formula for trichome degradation and “flash” drying is a really bad idea if you are at all interested in smell and taste.

2 Likes

I believe this must be part of my terpene (lack thereof) issue. Drying in the dry wintertime seems to dry the outside too much, then I have to jar it up to let the buds even out again, then spread out to dry some more… usually having to rinse/repeat a couple time for an even dry throughout the bud. I still get potent bud, and the curing process gives it a good odor, but still has weak flavor. Not to mention it’s a huge PITA.