Do i have this down right? scrogging

according to my calendar, these have a week or maybe a week an a half till they start flowering :bouquet:

im gonna do scrogging. so far everything under the top layer of green is pruned, lookin nice tho

so for Scrogging i just wanna make sure i dont mess it up, first time trying this.
so does that top layer have to grow through the trellis, than i trim everything under the trellis net, than tie the branches along the netting as the branches grow throughout flowering… is that sounding about right?
or someone help clarify so i dont do it wrong

someone did say, induce flowering as the plant is just under the net, not grown through, but to trim all the leaves under the net, but that would leave just branches. i dont fully understand, but im doin it so i can understand it, i require knowledge
thanks for reading

runtz strain

5 Likes

How rigid are the stems now? If not rigid to a point that they could snap, you could add the net a few inches below the canopy and weave the branches into the net squares. @beardless scrogs autos :love_you_gesture:

5 Likes

the stems are pretty solid, some of the newly grown stems arent super thick yet, but they should be able to handle some lightly aggressive movements.
so, just to be clear, the top leafs should be over the net right is what ur saying?
and thank u for adding that tip, i didnt think about just weaving the leafs through.
would u say the current size is decent enough to get about 15+ oz from scrogging?

2 Likes

I don’t scrog autos due to the short veg period but several growers are successful at this. I top and LST all my plants because I like the option of moving them. Most that scrog do so with photo period plants and once the most of the net squares are full the light schedule is flipped. Here is one my typical auto training techniques and the plants you have can still use the LST method.

Before flower and veg training

Before harvest

:point_up_2: not impossible but there’s many variables associated with yield. Strain type, genetics, environmental conditions, lighting and nutrients. My largest single auto harvest was 10 ounces and smallest was 2. 5 zips is a good average :love_you_gesture:

13 Likes

what i got is just feminized so i could push flowering if i need to, i have never done autos. i hear that photos get more yields since i can veg em longer.
wow that pic is incredible :clap: :heart_eyes:
so the LST method is unfamiliar to me, i will do some research and find out everything i can about it. maybe a quick run down of what LST is?
i also add lots of nutes i think, i set the ppm up to 700 or so give or take a few during veg, i stopped giving em nutes today, cleansing the water so i can switch to the flowering nutes
the nutrients i speak of are the fertilizer packs u get from ilgm.

2 Likes

ok i just realized that lst is lifht stress, idk many light stress techniques, i pinch the stems to make em thicker, i do topping. i think those are heavy stress tho

1 Like

You should be good. @Low is one of the community SCROG masters and can probably advise you better than myself :love_you_gesture:

3 Likes

I run photoperiod plants exclusively. I have a couple of observations on SCROG’ing:

First, one screen per plant. Putting multiple plants in one screen is a recipe for problems. No two plants will behave the same and will finish at different times. With multiple plants in one screen you can’t remove plants from grow space to do maintenance or diagnose/deal with grow issues.

Second; fill the screen before flower. You’ll get some stretch but with good lights that is minimal. I fill the screen to 90% full before I flip. Doing this while still in veg means the stems are supple and bend easily into the cells.

Third; make your SCROG adjustable for height. This is easily done by using two different diameters of PVC so that one fits into another and allows you to ‘telescope’ the legs into correct height.

If you look at the legs you’ll see what I’m describing.

13 Likes

Thanks @OGIncognito

According to your calendar? Are these autos? Hard to set deadlines like that with scrog.

I think @Myfriendis410 is spot on on.

Here is my current from before net to now. 3 different strains. 3 different harvests times likely. Net positioned in a way where it will be less difficult to harvest individually. I did this by partitioning my frame to allow me to cut without effecting the other side. I don’t really make an effort to start them in any particular way aside from topping really. I just let them grow into the net with a lot of tucking a defoliation. These seeds were germinated feb 1st.

These are all in coco, all treated the same. Air flow very important, access to plants all around very important. Auto feed helps. Relatively problem free if you plan and adjust accordingly.

As for harvest weights it depends on the size of the plant. In a scrogged 2x4 I usually get between 1LB and 1.5lb dry with around 300 watts.

19 Likes

Im just here looking at all the cool plants…

dude

13 Likes

by “my calendar” i mean i germinated the first two mid april, 2 weeks in the cup, 4-6 weeks in veg, than another 8 or so in flowering. so by that estimate, i could basically flower by next week… but since they are not autos, i could induce flowering whenever. looks like i should have grown em a bit wider sooner :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

You still have time

2 Likes

@Hershy420 @OGIncognito @Low
Hershy I think for a full, successful SCROG you need to be in control of how long you veg. You will need to be able too veg longer than an auto. ,and be in control of the “daylight hours.”
421 also just focus on filling up your trellis, once it is almost full flip it to 12/12 day lenght. It will stretch up throughout your upper level trellises. And what strain are you growing?

5 Likes

It’s pretty easy to spend a considerable amount of time in scrog to get it where you want, strain/phenotypes matter. love doing it with clones, it’s much faster. In the end if anyone is chasing yield indoors it’s the way to go. It is work, but so is training like @OGIncognito , end results speak for themselves. I personally scrog to max my area/yield, and I’m usually not on any sort of time crunch. It also allows me to spread my light pretty evenly. I get annoyed when numbers drop even 100 points. I’ve spent 6+ months on certain strains in veg to max a canopy. So as I said, strains/phenotypes matter.

Here are a few other of my scrogs for example

I’ve done several runs like this over the last couple years.

And as @Myfriendis410 already mentioned it’s best to do with same strain.

19 Likes

so u basically fill the netting before inducing flowering?
have it grow as u weave the branches to fill the net, than start flowering after the net is full?
or will it still grow a bunch to fill the net during the flowering stage?
thanks for the pictures and advice so far

4 Likes

ya, those pics are exactly what im tryin to do. and because i cant grow outdoors right now, from all my research, i came to the conclusion that scrogging is the way to max the yield and stay at high quality. so all the advice helps since its my first go.

5 Likes

or jsut grow it out wide as possible than start flowering, im guessing a lot of topping or do u do fim

1 Like

I fill the net 100% if I can before flipping, keeping everything below the net removed. Lots of defoliation, for air flow. Can’t be worried about defoliation when it comes to scrog. I don’t weave anything around the net itself I keep it tucked under. If you weave around it (over under) it makes harvest a PITA and I like to hang my plants whole. I top once usually anywhere from the 3rd node to the 5th node. The first node on plants I remove entirely because they are smaller than the secondary nodes usually by the end. So I count #2 as #1. Max out your space and be selective on branching. I try to keep my canopy depth around 8-10” in flower because anything below that in a dense canopy turns to larf. Depending on density of flowers though you can see larf develop 5-6” down in canopy.

Scrogging itself is easy, just in depth and time consuming. Can’t be afraid to cut branches off, bend, break, split. It happens. The more rigid the first net is the better, i use cut to size netting for the secondary and sometimes even a 3rd net.

7 Likes

can i ask how far do u have the lights from the tip of the plants, and do u adjust as it grows?

3 Likes

I usually run off ppfd and dli. Photone app got me by for quite sometime but it reads 100-200 points higher than my actual meter. There is nothing wrong with utilizing recommended heights by the light manufacturer. You can adjust lower or higher from there. If it’s too much you can usually tell by how they react after a day or so.

Also, Runtz is Fire! One of the faves in the house.

6 Likes