Carnivale Cruise Ships- Drug Dogs

I read an interesting article yesterday that said Carnival Cruise is deploying dogs to find weed on ship. If found the passenger is kicked off the ship at the next port. Be careful out there.

What would happen you took a couple grams of bud and washed it with everclear and then sprayed the everclear/resin all over the place. Would it confuse the dogs enough to distract them from finding weed when everything smells like weed?
Always wanted to test this out and see if it would work.

6 Likes

They want to sell their alcohol. One of these ships will get smart and open a smoke shop and cash in.

6 Likes

You can’t mask smells very well when dogs are used. Dogs smell differently than humans do. For instance, if you make stew, a dog won’t smell stew. The dog will smell beef and carrots and potatoes and onion and flour,…

Humans have ~500 odor receptors. It can vary by breed, but there are some breeds that have 50,000 odor receptors.

7 Likes

yes, but its actual resin from a bud that would be on stuff. Exactly what the dog is trained to find. SO not really masking, but overwhelming the senses.

Probably wont work but i wonder if only trained to detect weed then would they point when they find the resin on carpet for instance.

2 Likes

I had a buddy in the Navy. They used to mop the floors with bong water…he says it made the dogs go crazy…but they usually could not find their stash that they hid high in the pipes.

6 Likes

My German Shepherd is scent trained. It’s amazing what a trained dog can sniff out among distracting smells. The dog is trained to scent humans, but it wouldn’t take very long at all to switch her to weed - maybe couple of weeks training 30 minutes per day (and a dozen tennis balls, lol) since she is already scent trained and knows the behaviors I would want out of her.

3 Likes

I would venture to guess that thousands have tried this very thing and the dogs of today are probably trained to detect bud in its original form. Was just a random thought. I don’t need to have weed to the point that I would try to take it anywhere off my property. Its just not worth the hassle.

5 Likes

If I were going to go for it I would probably just take a vape pen and vacuum seal it after every use.

5 Likes

What surprised me is they kick the offender off the ship.

I just remember going to my class reunion and bringing my middle child and their friend and I said nothing with THC with you. You must rely on beer while we are there. They pulled the friend aside at security for their gummy bears (all clean) they brought for us along with pretzels etc. to snack on during the flight and the 1.5 hour trip to where I grew up.

I understand gummies bought here by touridiots are typically put in candy packages, resealed, and taken home.

No dogs and only machines.

BTW they abided by the rule and nothing but beer for three days. But also back then our State licenses were so strange with holograms and lots of extraneous information we were accused of them being fake when we tried to buy beer!

1 Like

I heard from my friend, Disney Theme parks do the same.

2 Likes

Seems like practices as such would detour business.

We will not be booking a cruise anytime soon.

2 Likes

Spray some, keep some of the tincture for yourself :rofl:

I’m guessing modern drug dogs worth their weight are trained to sniff out edibles as well, probably even vaping oils and juices…

1 Like

Your right @Riskguy. They have no problem with dumping alcohol down your throat and acting stupid but don’t you dare smoke that reefer! You’ll go mad! Was in Michigan this past weekend and was amazed how busy all the dispensaries were, parking lots were full. When are people going to wake up and realize the $$$ potential for these communities, with all the related businesses also. Regulate it like alcohol. Much safer.

3 Likes

I think one would have to gobble a bunch of edibles upon embarkation… :wink:

2 Likes

In my state only about 1% of the sales tax and 1% of the marijuana tax goes to the local community, everything else goes back to the state’s pork fund(s)… And the studies they have shown, show most out-of-towners only come to town for the dispensaries, they don’t actually patronize the other local businesses to any significant degree…

So yes there is money to be made by taxation, but it’s a slippery slope because unlike alcohol and tobacco that take a significant amount of time to get a ‘good’ product for the price it can be purchased at, making it undesirable to most to even try… Marijuana can be grown easily by pretty much anyone and even if not grown by you the black market growers can grow cheaper and better than commercial offerings…

In my state no serious smoker is buying from the dispensaries unless they have a medical card that gets them huge discounts, it’s the casual weekend warriors that buy from the dispensaries… The state taxed it beyond street value, so most daily smokers are still buying from their dealers getting better products for less cost…

1 Like

agreed!

That’s what I get for assuming. The worker bee did say that probably 80% of business is from out of state. Maybe it’s some of the “candy store “ affect also. With all the varieties looking pretty in the glass jars.:crazy_face: