Autoflower Runtz - small buds

I am growing this Runtz auto in a tent and noticed it has extremely small buds. I topped it during early stages of growth in order to not have a large cola which is susceptible to mold. The plant is otherwise healthy but I have never grown an auto with such small buds. Any thoughts or comments on this grow would be appreciated.
Thanks.

2 Likes

What kind of light are you using?

3 Likes

Either lighting, or that ruderalis (autoflower) gene is strong.

3 Likes

MAXSISUN PB1500 Grow Light, 150W LED Grow Lights for Indoor Plants

Also, is it going to be worth harvesting this plant when the buds are this size? Looks like these are gonna be time consuming to trim up. Please let me know what you guys think.
Thanks

1 Like

Looks like the ruderalis is strong with this one. Sort of the luck of the draw. You can grow it out, might get some decent bud, or you could start over and grow a photo and be able to control your plant instead of your plant controlling you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Do you do anything with edibles, kief, or extracts? I had a plant this last grow do something very similar, gave me a two foot long cola and the buds in it were all foxtails.

I found it difficult to trim, so I put it into a grove bag and am gonna save it for kief mining and making quick wash. It grinds like any other buds but is a pain to trim.

2 Likes

Never tried making kief, edibles, or extracts. Still trying to dial in growing bud to smoke. It is definitely a work in progress!!

1 Like

If you have a trim bin, very simple process. If you do not yet have a trim bin, please do yourself a solid and get one. I just trimmed my last plant, pretty small Blue Zkittles, I collected 0.6gm of kief off the trim off 10.6gm bud. Might not seem like much but with the rough average of 55% THC in the kief, it will help make your weekend, new friends, your new friend’s weekend, etc. And it’s all off stuff you would throw out usually. Also, if you have access to everclear you can make quick wash etoh tincture, which evaporated down gives you FECO or Rick Simpson oil if already decarbed. If you ever want to get into the edibles or extracts game @Caligurl is a great resource.

2 Likes

All my trim or not desired to smoke, gets screened then “mined”.
Inventory reduction/consolidation process routine, too.
Amazon.com - Harvest More Trim Bin.
or for the more discerning,
Handcrafted red cedar rolling tray with kieef screen

1 Like

Was your plant a Runtz or another strain and was it auto or photo?

It was a compost plant, so not sure. The last seeds I threw in there were sativa crosses but was basically a “well look at you there!” Find so no idea. I know another grower had something similar not long ago. Like the other posters have remarked, ruderalis landraces all look similar to your plant, so I would bet a good penny on it that is what is showing up. Sometimes we are lucky in our roll of genetic dice, sometimes not. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Ah yes, the old mystery plant strikes again! When one of those surprises pops up, you never know what’ll happen next. Glad to hear it wasn’t a strain that I paid good $$ to buy seeds for. Thanks for the info.

1 Like