164 TDS from the tap

Hey everyone!

My tap water is 164 ppm TDS. Even my filtered water is 164. So much for the filter…

Is this too high in your opinions to feed my plants? I’ve been using distilled water (11 ppm) so far but was hoping to make the switch soon.

Are u sure your meter is working correctly…
It sure seems strange that your getting the same reading before and after the filter…
I have 2 meters and they read 100 ppm different from each other… So if one say’s 150 ppm the other one say’s 250 ppm so who knows which one is right… Ssoooo I’m waiting on a 3rd one right now to see what it say’s …:rage::disappointed::unamused::fearful:
I guess my point is make sure your meter is working…:relaxed:

:v::sunglasses:

4 Likes

Hmm, I suppose it could be the meter. I’m not overly surprised about the filter though. It was cheap and one of the reviews said the same thing. I figured it might be better than nothing.

With that, thoughts on 164ppm?

Hard to say without a local water report…
Most people feel that 200 ppm and under is OK to use but I think the closer to 0 ppm that you can get is the best choice…

:v::sunglasses:

1 Like

I keep test calibration solutions on hand for both my ph and ppm meters and recalibrate them every couple of weeks or if a reading seems odd higher or lower than last time I mixed same nutrients etc.

3 Likes

Considering it showed 11 TDS for distilled I think it’s working ok :slight_smile:

Matthew think you and I may be on the same water supply neighbor, it used to be around a hundred but recently I noticed it went up to about 130 here

I also have a thread on here about radical pH change in city water or some of those search words if you’re interested in finding it because that pH fluctuates greatly too, at first it was so great a fluctuation I thought my meeter was ofg or that I was imagining it

3 Likes

Holy shit! Where do you live, Flint Michigan?

@raustin Boston. Is your water better? I don’t really know what good water is. I know it’s clean and tastes good with no odor so I drink it - after heating it and forcing it through ground coffee…

4 Likes

My water comes from a lake right here in Andover MA. Probably not the same supply but now that I have my TDS meter it will be something I check (with PH) at each watering.

1 Like

LOL! My husband won’t let me drink tap unless it’s been filtered through a Brita. But NYC water does taste good.

I always use straight tap to water my plants and they haven’t complained. Our water is very hard and is always 7.0 pH which will not budge no matter what you do to it. It’s ppm is almost nothing though.

2 Likes

Well, send some “almost nothing PPM water” my way!

2 Likes

Actually, I remember Boston water to be pretty good.

Love Beantown, one of my favorite cities.

2 Likes

I’m more of a country boy. I live north of the city in a small, woodsy town. I go to Boston only when I have too. Nowhere to park and traffic is miserable.

I was born in Poughkeepsie. Still a sox fan though, sorry. hehe

2 Likes

Really? Boston is such a pretty city, but yeah the traffic is a nightmare, much worse than here. That’s why I walk everywhere. :wink:

I haven’t driven a car in almost thirty years. LOL! My drivers license expired in 1997.

2 Likes

It is a pretty city, as with anywhere there are bad areas too. The Public gardens are nice. Very colorful in the summer. Took this shot last year while there.

Hehe, I couldn’t go without my car but then again, I’m no in the city. Would be weird I bet if you tried to drive now.

very tropical looking - would have been a good place to “spark a spliff - ya mon!”
(Jamaican accent)

1 Like

Beautiful photography, it looks like a postcard.

I couldn’t drive now! Funny thing is, NYC is perfectly willing to renew my license without a driving test!!! WTF!!

1 Like

Thank you. It’s something I enjoy and will help me with the Bud of the Month someday. A good lens can make a mediocre bud look pretty :slight_smile:

All they hear is “Cha-Ching!” another renewal fee received! Good luck out there.

3 Likes

It’s really good! …I’m just north of, and on Boston Water, I assumed our new friend in Andover was as well but I guess it’s not so

By the way I agree with Matthew, Boston is… great I guess to visit but I’m from downtown so I’ll hold my comments

Regarding Andover, my last ex is from there so I avoid it like the plague! I’d rather go to Boston and try to find parking during rush hour …and on fire

4 Likes