Good luck to you my friend and happy growing I’m off to my bed 4 am start tomorrow
Ok happy growing to you too. Night my friend. I’ll be off to bed here soon. I don’t have that early of a start mine is at 7am.
Man what a night and day difference.
keep it up and happy growing
Thank you. Yeah with everyone’s help and advice on here plus all of the reading I am doing I am slowly getting them where they need to be. I still have a bit of adjustments to my soil it seems like. I tested the run off this afternoon after work and it came up at a ph of 4.6 on on and 4.9 on the second one. I have not been adding nutrients where I was trying to get my stuff to 6.5ph. So I am going to keep watering with 6.5 water and only add food to then if I notice they may need it to see if I can correct the soil. I don’t understand how my soil dropped that low ![]()
@Shaggy01 are you adjusting your water PH to 6.5 and then adding nutrients after? If so, that very likely is the cause of the extreme PH - most nutrients will drop PH rather than raise it so I start with my plain tap water, add my nutes, and then add PH Down as needed. For an idea, I use about a gallon of water with a ph of 8.1 out of the tap. 1/2 strength nutrients usually drags my PH down to 6.3-6.5. I personally have to PH Down to 5.8 but I am growing hydroponics. When I water my soil plant, I leave it at 6.5 (where my nutes naturally brought the PH without any PH Down added)
@Graysin No I got my ph up and ph down so I adjusted my tap water for watering. I have my nutrition mixed in another container and have adjusted it to the 6.5 once I mixed up. So my “clean water” is at a ph 6.5 and my “feeding water” is at ph 6.5 after everything was mixed in. I just got everything withing the last week to test. My tap water comes out at a ph of 7.58. I have to bring up my ph from around the 4 mark after adding my nutrition. I was thinking maybe it was where I started out with out knowing to test it and for the first few months I fed with out changing the ph or my tap water. I have learned alot from the little time I have been on this forum. I read a the guides and also listened to audio books but they didn’t touch in depth on the ph
@Shaggy01 hmm. My rather limited understanding of PH fluctuations are that a: your adjuster is temporary in nature (I think this is most common when using things like household vinegar to PH down) and thus requires frequent adjustments, or b: your plant is causing the fluctuation.
Here’s a quote from a different site that may shed a little light: “ Plants secrete acids and bases in their root zone to adjust the pH depending on what nutrients they want to eat. If a plant wants more phosphorous and potassium, it may actually secrete an acid, dropping the pH of the rest, so that it can uptake more P and K. It is also possible if the plant wants more calcium, for instance, that it may raise the pH in order to make that calcium more available. If we decide that 6 is the perfect number and every single time the point moves to 6.2 or 5.8 and we run in there and adjust it, it is possible we can be working against our plants.”
The thought here is that by constantly giving her a 6.5 ph water and she needs more of a nutrient that she absorbs at lower PHs, she may be dropping the soil PH beyond appropriate levels. This, of course, is my personal completely unverified and unscientific theory that I wholly welcome a more experienced grower to dispute. But it makes a fair bit of logical sense.
@Graysin ok thank you it started to kinda freak me out. I was going to just water for a while at 6.5 and not do anything drastically and see if it had adjusted by itself if not then I would start looking at a soil flush but that was going to be a dead last option.
@Shaggy01 Looking good!
Question - how far away are your lights? These girls look a little stretchy - that could just be their genetics but I’m curious if they could handle more.
@Graysin they were at around 4in to 5in away from the top of the plant up until this morning I just moved the lights up to 12in away the top part of the plant.
Are they dimmables or is that full strength?
They are full non dimmable LEDs I’m looking at trying to upgrade the light to bigger dimmable ones later.
@Shaggy01 Yeah, it looks like more light is in their future for a great yield. I bet you’ll still get a decent one with what you have based on how well they’re doing, but it does seem dark in there.
@Graysin I knew they needed alot of light that is why I put it each of the lights about 4in above each plant but the lights instructions say to keep them at 12 to 39 inches above so I put them at the 12 in zone to see if they seem to be not happy ill drop it down again. I want to get 2 2x4 full spectrum LED lights I am just looking at different ones right now
Hey guys and gals hope everyone’s having a good Monday. Update on the girls this morning I did a drastic thing and transplanted the girls Friday night out of MG soil into a 50% topsoil 25% sand 25% Black Kow manure that is .5 .5 .5. I flushed the plants with water and as the MG dirt became swampy I carefully pulled the plant and roots up and rinsed the roots then put them in the new dirt mix I made. Yes I left some MG dirt on them because I didn’t want to hurt them more by trying to fully wash the roots and it seemed like it would have hurt them worst to do that. One on the left is still in the 1400 to 1600 ppm range but I am guessing that is the left over MG soil. The one on the right is doing good at around 500 ppm. I also noticed the dirt mix I made let’s more water drain though it so it drys out in about two days max and that is with fans also. This is them as of this morning. Hope the girls the best now.
Get ready for some taaaaall plants! ![]()



























