Stop taking up nutrients

I have a question hopefully somebody can help me out on I have a plant in flower and it stopped taking nutrients it’s drinking water but not uptaking nutrients nutrients is higher than it is when I put it in pH is on q 5.8

1 Like

Any pics to see what the plant looks like to maybe diagnose

Yeah I have pictures but it’s in flower kind of hard to see

2 Likes

:point_up_2: is the medium coco :love_you_gesture:

Hydroponics

1 Like

If you are in hydro then when it drinks water it is taking in nutrient. How are you determining that it is leaving the nutrient behind but consuming the water?

It might be easier to see if the pic was in regular lighting.

2 Likes

When I mix my nutrients it’s at 8:50 900 ppms the plant is drinking half a gallon a day so every other day I give it a gallon ppms 850 900 when I go back the next day the ppms are 1100 and the water is dropped

1 Like

Shouldnt the ppm remain the same or close to the same given for meters readings not always perfect? If you have a gallon of water that is 400 PPM, pour 1/2 of it into a container both containers will still have 400ppm even though half the liquid is gone. Given for discrepency in meter readings you seem spot on having put in a total of 900ppms and reading it at 1100 is a 200ppm discrepancy between readings, which isnt alot. To make sure im understanding you. You are worried because the ppms in your rez arent going down?

1 Like

Yes a little worried because the ppms aren’t going down with the water should I just top off with or water through the whole grow when the water goes down ppms go down or stay the same I start out at 900 ppms it drinks a gallon the ppms are still $900 but for some reason now the water’s going down and the ppms are going up don’t understand that

Does your plant look at all unhealthy? As for your ppm going up a couple hundred over time, id check your meter. Do 10 readings, 1 every 10 mins do you get the same reading each time?

3 Likes

I understand if you mix a gallon of water with 400 ppms you divide that into two half gallons PPM will still be 400 I just wanted to add or clear up I mixed 2 gallons of water at 900 ppms it drinks a gallon still should be 900 ppms not 1100 is it possible that I could have overfed and created nutrient lockout

1 Like

I dont think 1100 ppm for a short of time as that would cause a nutrient lockout. I would check your meter and maybe recalibrate and its pretty easy to get a lil extra nutes into your solution and/or forget to check ppms every once in a while. The pictures dont show any kind of nutrient lockout signs, they look pretty healthy

If you’re nutrients are mixed up in a reservoir as the plant drinks the water it takes up nutrients the numbers will never drop this should always stay the same because it’s eating the nutrient and the water so it’s not taking or adding it’s taking both nutrient and water when you refill your nutrients solution in the reservoir perhaps the numbers are a little bit high or there’s a little residue in the bottom of the reservoir that gets stirred back up just my thoughts :v: 1100 ppms is right around where you want to be

2 Likes

The plants are “spitting out” what they don’t want @Mavrick . I’m flood and drain and I’ve been having the same thing going on. I use a cheap auto doser to keep ph stable. I’ve been studying this issue for a while and it’s normal to have the ppm rise and ph drop as they take in nutrients. I used to have to manually adjust ph up every day…those days are over

2 Likes

What has the RH been like lately?
I would say if the plant looks healthy and you want to keep your ppm at a certain range, just measure what it’s at before you add and just decrease the ppm a little of what you add .
As you said, its not a huge difference so if plant is happy just make note of it and roll on :grin:

1 Like

Those plants don’t look like there’s any lockout to me. Very healthy looking @Mavrick .

3 Likes

Like stated just dilute your nutrient mix to the desired TDS between rez changes. 1,100 ppm is where I’d want to be while in flower, unless it’s an auto. Then I’d run 800 to 900 ppm.

ppm goes up ph drops…plants want less nutrients…was what I was trying to say @Mavrick. Those plants look very healthy and happy…good luck

1 Like

I keep the RH 45 right now