Southwest Florida Outdoor Grow "Timing"

First time poster, not yet a grower. I’m grateful that there are forums here to reach out to – hello y’all!

I’m in Southwest Florida and we are entering into the cooler months (although rarely freezing). If this a good time to start germinating or should I wait until next year?

I bought SuperSkunk Autoflower seeds last year and then time just got away from me. Planning on using a barrel on wheels to plant in should there be any inclement weather.

I’d welcome any advice and recommendations from those of you in my area. Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

Welcome! I’m not sure on the germination this time of year down there. Maybe @Budbrother might know?

3 Likes

It’s auto season here. The time of year the heat, humidity and temps fall in line. That starts 2nd wk September-May. If you don’t have your last harvest in by May, then the rain, heat… will give you bud rot. I’d plant now. You may have to cover it a couple times around January. Start inside, if possible, this late in the season.

5 Likes

Thank You! My husband and I actually have a “Plan B” should we need to hide from the occasional colder temps that we sometimes get. I will start a couple seeds today since I’m way behind!
I’m as green as it gets when it comes to this stuff, but that’s a good thing, right? Hehe.
Thanks again!

4 Likes

One plants for outdoors generally in the spring. Its Winter now and even though you are in South Florida with warmer Winters the DLI in Winter is not great for any plant even autoflowers.

Get a farmers almanac and study it some as it has alot of great info. Figure out what zone you live in and the planting dates for that zone.

1 Like

Spoken like somebody who doesn’t live here in The Sunshine State. I’ve spent my whole life in Florida, growing 25+ years

6 Likes

I might have 2-3 frost mornings that they need to be covered with a sheet. Doesn’t look strange with the other flowers covered.

2 Likes

We’ve been living in SWFL since 2013. We got used to putting rollers on all of the barrels/pots for hurricanes and the occasional frost. We don’t have any real “nosy parkers” over here either, which is nice. Everyone is like-minded waiting for the state to catch up :wink:

2 Likes

You’ll find most of S Florida is cool like Collier County. It’s when you go up above Winter Garden or Clermont that chit gets real.

Edit - Best of luck. Tag me if you need me

3 Likes

Its not the temps its the DLI. I dont have to live in south Florida to know that. Can ya grow a plant in winter, sure. Will it be anywhere close to its maximum potential under less light and low temps? No.

The best advice i can give the op is to save those expensive seeds for warmer weather and maximum potential.

Ok :+1:t3: then. I know nothing. :+1:t3::+1:t3:

Please explain this low dli during winter in southern Florida?

With intensity of sunlight it typically only takes about 10 hours per day to hit ideal dli. Then you have to consider the days in southern Florida are never really all that long due to the geographical location to the equator. After considering all of that, this member is talking about growing an auto. While maybe not the most ideal time to grow, if frost/temps aren’t an issue there is plenty of opportunity to turn a $10-$20 seed into several hundred dollars worth of bud.

4 Likes

You basically cover it above. We don’t need to confuse new members and growers. Thanks @dbrn32 The key takeaway. It comes down to only time year that the heat, humidity, daily rain, bugs, hurricanes, etc doesn’t :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: you. Then you loose most to bud rot. Some better than none “greenthumbs”

Summers here are intense, so you also get loose buds. Similar to how a landrace grows. Because of all the heat and the humidity combined with constant rain, they tend to naturally grow looser to allow more airflow between buds further, reducing the chance of rot.

5 Likes

Have you seen the size of our grasshoppers

3 Likes

While I can appreciate the recommendation to hold off due to the precious nature of these seeds, I need to start somewhere :slight_smile: Even if I louse up this particular round (gonna start with maybe 2), I will definitely learn from it and eventually learn all this “hip lingo.” LOL

Thanks again!

3 Likes

I’d drop another round in February as well. Spring is usually poking around then, and it’s the last Auto drop of the season. Should come due before all the rains and return to higher humidity.

2 Likes

As in avaliable sun, not daylength. Winter days without clouds are not the norm, even in Florida.

Just not worth the diminished yields to me but… Hey if someone wants to do it then I’m all in.

WelcomeI’m here in the Mid South and aware of your climate. Have you started your seed? Some things to remember.
1~ your seed is a cross between 20%Skunk (hybrid) and 80%
Afagani which is a indica. It thrives in a Mediteranian climate.
2~ Gonna smell like skunk! I would grow outside unless you have some neighbors that don’t like skunk. Then your house will smell like skunk.
3~Autoflower plants grow small, if you use the right food your plant may get anywhere from 2’~3’ but not a giant. Autos have their own cycles so light is not a problem generally. Expect 3~4 harvest a year.
4~make sure your barrel has good drainage.
5~ Don’t go cheap with soil, this is important.
6~ Use food, there are a lot of good ones ILGM sell a good food, Jacks321 works good.
7~ If you grow outside you may want to invest in some bug net or better yet build a small greenhouse.
8~ Water is important check yours for PH, you can buy a cheap meter on Amazon or something like a pool test kit.
9~many ways to start seeds I put mine in my lucky shot glass and put in cabinet for a couple of days, check freq. when they start to grow tap root transplant to a solo cup. you can grow in solo cup till you think its going to be warm enough to put in your barrel.
10~ When you transplant loosen the soil in the cup and take a second cup and make a hole using the cup, take plant with soil and put in the new hole, easy peazy. Water but don’t overwater. One of the hardest things to do is leave them alone.
11~ A lot of people keep journals on how regular they feed and water, starting out thats a wise thing. That should get you going there are a lot of people on this site that are willing to walk you guys through it. Mike AKA Cat1

1 Like

BTW DLI is Daily Light Integral, the amount of light your plant gets for photosynthesis.

@Budbrother Happy New Year and thanks for the wisdom you dropped in this comment. I’m coming from CO & OR and after a couple years of living here and doing outdoor vegetable and fruit grows I’m still learning growing here in Lee County area.

You mentioned February for the last auto of the season. I’ve got some photoperiod seeds in a cart right now I’m itching to checkout with but should I wait on those to later in the year or are they good to plant in Feb. as well ?

Appreciate any suggestions/comments/thoughts you may have.

1 Like