Southwest Florida Outdoor Grow "Timing"

You could start a photo inside. On Feb 14, we’ll get 11 hrs 10 min of sunlight. That’s not conducive to starting a photo outside, but you could take a mature, photoperiod, plant outside for flowering.

1 Like

Thanks for the info and I think I’ll do exactly start. Get them going indoors and plant outside later on. That said with the days steadily getting longer what should I aim for in terms of time of flowering? I’m thinking I should have those finished before mid May and we head into hurricane season and the really high temps and humidity.

1 Like

You’d wanna em done, for sure, by first week of June. The years vary, but usually, the weather turns by the 2-3rd week of June.

1 Like

WELCOME… Give it a shot!! Since you re growing an Auto it has the Ruderalis…so it may take some cold…I had an “accidental” plant growing in winter and it did get close to if not freeze temps but it was near the house and under an eave but still got to be a few feet tall and buds too!So it can be done…Just protect it from harsh weather and frost but being in Florida you probably wont have to deal with much of that!
Keep us posted!! Good Lick!

Thank you, everyone, for the sage advice! Sorry I’ve been MIA over the holidays, but you know how it is. I am now ready to proceed since I have everything I need – including info that you kind people have provided!

I’ll be starting out with two (God willing). Will post here as to progress as events warrant :slight_smile: :smile:

2 Likes

I wish you happy growing. :smiley: We’ve been getting a lot of rain, for this time of year.

1 Like

I know, right? We’ve had more rain in the last 30-45 days than we’d had all Summer it seems. I actually “kicked” my tomato seedlings out of the house during the last deluge and they’re thriving in the cool temps and moist air. Go figure.

Thanks for the well wishes :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello friends!
I’ve got two seeds in water since the 15th. One has a half-inch tail, the other has nothing (will address that later).

I have the seedling booster that I understand will be added to the soil that I will drop that first seed into.

My question is how much of the booster do I add to the soil (about a cup in a peat planter – the kind that you can put directly in the soil)? I’m guessing just a pinch at the top to be watered in gradually, but if there’s a better method (mixing), I’m all ears :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Congratulations :seedling:

Not sure what this is or how to use

1 Like

Down here in South Florida the best time to move outside is late November/early December. You can actually move the plants outside again in January, but now it might be too late. 12 hour days are coming in a couple months and you need a couple months of flowering time.

I start indoors in late October and after 1 month, move them outside and let Mother Nature do her thing.

I wouldn’t use anything when they are seedlings. Just sprout and put in a cup with clean unused soil and water with rainwater until they are 6 inches tall or so. Don’t overthink it. You don’t want to burn them when they are small.

1 Like

March 21 and September 22 equinox for both hemispheres

2 Likes

Hello local Floridian. I’m in north central Florida I have just moved my super skunk auto outdoors it is like 2 months old or less but it had outgrown my tent. Question is will it be fine outdoors since the heat and humidity will be tapering off soon just want to make sure nothing special I would need to do to get it situated outside so not stressing it . Just joined site after seeing there are locals on here

1 Like

Tough call with hurricanes season, but more than likely, you’ll be fine. Any hurricanes and rain will help with watering and the cooler temperatures will come right when you’re flowering. With that age, you hit auto season perfectly for Florida weather. You can get this crop and another before the weather starts to turn again in mid March.

Edit: welcome to the forum

Yeah so far we have been lucky with hurricanes. I was hoping timing was good I have another one that is close to same age that will be going outside also soon. Hopefully I can keep the grasshoppers off had a few of those big uns hanging around took care of them.

Autos are new to me so not sure what to expect with them had the Girl Scout autos and they got like 6 foot tall. Still a rookie at growing still learning.
Thank you again I will be pestering you with questions.

1 Like

Insecticide sprays usually are not needed or effective on the Eastern Lubber grasshoppers. You gotta kill/spray early in the year when they’re black with yellow stripe before they get to adults. Kill off any population when young.

Also avoid canna lilies around. They love the taste of them, and will draw in adults from your area.

Yes I try and kill any I see especially when still little. Definitely will keep all of that away as of now there in a good open area nothing really around them but a couple cedar trees thankfully the bugs haven’t been as bad as in years past. Those suckers will wipe you out in a very short time nothing left but a stem.

1 Like