PPM question for ya

Hey all.
I went through a lot of the old posts to try and find a definitive answer on this and was unable. So I will ask here.
I am growing in FF Happy Frog soil. I keep my ph on or around 6 and my well water I use has around 320 ppm naturally (high, I know).
When I use my fox farm trio at half the suggested dosage to feed EVERY OTHER watering, it ppms at about 1,300.
I regularly get about 100 to 200 ppm higher on my runoff (1400 to 1500) with a good PH of between 5.9 and 6.
I have read that you want LOWER ppm out than the ppm going in.
If I need to drop my nutes to a quarter, I am ready to do that.
Thoughts please.
My plants are in their second week of flowering.
I have also included some photos although I doubt you need them for this particular topic.

Shock

1 Like

They look healthy, I would drop the nutes a little but not drastically each time. You could also try a flush first to see if that resets it and gets rid of some of the excess…

Lots of different opinions out there. Others will chime in.

1 Like

Yeah, I definitely don’t have any signs of nute burn or deficiency for that matter. Just want to make sure I am NAILING it, you know? Getting the science down. Thank you for taking the time to answer me. :pray:

Fox Farms does have a schedule for flushing with Sledgehammer at specific times. They look good to me though :potted_plant:

1 Like

Thanks, Beck!

1 Like

What are concerned about exactly? Your ph is too low?

Nope
That my ppm is higher in my runoff by 100-200 ppm than the fertilizer/water concoction’s ppms when I put it in.
For instance. My ff trio is at about 1300 when I pour it in the plant.
You still with me?
And then it is about 1400-1500 ppm on runoff. PH is fine. In and out.

Shock

This happens to me alot also, I contribute it to the speed in which I water.
Do a soil slurry. Get a soil sample from somewhere around center between pot wall and center mast of plant. Go 2 inches below top soil. Take sample and mix 1:1 with distilled or RO water. (I do 1 tblsp each) agetate and stir for 1 min then allow to settle for 15 mins. Ph and tds the solution for an accurate reading. Runoff isnt the most accurate way to tell, its ment more as a guide. Track it and use it to tell when something has changed. I like to feed when runoff is around 800-1000ppm.

This seams low to me. I ph to 6.8 try to keep my soil/runoff around 6.5. 6 is kinda low for phos in soil.

Your plants look mad healthy though. Im not sure I would change anything your doing.

3 Likes

Thanks, bro. They are healthy as **** (you believe they don’t allow cursing on here?).
But I feel like there is always room for improvement in my grow game, you know?
Maybe the PH adjustment you are suggesting is the improvement I am looking for?
Thanks again, dude.

2 Likes

I do. I spent 6 months starving my plants of light trying to avoid foxtails. Finally I decided I didnt care if my buds had lil bumps all over em. It was a difficult time.

2 Likes

Don’t fox tails have some other detrimental effect on the buds though?
I am a little ignorant on that topic, frankly.

1 Like

It depends. Some plants its a part of their genetics others (most) not so much. If left unchecked it can give you alot of imature trichomes. There is a difference between foxtails and whst I was counting as foxtails. Ill show ya what I mean.

This is one of my ladies. She has what I was considering foxtail. Circled it in yellow. This is not detrimental foxtailing. Couldnt tell me that 6 mnths ago but it isnt.

This is what detrimental foxtailing looks like.
Not my plant

Damn. That bottom one is ugly as hell. No mistaking that when it happens. :joy:
Yours doesn’t seem to be effected in NEARLY that way, dude.

1 Like

@Docnraq gotcha covered Brother. Ladies look healthy :love_you_gesture:

1 Like

Don’t want to start a new thread so I’m going to try and use this one…so two days ago i did a straight water only and runoff was 800 so i went to feed and today runoff was 1200 im currently using jack 321 and ppm in was 1200 should i be worried or was the soil so dry that the nut water went straight through…i also spaced out the feeding so not to dump it all at once if that matters

Hey, bud.
I started watering and feeding to 20 percent runoff and it solved my PPM issue.
Thanks for the tip.

Shock

1 Like

Right on Brother! That’s good to hear :love_you_gesture: