Outdoor guerilla grow in the Alaskan Bush: the 3 Stooges

Dimmer passed its test. The light, itself, is so compact & small! Crazy how much space my other lights take up, in comparison.

Now that I’ve done one, I’m definitely interested in learning more. The possibilities are truly endless, aren’t they?

5 Likes

You bet! There’s a whole bunch of different leds we can use, and tweak on things like efficiency, light spectrum, and obviously light intensity.

2 Likes

I have been so excited setting up my indoor grow area that I forgot, yesterday was The Stooges’ 5th week from germination!

I’ll add some pics to this post in a bit. The girls are really going, now! Larry is catching up to Moe, and little Shemp is racing towards both.

Moe has beautiful node spacing. I hope to get an indoor plant to look like that.

Also, I fed them today. I usually aim for Mondays, or as needed, but since I’ll be leaving them on Sunday (and I can’t access them much this weekend,except to water them quickly/sneakily before I go), I decided to do it while I had the chance.

To 2 qts h20 they recieved: 4ml grow, 4ml bloom, 1.5 tsp catalyst, 1.5 tsp Persephone’s Palate, 4ml voodoo, 4ml b52, and 4ml big bud. Ph’d to 6.7.

Here are some pics. The white residue on the leaf tips is from Piranha.

8 Likes

They grow up so fast!

Ok, full disclosure, I overdid my afternoon meds, but it was 4:20, and all, so there’s that. I feel no guilt.

Anyway, @dbrn32 how difficult would it be to:
A. build a frame oversized for what would typically be used for the space said frame is being built, to allow space to…
B. install strips, staggered slightly, at different spectra, something like several rows of 2700, 3000, 3500, 4000, etc., so that different temperatures could be selected for different stages of grow.
C. make individual strips, temperatures, sections, whatever… dimmable.
D. add selective uv and far red sections for simulating seasons effectively.
E. Put all of this on a controller/timer to effectively mimic mother nature…fade the uv/far red in the morning and evening, dim/pot up sections from one side and down the other to provide a light mover-ish effect.

Sorry, it’s EDC in my garden today. I have the place to myself for a while, and I’m taking advantage, doing some gardancing whilst slightly overmedicated :man_dancing: :crazy_face: :smile:

Look, I know I’m weird. At least it’s entertaining, right? It is for me :smile:

3 Likes

I can be done, but the cost would be very high. High enough that I’d struggle to convince myself to invest the time to see how much for sure lol.

To do a light like this in something like your fridge wouldn’t be an astronomical amount. But it’s a small space. I wanna say the controller alone would probably be a few hundred bucks. Probably another couple hundred to integrate everything. And then you still have to buy and build the lights,

I don’t typically work with stuff like that because of the cost associated with. It seems like the general consensus is that it doesn’t have enough impact on your grows to justify the cost. Kind led does most of that stuff, and once you take away the folks that squirreled out on an expensive amazon light, nobody is banging down doors to get them. There’s a guy in lab doing side by side right now with k5 xl750 and hlg-600. His report is that the hlg-600 is smoking it to this point. And that’s plain Jane 3000k 80cri color spectrum.

2 Likes

@dbrn32 I’ve read that ultraviolet blue light will increase trichome/resin production up to 30% if used in the last 3-5 weeks of flowering. Is that true?

1 Like

I see! What if I cobbled it together, “controller” and all? It wouldn’t have to be crazy sophisticated. Just enough to do the job. I’ll look into it. Give me a few weeks to think/Google on it.

I believe so, to some extent. What seems to be more of a question is how much difference does it make more specifically from uvb, uva, violet, and blue wavelengths?

I think they all contribute to trichrome production. What’s not exactly clear is how much of each. Or maybe more importantly what the relationship is there between lights and nutrients, and what is the ideal balance. There’s some awfully frosty buds coming from 30-50% blue spectrums with none of the other stuff.

2 Likes

It would be so much fun to have a lab garden to test such things. Run a dozen clones off the same mother, fiddle with lighting and feeding of each, and observe.

2 Likes

It would. Isolating variables and having the settings to repeat would be something for sure.

2 Likes

uvb is what I read. it is what I read about the fourbudz grow light. They include the uvb in their spectrum for the last 3-5 weeks of flowering. My question is, how can I accomplish this without having their led grow light? Do they make a supplemental bulb with that particular spectrum?

I’ve read it too. However it’s not hard to find info that seems suggest it’s not necessary either.

1 Like

I see. sales pitch! lol

1 Like

What a difference a week makes, huh?

7 Likes

Were these staying outdoors, or going in the 2.5 x 5?

They are 100% outdoor! I would never ever ever risk contaminating my indoor grow room. Ever.

3 Likes

Moved up the visqueen cover by 4 inches. I’m starting to worry that over the next 8 days they’ll grow too tall for their cover. I could remove the cover, but then I risk too much rain, as well as moose attack.

I think I’ll leave it.

2 Likes

Living where you are I know getting things Way to Grow: Make a Garden Cold Frame Using Hula Hoops | HGTV - YouTube as easy as for me and others, but the concept of this might be of help.

1 Like

PS: I have confidence in your creativity :grin:

2 Likes

Thanks for the video! Maybe when I get back! Right now, I am technically growing guerilla style & can only work on my garden if the wife is asleep, at work, or otherwise not privvy to what I’m doing. Earlier, I got the 3rd degree b/c I was getting out some cable ties. Lol!

Also, we have several hula hoops at our house, already, so this project would be very easy. But…I think that in a week these girls are going to be 2-3 feet tall. They’ll most likely live out the rest of their lives in the bed of my truck. I have some pvc frames ready to go & lots of visqueen, so they should do well, there.

1 Like