This is my first outdoor grow from seed to harvest. I sprayed hydrogen peroxide mix on the plants toward the end about 3 times a week to help prevent any bud rot. I also washed them both in the hydrogen peroxide/ water bath, rinsed them in water and hung to dry for 6 days. When the stems snapped it was time to trim. Upon trimming I found these dark brown spots (see pics) on the buds. Is this dried bud rot or something from the rinses. I am hoping this won’t effect the harvest.
Thank in advance!
Looks like bud rot to me, I do 4 searches for it while growing, during the chop,wash,hang dry, during trim before they go into cure jars, and before they vac packed for storage and freezer, still find more once in while.
Could it still be used to make butter for edibles? This was why I grew these plants was to use it for butter.
That is a form of mold, you don’t want to ingest it in any form! Lots of air circulation will help more than peroxide, peroxide works for WPM but rot is almost always from humidity or no air moving through canopy.![]()
cut out all the brown spot and a bit more to be sure, you can still use that for butter.
Just a quick jump in here. If it looks like bud rot, get rid of it. I usually cut 2.5 to 3 inches above and below any bud rot. I just had to throw out entire branches because it was so pervasive on my GFOG plant. It’s really one of the reasons why I grow more plants than I think that I’m going to need. Weather, bugs, bud rot, caterpillars, genetics, all those things can easily take an entire plant out. If I know that I need to have 3 solid plants for my ideal harvest weight, I’ll plant 5-6. Just in case. Even though you may not want to, the criteria that I use is always “would I want my Mom/Dad, brothers/sisters, wife or Adult children to buy or smoke that from someone else?” The answer is invariably NO, so I err on the side of caution. I threw away four to five, 5-gallon buckets of bud rot, caterpillar eaten, bug damaged, bud/stem/leaf waste. Definitely in the poundage range. But I grew enough where I still ended up with over 10 pounds of usable buds from all of my different plants. If you grow too much, you can always give or throw it away. But if your short on your grow, then you have to find/buy more. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. It’s just not worth it health wise to keep it if it’s bad. Best of luck.
Thanks! I thought it might be bad but never have thrown away two lbs of weed before. But I have 1/2 lb stashed of varying strains and have three plants in the tents and three seedlings trying to sprout.
I will be good till next growing season and will try again.
Thanks for everyone’s input. I appreciate this forum and all the experienced growers on here sharing advice!
First time grower. Started two Purple Gorilla autos indoors, moved outdoors into the garden once soil warmed enough in May. We are in upoer midwest. Was a rather hot and humid summer. They grew nicely, but I may have harvested a week or two early and i believe i dried them adequately with a 24/7 fan breeze, but not direct.
Here is my question. Is the brown darker coloring in pics bud rot? Buds are about 3 or 4 weeks into burping. Removed from jars for picture. Just want to know if it is bud rot and if i have to destroy every bud with brown on it? Thank you.
I do not see rot, it is usually unmistakable, you will know when you break a bud apart.. ![]()
If any has rot check the right one of the 2 in hand.
Absolutely! If it’s fuzzy, not good!
Could the rotted batch be used for topicals to help with pain and inflammation? It never enters your system/blood stream. Salves have help people with neuropathy and arthritis and was curious if infected weed could be used for that purpose? Thoughts?
Good ? But IMO no get it as far away from everything it is a mold and I would not trust it.
Salves absorb into the skin, I wouldn’t take the chance of using any bud rot or moldy weed. I’ve heard you can wash buds with peroxide, but I chuck anything questionable!![]()
Thx everyone. We did throw it out. It was heartbreaking to do after all the time and effort it took but we don’t want to compromise health. It was a great learning experience so moving forward, we can learn.
We appreciate you all here so much. Thank you! (Mrs soh)![]()










