Info on Ink Bird Humidistat and compatible Dehumidifier

I am in the market for a dehumidifier for a 4×4 tent that i would like to use the Ink Bird humidistat with.
Also, I’d like info on the Ink Bird Temperature controller also. Does my AC need to be analog to work with the Ink Bird?
Please help me find the correct equipment. Thank you!

1 Like

Not saying you couldn’t use the Inkbird humidity controller on a dehumidifier, but it doesn’t sound like the best idea to me. Dehumidifiers typically have their own controls, and you can adjust the settings to your desired level. One of my concerns is that an independent controller like the Inkbird would shut your dehumidifier down by killing the power to it, and then give it power again to turn it back on. Over time this will definitely shorten the life of the compressor in the dehumidifier.

I use the Inkbird humidity controllers to operate my humidifiers earlier in the grows, then after that stage I just use them to monitor the humidity in my grow spaces because their probes and controllers seem to give me the most accurate readings.

Also, it depends somewhat on your individual set up, but it’s usually more efficient to have your dehumidifier outside of your tent, in the room your tent is drawing air from (lung room). Inside the tent it takes up valuable space and produces a lot of heat.

1 Like

Not necessarily. It just has to have a “memory” so that it will return to it’s previous settings in the event of a power failure. It’s a fairly common feature to look for in electronics, and is often asked in Amazons Q&A section for various appliances.

Rapid cycling (power on/off/on) is probably the worst thing for compressors, in AC’s or dehumidifiers, and the Inkbird temp has a programmable offset timer to avoid that from happening, but I don’t think the humidity one does. I have both, but have never used that feature.

1 Like

@Bubbala @Cap_Ron
Okay, thank you for clearing that up for me. I wasn’t completely sure on all of that and what the ink bird is best suited for. Environmental contol is still new to me…
I still need a decent dehumidifier that would best fit my application. It can be over powered so i can run it at lower levels to get where i need to be but i need one for a 4×4 tent. Whats a good one in the 200 dollar range. A small portable one that i can use inside the tent. What are your recommendations? Can you point me towards a specific model?

1 Like

Do you have an exhaust fan that runs in your tent? The reason I ask is because a small dehumidifier in the tent probably won’t do a lot of good at all if the humidity in the lung room is high. Whatever dry air the dehumidifier kicks out inside the tent is going to be pushed out by the exhaust fan and replaced with more humid air from the lung room, plus it will be generating heat in there.
Is there any way you can set up a dehumidifier in the room the tent is in? If you can keep the humidity in that room at a good level, then keep your exhaust fan running and it will be pulling the drier air from the room into the tent.

1 Like

This is what i am doing now… i have a 10000 BTU portable AC that has a Dehumidifier setting/function but i have to cut the AC off to start the Dehumidifier. So i was just wondering if there is somekind of portable dehumidifier i could stick in my tent for an extra layer of protection for when i am in full flower and still need the AC running. My lung room stays very low humidity naturally in the winter with a gas furnace for heat. But in the summer, it gets hot and humid. I am going to need a good dehumidifier so that i don’t have to cut out the AC.

1 Like

I hear you. I’m in a little different spot because I have 3 grow spaces in 1 bedroom. Until I installed an 18,000BTU mini split system I needed my portable AC and a 70 or 95 pint a day dehumidifier both running at the same time to keep my lung room in a proper range.

Definitely don’t waste your money on any of these mini style ones, they do almost nothing at all.

If you’re going to put it in a 4x4, I’d think maybe a 30 to 50 pint a day might be good.

1 Like

Just for reference, this is a 70 pint a day GE unit I got at Home Depot for around $275.

This is a Soleusair 95 pint a day I got from a local distributor used. I can’t remember exactly what I paid, but it retailed for around $400 new.

Before I got the mini split, there were plenty of times when the 70 pint couldn’t keep up with the room, and I needed to switch to the 95.

I don’t know what kind of soace you have, but if there’s any chance you might want to expand some day to a bigger tent or multiple tents, you might want to go with a bigger unit up front instead of having to buy another bigger one like I did.

1 Like

I found that out the hard way. How stupid those things are!

1 Like

Thank you. This helped get me on the ballpark of what i need… i appreciate your time…

1 Like

Heres the one i got. Just arrived today. Its a 20 to 30 pint a day. Should be enough for a 4×4…

1 Like