Help, topping gone wrong!

So I watched a video on youtube and felt like a billy bad a$*! I said, yes, easy enough… I need to top my plant. I went downstairs with a smile, got into the closet, bent down… gently pushed the leaves aside and grabbed the top. When i pulled the top off one of the leaves came off too! Is my poor girl doomed!? I feel like I just killed her by topping her and removing a leave along with it. Now she has no head and only one arm… (one leave) poor girl…

WILL SHE SURVIVE!? GIVE ME HOPE BUT IF THERE IS NONE, BE BLUNT :frowning:

Thank you,

~ Closet

1 Like

This is her before being topped,I spread those two leaves (like my wi…pg13) and topped her but the leave on the right came off as well…

4ffefb2c12db1d93eb77d2d0e0e00a17f25ae2b6_2_375x500

3 Likes

Yeah she will survive, these girls can take so much more, no worries. Can u snap a pic of how she looks now

4 Likes

This is a lesson I’m on right now,

5 Likes

When you top, try to leave a little bit of the stem sticking up past the node you topped at. It reduces the risk of the stalk splitting when the branches get heavy flowers on them.

Also, it looks like there’s a bit of an open wound at your topping site. If you can, dab a little honey right on that. It will help the plant stay health and not get any type of infection and could fight off any chance of the stem rotting.

6 Likes

I will upload a picture now

1 Like

Like Jake3 has pointed out that you may have topped a little to close to the node but they are very forgiving plants and you should do all right. happy growing :rofl: :bat:

3 Likes

Hopefully, such a newb. I really am. lmao. pic coming right now

1 Like

1 Like

2 Likes

Looks like you should be ok,a few days and you will see what transpires. happy growing :rofl: :bat:

4 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Looks more like a FIM then a top

2 Likes

You’ll be fine, she won’t branch off like you think and will grow kinda funky for a bit but let it go. Both techniques work just fine and give similar results.

2 Likes

Could you explain to me what a FIM is? Thanks so much

1 Like

Fk I missed

2 Likes

So… in my head that is telling me go cut the rest

1 Like

Doesn’t matter but if it was me I’d clip that leaf off the other side. Even her up a bit. That being said it will only help balance her a bit, nothing else and won’t make a difference in the long run.

The clipping you did will work as you intended it to. She will work more on sending energy on lower branches making them bigger and stronger. Then she’ll push vertical. When she does and comes up 3-4 more nodes do it again

4 Likes

Much appreciated information!

1 Like

When should I start LST/tying down the branches

1 Like