Growing again, or at least I am trying to!

:man_facepalming: It never dawned on me that I could warm the molasse! Great trick Patchman! :star_struck:

1 Like

Kap-
Yeah man, I just dipped my spoon of molasses into the cup of hot water and I didnā€™t have to stir it very much at all! Cool.

1 Like

Good day everyone!
Hope all is groovy in your garden. I had to adjust my light today. Betty is slowly growing and doing her thing. She got her molasses tea yesterday. She is 6 and a half weeks above the ground and now stands 21" tall and about 14" wide. I will continue with the teas and top dressings while she is in flower. I just want to make sure she has everything she needs so she can produce what she is capable of. She is 18" below the 135 rspec that is at full power. I have not had any problems other than seeing that one bug. I checked everywhere on her- under leaves, on leaves, on buds, stems, and trunk. No bugs. I will stay on top of it and post back in a couple of days. Oh, before I forget. Hereā€™s a shot of the buds forming the top cola, but they are all going to grow into one I suspect.

If you notice the white dots on the leaves, that is some remaining diam. earth from when I treated and dusted her. Have a good grow, peaceā€¦

6 Likes

Yep Kaptain, I put my teaspoon of molasses in the hot water and stir it in. Then I pour that cup into my gallon jug and then fill the jug. Who ever thought of that should have gotten a gold star!!! And I wanted to change subjects for just a minute to let someone know that they can speak up if they want. I see you following from a distance, you dont have to, please do what makes you comfortable. Ok. Hey Kaptain, I may have a small problem. Not sure its a problem. Just some upper green thin leaves by the bud that are frowning (curved down). I am going to do my morning check and see how she is. Hey, what do you feed your worms? These are the red wigglers and I have been putting a little compost for them to eat. They seem to be happy. Thatā€™s what I cant figure- Everything about this grow is far better than the first grow. A few problems with the first plant for sure. Inadequate lighting. The second grow has had zero problems. Green, happy and healthy. Only its a little more than a foot shorter than the first plant, doesnā€™t have as many bud sites as the first plant, and the list goes on. I am not disappointed by this grow, as it is my first natural grow. I admire the youth of today and how they think they can do just about anything. (ā€œUh, this is my first grow. Hydro, all buttoned down. But I feel like I dont know what I am doing. I topped 2 of them, and I am getting some clones off that one. I think I am going to breedthis one and a secret father.ā€ I read things like this all the time here. Maybe not quite as embellished, but dang, I just want to grow my own medicine. I want this seed that I planted and grew to give me medicine. I really do admire the younger growers, but thereā€™s no way in hell Iā€™d be able to stand on one hand, and do 5 perfect fims with your nondominant hand doing the cutting while in that handstand. I guess its the same kind of crap we did when we were younger. Peaceā€¦

2 Likes

Not sure if this is me or not @patchman :sunglasses:. Iā€™m reading a lot just now and looking at setting up a wormery so just following on and watching your progress. My grow is suffering from yellowing leaves and low yields. Ph and ppm are bang on so I suspect overwatering. Looks like N deficiency but could be too much water as well so Iā€™m reading, learning and watching. I donā€™t have anything of value to add right now, youā€™re cruising so best to say nothing and take notes :sunglasses:
Wormery is a fascinating thing though so I can see a Christmas project happening during the holidays.

2 Likes

For your worms you might want to ask @hoppiebunny, @GreenJewels or @Budbrother. Iā€™m sure they all use living soilā€¦ :nerd_face:

6 Likes

We use fruits and veggies, white rice (for protein they need to reproduce), avacado and neem cake will act as an aphrodisiac, they also like alfalfa meal. @Budbrother is who is helping us :slight_smile:

5 Likes

When I have left over fruits, and veggies or the peels from them. I cut it all up and put it in an ice cube tray in a bag in my freezer as I go about cooking and stuff. Once itā€™s frozen and getting full, I dump it in my worm food bag in the freezer. When I donā€™t have time to give them fresh scraps, I throw a few worm food cubes in the bin. In addition to what @hoppiebunny said. I use ground barley, azomite, ground oyster shell, kelp, egg shells, dry leaves.
The dry stuff I put all together in a bag by my bin so itā€™s all mixed up and I throw some of that in the worm bin too.
I do not feed them acidic citrus, tomatoes or salty stuff.
My little grandson loves to help me with the worms.
@Budbrother gave me the ice cube tray ideaā€¦and a lot of what worm knowledge I have :wink:

4 Likes

Donā€™t forget the fungus too :+1::v::green_heart: worms like shrooms. And dried sucker leaves, may as well let them enjoy the ganja too. Happy worms = poop=plant ready nutrients

3 Likes

Thanks for the replies. What are you all using as worm bins. I have an idea of 3 stackable plastic boxes, roughly a foot tall and around 2 foot x 3 foot. Bottom one to collect the tea, middle for castings and top for fresh stuff. I like the idea of the shrooms and sucker leaves as well :sunglasses:

2 Likes

@Davyg- no it was not you I was referring to. I appreciate you watching. We just hit the motherboard on worm care!
@hoppiebunny- do you cook the rice first? I have seen people use the ā€œrice waterā€ to give to plants, but I wasnā€™t sure whether in this case to cook or not. Thank you for your advice!
@GreenJewels- Jewels, I use mushroom compost in my soil mix, and periodically I will sprinkle some on and water it in. If I ever do get a worm bin I will likely buy one. Thereā€™s a worm breeder who sells them. Uncle ? Worms. I just canā€™t have a bin right now. Thank you for you advice! Peaceā€¦

4 Likes

I was going to ask if it was me :man_facepalming:. The suspense waa killing me as my head can be a scary place :rofl:

2 Likes

Thanks Kaptain for tagging in the worm experts. I feel funny typing that. I feel like this will become a Pink Floyd ā€œThe Wallā€ worms nightmare, lol.

3 Likes

And guess whatā€¦ The Trial is my favorite song on this albumā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

:notes: Good morning, Worm Your Honor ā€¦ :musical_note: :guitar:

3 Likes

Just need to bookmark this chat now :thinking:

1 Like

No I wasnā€™t referring to you. Sorry for the anxiety there. I just didnā€™t want to call them out by name because I thought that might embarrass them. It is kind of interesting to see a name pop up repeatedly, showing appreciation on some of my comments. Yet they never type any text. Anywho. You are on my team. No worries!!

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing the knowledge for me @hoppiebunny @GreenJewels

Yes, then I freeze it in ice cube trays.

Another tip - any (wet) fruit or veggies you donā€™t use fresh, can be chopped up, spread out on cutting board, and then frozen before adding to a bag. That way you donā€™t have stuff frozen together in chunks inside your bag.

Uncle Jimā€™s Worm Farm

Bins can be as small and simple as a 2x 5 gal buckets stacked.

4 Likes

Just in case you want it

8 Likes

Thank you Budbrother!!!

I just love this site. How is everybody doing? Well I was going through my morning routine of misting and inspecting Betty when I saw this.

It is only one leaf, but there are a couple of the tips of others turning. Any diagnostic eyes out there? I only have one, and I am not worried about it since its just one leaf. But I have also noticed some leaves looking sad.

That one bud, the skinny leaves stay curled downward. Its not time to water yet. Then I noticed one brown leaf tip on the big fan leaf in this picture. Youā€™ll have to zoom in to see it.

I am gonna do a slurry to get a pH and tds level. I did sprinkle a little bone meal this morning. I am doing that once a week. I dont think these are big problems, but now that I have seen them I will monitor them.
Any opinions, advice, criticism is welcome. Have a great crop! Peaceā€¦

2 Likes