Gnats have appreared

i just got a humidifier for my closet grow. the humidity gets over 80 some times now at its lowest setting. I need a temp humidity controller i guess because all of a sudden Im seeing gnats, if i use a dome the living soil gets mold in that area. So now that i got gnats im using the humidifier less but will they go away on own with lower humidity? I guess keep its under 75 % ?? anything else I can do since i know this is going to be a problem?

1 Like

Gnats are often a symptom of overly wet soil rather than a high humidity.

2 Likes

Natures living soil?

I’m in living soil using watering bases from the bottom up and the first few inches of my soil have never been wet and I’ve never seen a gnat …
However I’m about to flush all 4 becaus I have some lockout issues I think and it’s gotta be done …so I’m thinking here they come after hahah

1 Like

A pet could have dragged them in, but we see it most often as a symptom of overwatering. Given the OP has another post discussing loss of seedlings, I’m thinking overwatering.

I don’t know that we have even seen insect problems due to higher humidity.

3 Likes

True …about the humidity but I am constantly reading some insects are more active because of it however humidity definitely doesn’t cause fungus gnats, wet soil where they have been dormant (This includes pre bagged ) is what does and of course contamination from us …

1 Like

Tupar Gold mixed with dr earth, is mosquito bits a good idea?

1 Like

Like I’m sure they would be they are nematodes No?

I combat them either with sticky paper or mosquito bits soaked into waterings.

3 Likes

They might be aphids,they are in some soil when you buy it, my wife &I found this out with houseplants, if so,U will have to use neem oil or a 1/4 teasp of diatomaceous earth mixed into the upper layer of your soil to break their life cycle, they can be hard to get rid of,that also helps deterr spider mites