Freeze drying cannabis tutorial

Great post!

I did a similar test in my Medium HR using the updated “candy mode” setting which lets you customize the temps, but only down to 75°. That update was available for my unit. Not sure if you can force a different OS onto a model that wasn’t built for it.

The hardest part of updating it was finding a usb thumb drive with 8gig or less space. the unit wouldn’t read anything bigger than an 8 gig thumb drive.

But the updated software with Candy mode worked great.

I kept full stalks, leaves and all, no wet trim. less on each tray, but this was just a test.
The trick was doing candy mode for about 12-14 hours.

I have some of it left over from a year ago and it still has a nice smell in the jar.

One thing about the freeze drier if its inside the home, the smell will be escaping as the vacuum pump makes the seal. And you WILL get the smell of the product in your house. Plan accordingly.

3 Likes

You sure can, just call them and ask for the software and upload it.

It definitely keeps a great smell and texture. Do you plan to do any more?

Really? I don’t get much of a smell at all? Once it’s frozen and iv got everything cleaned up the smell seems to go away.

2 Likes

If anything it enhances the flavor, it kinda brings out some of those subtle undertones.

4 Likes

Nice :+1: those tones I’m always looking like a dog eattin peanut butter when I exhale…
Like mmm, wtf was that :tada::fire:
Let me hit that again and see if I taste it again :fire::dash::dash::dash: :green_heart::metal:

5 Likes

@Autos-only
I’m still learning a lot. That was my first grow ever. And as a never-user & first time grower, i didnt have anything to compare it to. But some experienced friends of mine said they enjoyed candy mode more than a full normal cycle. Candy mode had more flavor, but both had positive effects.

And i was figuring out drying and jarring.
I was very impressed with the result. So i think i will try again with my current grow.
I find keeping it drier than 55-60° stores better long term. And i do a lot of tinctures, honey and oils.

Whats great about “drier than desired” flower is it can be reconstituted by just exposing the amount you want for short term by putting it in a separate container with a scrap of paper towel moistened with distilled water for a few hours and it comes to life like a newly cured bud.

It may have been me being extra concerned about the smell, but i did notice it, and so did the wife. :smiley:

5 Likes

i am definitely getting me a freeze dryer after reading this

4 Likes

I think you would be very happy! Let me know if you do.

5 Likes

I invested in a Cannatrol. Already dried and cured my first batch, no complaints and the process took 8 days. I also ran a batch of FF trim through for Bubble and sieved it as I pulled it from the filter and dried it in the Cannatrol in 4 days, probably could have gotten away with 3 days. It came out great, stored in the freezer until I can batch more after this next run.

5 Likes

That’s awesome! Glad you’re having great success with it!

1 Like

Good grief… y’all are to frikken much. :rofl: :star_struck: :rofl:

The woman has been harp’n on me about a freeze drier so I DDG freeze drying cannabis and the first link I see is to this thread. Shoulda just came here to start with.

Guess what “she” will be getting. lol

1 Like

That’s the spirit!! “It’s an investment babe”

I’m glad some are getting use out of the post.

1 Like

We were on board for a freeze dryer anyway, this is just a huge bonus for me!

I love this thread, somebody’s already done the leg work. I’ll ask’m to load the pharma program prior to shipping.

Man O Man… this forum saves me so much time and effort! Blows the money right outta my pocket, but sure does make life easier!

Thanks for this!

2 Likes

In a pinch, I’ve used an apple peel dropped in a jar with my buds. It kinda works. :smirk:

2 Likes

Yeah. Ive heard a piece of a tortilla can work too. i like the paper towel scrap because i can wet it and line the side of the container wall.

2 Likes

Ruhh rohhhh raggyyyy…

3 Likes

Blew me away, tractor supply is rock’n black fri prices.
I prefer SS but went with black just for cost, SS just isn’t worth an extra $400.

@Autos-only @Hershy420

4 Likes

@Autos-only

When you load the pharma program, does it lose the “home pro” programs?

Like you mentioned, if I want to do candy or other foods, will I need to install / uninstall the programs to switch back and forth?

1 Like

If you want to go over 150F shelf temp then yes.

1 Like

I seen that product at tractor supply recently. Had no idea it could be used for my grows. I want a new toy! Thanks for sharing how awesome this process is.

3 Likes

I believe 150 is as high as the home pro will go anyway?

Have you bounced between programs?

1 Like