Freeze drying cannabis tutorial

Wanting to share some information I have acquired over the last two years In the process of freeze drying cannabis.
There is not a lot of information on the Internet as to Settings to use and how to do it properly. When you google it you’ll see many articles talking about the benefits of it and how well it works and the final product but no information on how to achieve it…

So the goal of this post to hopefully help somebody here or somebody directed to this post just by a Google search and brought to our amazing community here.

So let’s get it started, first, I like to start with wet trimming, I find this works better and you can fit more and it’s not as difficult for me.

Some key points here are if you have a harvest right freeze dryer you will need to contact the manufacturer and ask for the pharmaceutical update. They will only ask you for your serial number. Send it over to you free of charge.

Load them trays up, I found I can load about 2 1/2 gallons into the freeze dryer at one time.

Let’s get started with the settings. I like To set my initial freeze temp To -30, only reason being is I wanna make sure the product is good and frozen solid before moving onto the next step.

In this Second picture here You can see shelf heater temperature this is the temperature which it heats the product for drying as you can see I have mine set to 40° nice soft gentle heat. You can see my drying Target as well. I want the product 88% dryness which leaves 12% moisture content left which is perfect for cannabis.

Now let’s hit start and get this thing going. After hitting start, it’ll go through a couple phases first being freezing. Once the chamber gets down to the set target that you chose mine being -30, it will move onto vacuum freezing temperature will continue to drop while the pump is creating a vacuum. once it creates a near perfect vacuum, it will move onto drying process.
This process will add gentle heat, allowing ice and water to essentially boil at near freezing temperatures. The technical term is sublimation. This process allows moisture or ice to evaporate and stick to the chamber walls, removing It from our precious flowers Even at temperatures of -47 Fahrenheit, like the picture below illustrates.

This process only takes 14 to 17 hours to have smokable flower, They come out practically cured, now I will say a couple weeks in a Grove bag only does them good but the product comes out smelling just like it did in the tent, preserves All of those terpenes that would Otherwise be lost at higher temperatures.

And here we are, the next day With our final product. I hope this is helpful to someone.

22 Likes

16 Likes

Very nice and appreciate you sharing this Grow Bro :muscle::muscle::fire::fire:. Is that a Randy’s Grinder?? I’ve had one for over 40 years was actually my uncles and I inherited it after I retired from Uncle Sam 20 years ago :love_you_gesture:

6 Likes

That’s amazing! What a time piece and cool story.
I don’t know exactly what kind it is, I don’t think it’s that old.

5 Likes

Great post on the freeze dried technique…something for me to consider down the road. I think Randy’s have been in business since the mid 70’s and still making this classic grinder :love_you_gesture:

5 Likes

Thank you!! I appreciate it! I understand this process may not be for everyone but it has its advantages. No pest or mold, fast turn around times, no need for an entire drying area and absolutely no smell!

Amazing to see something that old working like new and passed down! Love hearing stories like these!

4 Likes

Winner winner chicken dinner Brother :love_you_gesture:

3 Likes

Wow! I want that set up. Im sure it wasnt cheap so im dying to know. How much and where can i get one? Thank you, very informative. Id heard of this method, dispensaries use it i believe or purchase it that way. Correct me if im wrong please. Very enticing!!!

4 Likes

Yes “some” dispensaries do use this process but most do not, huge start up costs.

Last I looked a home unit like this runs around $3,500.

5 Likes

What model is the one you’re using?
A freeze dryer is on my list, I think it’s one of those appliances you value more after you get one.

7 Likes

You are sooo right!! Even freeze drying skittles and other candies have made it worth it!

It’s made by harvestright, I believe it’s the large model.

7 Likes

I’ve been eying the pharmaceutical version for a little bit more.

5 Likes

That’s awesome! Thank you for sharing! Seems incredibly beneficial with less margin of error.

3 Likes

I don’t think you would be disappointed.

3 Likes

Yes, and even if you over dry or want them dryer, no degradation. The buds will still be frozen solid and the only thing leaving is water. Terpenes and cannabinoids will stay put.

4 Likes

So no degrading of the thc if freeze dried… how do you cure ?

3 Likes

Just normal groove bags

2 Likes

During the process, it will still degrade as normal during storage.

7 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to post the detailed information!

6 Likes

Very cool, thanks for sharing :green_heart::metal:
Good to know it doesn’t have much effect on flavor like with freeze dried fruits :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
I’m a flavor whore :sunglasses::face_with_peeking_eye::kissing_closed_eyes:

2 Likes