My first baby fan leaves
You’re off to a good start
@NeoGroR Thanks I’m starting to feel alot more confident now that they poked out and are looking like they should. I was so scared I drowned them or they wouldn’t ever pop out. I did have a question I was going to ask on another topic but maybe you can help.
When it comes to lights. People always talk about how much light it puts off in a specific area. IE: I’m using a 4x4 tent. Most will have certain recommendations for what power or size light to use. My question being is this taking into account a full packed tent with 6 big plants or is this regarding any amount of plants? The reason I ask is I was just confused reading because the most plants I will do at once is 2. I want an HLG light but am a disabled vet on a fixed income. So I want the 600R you mentioned but if the 350R would work I could save $150 or so. Reading about lights it seems everything is based on size and not how many plants. If I’m only doing 2 plants then realistically I wouldn’t be using the full 4x4 and theoretically a smaller light would work. I’m not sure if that’s how it works though. Anyway to clarify it for me?
That light will do you well in a 4x4. It’ll cover about 2.5-3ft of the tent. You can always add on later
Awesome I’m glad to hear that. I’m having surgeries right now and it’s coming out of pocket unfortunately so my $ is tight but don’t want to cheap out again. Also I’m not trying to grow pounds at least not now. It’s for my wife and her friends and just because it’s fun for me so far. Long as I can keep the plants alive and get good yields from what I do plant is all I’m asking for. I’m not stupid though if I can get an oz or more extra from a plant I want to do so ![]()
Ok, thoughts on your grow before I crash.
Are you returning the Blurples? If not, throw them in the tent too.
Now, time for some math.
You have a 4x4. 16 square feet of potential canopy space. Make that 12 if you only use 3x4.
I have a 3x3, 9 square feet. I try to get 400w of light in there when I’m flowering. That’s 44w per square foot.
My best harvest was 584 grams from 9 sq Ft. That’s 64.8 grams per square foot.
You’ll have 29w per square foot. About 35% less light than mine.
With rookie mistakes and other factors, lets guess you can get half of what I did. 32grams per square foot. 384 grams total. 13.7 ounces. From 12 square feet.
Now, you have 16. Let’s say you get good at growing…. Which you will. And let’s say you can get 50g per sq foot. 800grams = 28.5 ounces.
That’s an easy goal. We can make that happen.
We’ll focus on a pound. Let’s grow your first pound of weed.
Last thought on a light. Have you thought about HPS? A 600w HPS would do great in a 4x4
Wow thanks for the detailed info I can’t thank you enough. No I will not return the blurples, they were cheap enough and I figured I could get some use from them one way or another. I have not thought of an HPS, I just klooked at Leds since they are typically cheaper to run and cooler from what I gathered. I could definitely throw a blurple in with the HLG when I get it. I am OK with growing my first pound for sure
. I might end up ordering the light today I have to figure some things but I’m so Psyched.
What nutrients will you be using? Will you be growing in soil or coco?
I’m in soil, one being fox farms oceans garden and the other a mix I put together since I ran out of oceans garden. Also nutrients wise I got the pack from this site, supposedly good for 5 plants through all stages. Also and I know the blurple makes photo unbearable but I can see the next set of leaves growing out now.
Cool.
The least expensive nutrients on the market are Jacks 321.
Another budget option would be going with General Hydroponics Maxi series. Especially if you’re going to grow nothing but Autos.
@NeoGroR hey I got the OK from the wife to sell something to buy a light. Now my only other question before I order today is between the different versions they have up. Which one is the best for the $? They have a 600R Spec that was $800 and only like $600 now before my discount. They also have a 550R Spec V2 for $600 and then they have those same 2 in B spec. I just want one light that can do it all from start to finish. I just don’t know what the differences are if any. I was going to order the 600R since it was at one time the most expensive I just assume it would be the best but wasn’t sure.
Also it seems from my understanding reading the tech specs from HLG the B specs are only for Veg and the R is for both. I could be wrong but that’s what it seems so far.
Yup. I have a Small BSpec for Veg. They’re nice.
BSpec has blue diodes in with the white diodes and RSpec has Red.
The 600r has been out for a couple years now. Before the 600 came out they had the 550. It’s just an older model.
The 600R will be awesome in your tent from start to finish. You’ll turn the light down during Veg. About 60%
What tent do you have?
You have have some blue light in the Blurple. Start your seeds with it. They’re actually not bad in that aspect. The blue light keep the plants shorter, Keeps the node spacing tight.
It’s a “greenhut” tent 4x4x tall as shit lol. I got it from a guy cheap but it is well built and solid. I guess I will go with the 600R and since I’m keeping the blurples I can use like you are suggesting.
That’s a great plan. It really is.
What are you growing?
Blue Dream Autoflowers. I still have 2 seeds left in the fridge for after this grow.
Oh and apparently they sold out of the 600R in 120v and I don’t want to swap electricla stuff over. That said I will order the 550R V2. Only 50 watts less and newer leds being V2 that sound good?
I didnt want to wait and miss out on another one. I ordered the 550R Spec V2) :). Thanks again for mentioning the vet discount I wouldn’t have been able to order otherwise.
That stinks.
The 550 should do you well.
They have great customer service, if you have any issues.



