First Indoor Grow, a few problems Maybe

@Laurap @1BigFella @bob31 @Countryboyjvd1971 R @Ray4x

Well looks like I am nearing the end of week 3 of veg and my plants are looking good. The WWidow has kinda stopped temporarily and is small compared to the others. Not sure what is with it, but have heard of others seeing this happen to their WW’s. Seem to stop for a bit, then do a jump start and get big. Will see what happens. It is in week 2 of veg. unlike the others. My fault. i had left it outside of the tent for a few days and it just slowed. Will add a photo of it here.

Okay, the OGK’s are looking good. I just did an LST bend on the bigger one. I fimed it about 5 days ago and light wasnt getting to things. But the two look good. Spots have stopped, no more growing so adding the bloom nute has helped. Throwing in a photo of these girls next.

And here is my big girl, the GOLD LEAF. She is just growing and growing. As soon as I do something with her, she grows out and over. I FIM’d her a week ago now and cant tell. So a day ago I did an LST bend on her so the new tops could get light. Bent a little far and cracked the stem but she just ignored that. Looks like about 4 or 5 new tips. She is just bushy as heck. This is a great plant. I am definatly going to regrow her after harvest and turn her into a momma. I want to grow more of her with this bushy phenotype of hers. So different from being a tall plant. Am waiting to see what she does when I put her into flower. Wowweee Photo of her next.

5 Likes

@cyberblast

Coming along nicely!!

When plants get to this stage sometimes their upward growth slows down as they are really developing their root structure. Give it a couple more days and the growth should take off again.

Also I would caution against “regrowing” her. I am yet to see somebody do that with any moderate level of success. My advice would be to take a clone of her and let that clone grow into the mother plant to preserve the pheno that you like. But that’s just my two cents.

Remember with your nutrients that nitrogen is key at this stage- bloom nutes usually have little no nitrogen- so you should be using a “grow” nutirent.

3 Likes

Sound advice! @Ray4x @cyberblast

The runt will catch up soon, they usually do!

1 Like

@Ray4x I have to agree with you. It would be better to clone her then make the clone the mother. I will follow your advice, for sure. One question…at what point should I take the clone? And from what point on her. I havent done any cloning yet so its new to me. I know Robert has some good material onsite regarding cloning so will read up on it. And hopefully you are right that the WW lady is just slowing for her roots now.

Been giving all of them grow nutes from Fox Farm. Only one that I have given the bloom to is the OGK’s because of the potassium lack, but I also added grow nutes so they wouldnt lack something else.

@bob31 yea, definately going to be following @Ray4x 's advice.

2 Likes

@cyberblast

Ahh gotcha. Yeah good call on the extra potassium.

As far as cloning goes. There’s 2 common ways.

1. right before you flip the lights to flowering. Take the clone from a stem somewhere near the bottom. You’ll want it to have 3-5 sets of leaves on it. I found some great YouTube videos that walk you though a couple ways. I took 3 for practice and one of them rooted. It ended up dying but I didn’t want it anyways lol. Just for practice.

2. monster cropping- this is when you take the clone after she started flowering. Somewhere between 2-6 weeks- but I’ve heard 2-3 weeks is the ideal range. You’ll then need to reveg that clone by putting it back under 18/6 light- otherwise it will continue to flower.

I’ve heard monster cropping is the way to go- and you get massive yields off of it (haven’t tried it myself yet though).

2 Likes

@Ray4x

I will try both and see what happens. One from veg and then one from flower. Well, actually more than one each. I havent cloned before as I said, so will likely do at least 3 of each in case some of them dont make it. Its a good precaution. What I would hate would be if all of them make it…because I wouldnt have room for them all and would hate having to delete one or more of them. Just me…a growing life and then having to destroy it. Has never felt right. Though I have no problems doing it to weeds.

Looking forward to the clone run. Something new and I love doing new growth experiments. This grow I am doing now was meant as an experiment. Especially with starting the 3 different plants. Regardless I love growing things. Anything. Right now I am growing some bag seed. I had tried em to see if they would pop, and they did. 5 of 6 seeds. and now i have em in seedling pots and hating the thought of maybe having to weed them out because of no room. Am geting a new larger tent and am in hopes of being able to find room to set it up and keep these gals growing. They arent very big yet, only tiny little things But they are healthy.

2 Likes

I’m the odd man out. I don’t see why y’all clone something you’re not sure of height, business, ect. It makes more sense to monster crop as you already know what the parent is like. Just my two cents.

1 Like

I did it just to see if I could after I had a broken off branch. Tried 4 and 2 are growing :blush: Surprised the heck out of myself :rofl:

3 Likes

Way to go👍

2 Likes

@SmoknGranny

Well, I did an LST on my Gold Leaf and when I did, I cracked the stem. Didnt think I had done major damage, but yesterday noticed the tip above the crack was tottally wilted. So byebye to that. HOwever, the good was that I have 4 tops growing out so looking good. Thinking of giving them a couple of weeks and then toping them or maybe just bending them since I will have my scrog screen in place. Likely that is what I will do.

For @Ray4x and @bob31, I do have a question. My GL girl is really bushy and has a bunch of leaves and even some tips down underneath the top leaves and tips. Should I do a little moderate trimming down there? Its really crowded underneath. Let see, close to, if not AT the end of the 3rd week of veg.

2 Likes

@cyberblast

I think most people on here agree, me included, that you shouldn’t do any unnecessary pruning.

The leaves are like solar panels that gather light and store energy and nutrients. Even if there are too many at this time it will benefit you during Veg.

No once you get your scrog in place and before you flip the lights I would do a full lollipop. Trim out everything below the scrog that is not going to get any light.

But at this stage I would let them be.

Here’s a pic of under my scrog.

3 Likes

@Laurap

Monster cropping is still cloning is it not?

It’s just taking it right after you start flowering.

Also if you’ve already cloned the plant once before and are sure of the genetics- then regular cloning is just continuing the genetic line and you can already be sure about the height and what not.

1 Like

Yes it’s cloning but my last grow three beans Amnesia haze and three Ak47 all ilgm beans, all were various heights & bulk flowers. I wouldn’t of known this by cloning the parent in early stages. I’m the odd ball here though.

@Laurap

I don’t think you’re the oddball. I would think most of us would take a clone closer to the end of Veg.

1 Like

@Ray4x

Thanks, I was wondering so I asked. Trying to avoid potential problems and keep this plant going good. I was kind of upset when I cracked that stem then lost the tip. Drying it though, and I know there isnt much THC in the leaves at this point, but it will give me a taste of the plant. Your scrog looks good. Not that I know what the heck I am talking about, but it sure isnt crowded there, compared to my plant.

Another question, concerning the scrog. The plant right now is about…mmmm a foot tall maybe a little more. How high above the top should I put the screen. Dont want to get it too high or too low. Course, being low wouldnt hurt a whole bunch I dont think. Plus, I dont want to put it to flower too soon now because of the runt WW. It is growing…but slow. Its getting the same light, the same nutes, same water, same everything…but its just sitting there. I know you said that most any plant could just go through a period of slow growth. But…its going to cause me having to wait on putting my gleaf into flower. Suggestions anyone?

@Laurap And since I dont know anything about cloning or monster bash or whatever its called. I am so new at it, I cant even pronounce it or remember what it is. Course, at my age…I am lucky to remember my own name sometimes. :rofl:

2 Likes

@Ray4x
Okay, got my meters in. Will do some testing tonight. Too dang tired right now. Plus, having never used these things before, will take a little while to learn em and make sure I am doing it right.

@cyberblast

I think I set my scrog about 28 inches off the ground. It really depends on your space.

I started a WW a month after the others and it was much smaller when I started flowering but it didn’t make a difference- it just doesn’t quiet fill up as much as the others.

Also when you break a stem (assuming it’s still attached)- you can tape it back together and it should fuse itself. MJ is a pretty remarkable plant.

1 Like

@Ray4x

Thanks for telling me about the tape for the stem. Didnt know that. Too late for me on this one, but its good to know for the future.

My WW is only a bit over a week belhind the others in time, but looks to be almost 3 weeks behind. Well, I hope it does like yours did. Mostly want the bud from it to try and compare. If I dont get a whole bunch from it, thats okay.

Will do some measurements in my tent to see how it will do with the screen for the scrog. I do have some room at the moment and I do have a new larger tent coming. Should be here in a day or so. I can move things to it. Also, the plants are in 3 gal fabric pots. Do you think I should put them in bigger ones? Was thinking of putting the 3 bigger plants in 7 gallon fabric. Or at least in 5 gallon. Opinion?

1 Like

@cyberblast

They are photo plants right? (Not autos)

Slightly breaking the stems is a well known form of high stress training. Some growers do it on every plant on purpose! As long as you don’t actually break the skin it heals, makes a “knuckle” and grows horizontally with lots of side stems growing up.

SCROG: I think you have to let your plants grow up through the screen about 6 inches, then tie the stem down to the screen. Wait for the next one and tie it down, etc. When the whole screen is full, THEN flip to 12/12. Or you can just tuck the new growth down under the screen horizontally. You can also take the whole top off or FIM (take just half the top growing point off). That top makes auxins that suppress growth of other stems. So when you clip it off, the other side stems all grow up and you train them to go out on your SCROG screen.

Monster cropping is when you take clones about 3 weeks into flowering. It does take them a bit longer to develop good roots, but the plant has some genes switched on so it gets super bushy.

1 Like