Fabric grow bag questions?

I just recently switched my plants over to 5 gallon ac infinity fabric pots, and i placed them on self water ac infinity bases that use a wick to draw the moisture up into the soil.

Doing research, i have seen mixed reviews on them, but i figure there is room for farmer error in these reviews.

I just filled the bottom of the fabric pot up with the soil im using, a few inches, and then pulled the plants out of the old pots and just stuck them ontop of the soil, without breaking up the root ball, and just filled in the edges of the pots with soil. I have seen some people use some thing under the soil that looks like round balls of clay, or rolled up coco coir?

My questions are:

Did i do ok just transfering them the way i did without breaking the rootball up?

Should i have used something under the soil?

Do i need something on the topsoil?

Thank you!

3 Likes

I transplant just as you did and have never had any transplant shock. As for the stuff in the bottom of the soil…I know that many do that but I don’t, I just fill with soil. I have had reasonable success so have not changed.

3 Likes

Thank you @merlin44!

I like the idea of the fabric pots and self watering base.

I was worried that i would still have to water like i did before, up untill i see roots coming through the bag bottom.

Is this something to worry about?

1 Like

I don’t understand your question, please clarify.

2 Likes

The roots were kinda coiled at the bottom of the soil from the last pot, and i sat that on top of the new soil that is almost 3 inches thick, then filled the sides of the pot up to cover the rest of the old soil.

I didnt know how long it would take for water to wick up and let that bottom 1/3rd of soil be damp, and was worried that i would have to still water them like i did previously from the top soil.

I figured doing it this way for a few waters would promote the roots to travel down to the new soil i sat it on, to start absorbing the water.

It doesnt feel like the sides of my pots are damp, the bottom does though.

3 Likes

I don’t have any experience with the self or auto watering systems.

Let me tag a few that might be able to help with that.
@kaptain3d @Oldguy @OGIncognito @Myfriendis410
If none of them can answer, one or more of them will know who can.

4 Likes

I believe @Dman1969 and @Not2SureYet use that… :thinking:

6 Likes

I have used fabric pots for a long time And never had the roots grow through the bag.

9 Likes

I had seen some reviews from a few folks online that posted pictures of huge roots going throught the bottom of the bag down into the water reserve. A few mentioned the roots grow toward the wicks, so its a good idea to turn them every so often?

I appreciate all the advice!

3 Likes

I grow with Auto Pots and coco. I don’t think it’s a good idea to let the soil stay saturated. It would be fine if you use the feast or famine watering technique. I also use the balls or clay pebbles. I put One inch of them then the rest coco. There is a root screen on the bottom of my pots to keep the roots from getting into the aqua valve. My pots are 3.9 gallon plastic pots. I wish they were fabric. I hope I helped in some way :crossed_fingers::pray::v::call_me_hand:

5 Likes

I use fabric pots with the Autopot system with good results. Harvested an Afghan photo last month that delivered just over 12 oz. of dried flower.

I normally use 3 gallon and set them up with hydroton on the bottom 2" to attenuate the amount of liquid wicked up into the media (coco). If I don’t I see damping off issues.

I’m currently running one plant: Phylos Lemon Fresh and will be using the supplied plastic pot and airdome just for different.

I occasionally get a plant that pushes roots through the bottom 1" or so of fabric pot: I just remove them before they can interfere with the gravity feed mechanism.

7 Likes

I use a bottom wicking system with fabric pots, I also add 1-2” of hydroton in the bottom of the fabric pots before adding the coco. Did the old soil have any perlite, compared soil doesn’t work well with these set ups :love_you_gesture:

5 Likes

The soil im using is a 50/50 mix of 2 soils. It does appear to have perlite in it. Here are the ingredients straight from the web page in both soils contents.

Espoma organic potting mix
Ingredients:

This product contains 60-70% processed forest products, sphagnum peat moss, perlite, humus, limestone to adjust pH, earthworm castings, alfalfa meal, kelp meal, feather meal, & yucca extract.

Active Ingredients:

Ectomycorrhizal Fungi: A total of 122.8 propagules / cc (3.4 million propagules per cubic foot) of the following 3 species:

Pisiolithus tinctorius 105.66

Rhizopogon luteolus 8.57

Rhizopogon roseolus 8.57

Endomycorrhizal Fungi: A total of 0.072 propagules / cc (2,040 propagules per cubic foot) of the following 4 species

Rhizophagus irregularis 0.018

Septoglomus deserticola 0.018

Claroideoglomus etunicatum 0.018

Funneliformis mosseae 0.018

Espoma Land and Sea Mix
Ingredients:

This product is regionally formulated from 35-45% aged forest products, sphagnum peat moss, humus, limestone to adjust pH, lobster meal & crab meal.

In New Hampshire this product contains aged forest products, sphagnum peat moss, humus, limestone to adjust pH, lobster meal & crab meal.

In California & Oregon this product contains aged forest products, sphagnum peat moss, humus, limestone to adjust pH, lobster meal & crab meal.

Active Ingredients:

Ectomycorrhizal Fungi: A total of 131.38 propagules / cc (3.7 million propagules per cubic foot) of the following 5 species:

Pisiolithus tinctorius 105.66

Rhizopogon luteolus 8.57

Rhizopogon roseolus 8.57

Scleroderma citrinum 4.29

Scleroderma verrucosum 4.29

Endomycorrhizal Fungi: A total of 0.072 propagules / cc (2,040 propagules per cubic foot) of the following 4 species

Rhizophagus irregularis 0.018

Septoglomus deserticola 0.018

Claroideoglomus etunicatum 0.018

Funneliformis mosseae 0.018

1 Like

I used a similar set up last winter. This is a Blue Dream auto in a 3 gallon grow bag on an AC Infinity watering base. I used topsoil with nothing underneath and it drew water up just fine.

5 Likes

Beautiful plants it turned out too! Im hoping for similar results! I can fit 3 self watering bases in my space i have atm untill i move the ac unit to a different spot or extent the room.

2 Likes

I have a set of both sizes and really like them. The big ones hold 2 gallons. I use COM Bar Harbor soil and have never had a plant/soil NOT wick up water.

1 Like

I just did some leaf removal earlier to get rid of clustered up leave spots and improve airflow.

Look at all the tops coming up now!!

This morning, the one on the left looks happy, and the one on the right looks sad. The one on the right is setting closest to the fan, maybe thats whats up? Or to much/not enough water?

2 Likes

How heavy is the sad pot compared to the happy pot? That is how many folks determine if it is time to water-when the pot gets light.

3 Likes

The happy pot is heavier. So i must need to water then?

2 Likes