Curing problems!

Imusing paper bags, grove bags, mason jars, i have a moisture reader. Plants smell so good at the end of hang drying then i stick them in a jar or grove bag and thr smell changes , weed gets wetter, and quality seems to go down. Is this normal? Dispensary weed seems way dryer but more flavorful. The herb is got beaurtiful terps but seem to go away way they get jarred or bagged. Should i leave them sealed should i burp more to try and keep that orginal smell or is it just curing gasses i smell? Really beautiful plant and i feel like im ruining it .

4 Likes

It is likely that your buds weren’t fully dry. It’s called sweating. The inner moisture comes out once in a closed container.

Just keep opening twice a day “burping” and moving things around gently to continue drying till they reach your desired humidity texture.

8 Likes

What’s the stem moisture % near the buds? When I bag them after drying and the RH exceeds 62%, I put them in a brown paper bag to sweat the excess moisture off.

:point_up_2: their jars are opened multiple times a day, I’ve also noticed that some dispensaries add tasteful terpin additives :love_you_gesture:

7 Likes

Using paper bags during drying? The problem may be that the weed was dried too quickly, which will allow cannabinoids and terpines to evaporate. Drying should be accomplished slowly in open air with RH at ~60% and temps in the high 60s. A proper dry takes a week to 10 days.

The comments above are excellent too.

8 Likes

“I don’t know, i dont smoke the stems”…Lol a little inside humor to me, and if he reads this he will know I’m just poking the bear :green_heart::metal::crazy_face::wave:

Great tips above, good luck on them buds :green_heart::green_heart::green_heart:

5 Likes

For me, I think I become desensitized to its smell because I am around the plants so much. For example I can open a jar / grove bag in my grow space and do not smell much at all. However if I touch or move some buds I can smell it on my fingers. Or, I double bagged a couple zips to give to my son and put it the console of my truck. I took care of a few other things before returning to the truck. When I opened the truck’s door a little later it reminded me of road trips when I was 20 something.

6 Likes

Haha. I had forgotten too. I whipped up some hash a few years ago. I left the house for a bit, came back, and OMG the house smelled like a dispensary that has a lot of open flower around.

5 Likes

Sometimes we need to reset our senses.

7 Likes

Rh bounced between 55 and 65 up and down consistent wave pattern lol. And temperature was between 56 and 62 degrees the entire time. Open room pitch black airflow on floor for about 10 -12 days on alll of them. Moisture content was 11.5% on moisture reader. Then put em in a paper bag for a day then grove bag after a few days i popped the bag to check. And they seem to wet and smelled kinda funky,

How long should i burp them each time at this point ?

Whaaaat…you don’t smoke the stems :joy::joy:. I’ve been desperate back in the day :joy::joy::love_you_gesture:

4 Likes

If they’re feeling wet still, and you don’t see any mold or reason for the “funky”, you’d be fine letting them breathe for 10 minutes or so. I haven’t found an exact science here.

I’ll add that 65 is only a pinch high and if the buds are stable there I would be too concerned. Dispensary weed in my experience is almost dust dry more often than not.

2 Likes

Back in my navy days we would scrounge around to find stems, seeds, leaves, globs resin from cleaning the pipe…any thing to put in our pipes. It was disgusting and barely gave a buzz but any port in a storm.

3 Likes

:joy::joy: been there as well Brother. Scored some really great hash in the Middle East back in the day and before the whizz quiz came along :love_you_gesture:

5 Likes

I cant tell you how many times ive busted glass just to clean the sh!t out of em an smoke. … tasted like ass but hey it got me by… i smoke it to the point it would turn into a pebble and you could bounce it litterally…

4 Likes

You could get you a moisture meter. I got one off amazoon for a few bucks and it came with a long set of probes.

4 Likes

Don’t trust these things! I can’t tell you how many jars I ruined the smell in before I realized how worthless those mini hygrometers are. Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t expecting perfect precision at a buck and change a piece, but when I decided to put almost 50 of them on my table and monitor the readings for several days, I found out they’re far less accurate than I thought, and it appears they get worse over time.
Since I started using a moisture meter I know exactly when it’s time to trim and jar it, and everything has been perfect since. I tossed all those little shitters in the trash!

7 Likes

I was using those little ones. Now they are going to the trash. Ok so i tested the stems on each plant just below a bud and some were 15 -18 % still. But the bud itself is a 9 when i just push it in and like 11.5 when i squeeze it hard onto the spikes. So i should str8 hang dry until the wettest part of the stem is 12%?

2 Likes

Are you going to cure in jars or grove bags? 11.5 is just right. I shoot for 11-13 on buds.

1 Like

Jars for burping, add a small RH sensor.
Calibrated ( I have a set of 5 that read -5 too low, all of them).
Burp daily until desired RH is approached.
Burping less frequently, daily, and watch.
At desired RH, store (with sensor). Check weekly.
Didn’t expect or know about curing until forum introduced me.
Good luck.
50 grove bags arrive Saturday (cheaper in volume and high expectations for future growing).
Good growing to you.

4 Likes