Can I be treated if I read good?

My first grow. Let’s say I do everything right. “Don’t argue with me, just let me have it.” And I pick a bag of seeds that have phenomenal genetics and uber reviews because people don’t lie, and it turns out, that the final product smokes like a pack of wet camels on a hot summer day? how do you know they’re telling you the truth?? Not about the camels.

1 Like

You don’t. But if you did even most kinda right that probably wouldn’t happen.

If you can get reasonably healthy plants to proper harvest time you could have all kinds of issues but the only thing that would really make it smoke bad is if it was extremely over fertilized. May not be best yield or super potent based on how it was cared for, but there’s not a lot else you can do to make it harsh nasty smoke. Maybe mold or bud rot, but that’s not a healthy plant. From there, one could screw up a lot. Too short or long of drying time, improper cure and/or storage can all make it smoke like garbage in s hurry.

6 Likes

Yeah! It probably aint the dopes fault. Its just a plant. That said, I have smoked weed I dont like and others do so…
This sounds like a terpine thing, either not the right ones for the OP or not released properly in the curing or growing process.

OK. I love all your answers, lol. but I was referring to the online advertising for a weed, seed sales. If you don’t know all the names Or heard of specific genetics, you’re stuck believing the ad for the seeds you’re trying to buy. so my thought was, like most advertising, can be misleading at best. And For The newbie, if you’re doing it right, this new hobby can turn into an expensive proposition. So the last thing you wanna do, is start off by buying into an ad for seeds that don’t end up helping you with your pain. Sorry to be so long-winded. It’s early.

1 Like

You have to put some consideration into exactly which details are important. Not being exactly as advertised and your example of a wet camel leave a lot of reasonable middle ground.

You decide to have a baby and say it’s gonna be a girl, have moms hair and eyes, dad’s nose, grandma’s smile, and uncle Billy Bob’s big feet. Seeds are the same way. If they are inbred enough will usually isolate some specific features, but planting a whole 10 pack can and will provide you with 10 different plants. If you get away from inbred plants and into f1 hybrids, there’s no telling what you may get. Some seeds may repeat their parents characteristics, some maybe one but not the other, some maybe new characteristics.

Some breeders will go as far as to describe different phenotypes they see in detail too. When you see this, pretty good idea it’s accurate information. Just may not be limited to what they share. Most of the breeders don’t have anything except their reputation. The breeders with best reputations don’t give their seeds away either, so be careful bargain shopping. Way more likely you’ll be duped buying seeds off Instagram that little Johnny bred in his mom’s basement.

1 Like

Sorry about Billy Bob’s big feet. Do you have to buy her special shoes?

@Cabs you can always look up videos on best strains of the year and things like best smoke etc. Or you could go with “classics” like og kush, granddaddy purple, northern lights etc. The logic being if it’s a classic it can’t be that bad lol.

1 Like

OK that makes sense. I’m just nervous about buying for the first time. Funny enough I have granddaddy purple in my cart. Just looking to see if that would be the best fit for me At this time.

2 Likes

You have to do your own research and not go with marketing and sales BS, of course they are going to say all the strains are great, no one would buy a strain marketed as weak and pathetic and gives you bad breath. And a great strain for morning/day buzz may be way to weak to enjoy at night when you want the coma buzz and I don’t want a coma buzz in the morning unless I’m just planning on going back to bed. Some strains are better for certain times.

3 Likes

Thanks hell raiser. Felt weird to say. Mama always taught me not to trust Hell raisers but she’s in the other room, so it’s OK

4 Likes

Thanks brother

1 Like

I think most people know what they prefer to smoke. I’m an indica guy and prefer lemon or pine taste with earthy, gassy tones terp wise. I detest fruity strains and the like. I just haven’t found any that appeal except blueberry but that is the exception. If you get me a Sativa or hybrid like that I’m set mainly blue dream which is a hybrid or even do si do that I’m puffing now is good. Think it’s an indica but to each their own.

2 Likes

Check out Leafly, if you’re not familiar. Lots of good info, including reviews, lineage, terpine/flavor profile, reviews, even lab analysis results for a lot of strains.

3 Likes

Thank you. My head is swimming with information from you guys. Just need to focus and get started. good advice. I’ll check out the ones I’m curious about with Leafly. Good on you

2 Likes

The wealth of knowledge and experience on a good forum can be overwhelming at times, especially when you factor in differing opinions and such.

3 Likes

Always get your seeds from a good quality seller . you have to have good genetics.

2 Likes

The scenario he gave was hypothetical. He’s trying to figure out how to get realistic strain info instead of the seed banks’ self promoting write-ups.

1 Like

ILGM forums and Leafly would be my sources for that.

1 Like