Greetings to all my new growmies!
Ok… so I’ve been fiddling around with this concept on/off for a couple years now, and have had some success with a single plant RDWC. It’s grown some respectable plants, but I’m just horrible at training, so I want to have 2, smaller plants in my 2x4 tent. I may just be compounding my problems, or it might work well… Let’s all find out together!
This iteration has several major changes besides doubling plant count, most important, is a DIY chiller addition. There’s also some fan upgrades, the tent is now elevated, and since I’m not really a scrog-ger, and typically just tie back to the buckets, I’m trying a lower level mini-frame to tie back to that allows the net lid to be slid over slightly when necessary… more on that later.
Needless to say, it’s not enough for me to just grow a plant, I gotta fiddle and fart around with all kinds of mechanics to do it. I guess being a machinery operator my whole life, I just get a weird kick out of blending the overly complicated, with the super simple.
So the first thing you’ll most likely notice, is that the flow of water is running backwards! Yep, skimming the surface and feeding from the bottom. Kinda like an ebb and flow, only it’s all flow, all the time. Maybe it’s all been tried before, but I haven’t seen much about it, so it’s all just experimentation to me. It’s all about the journey, not the destination… right? RIGHT?!
The ILGM Super Skunk Auto seeds (new genetics to me) only took 12 hours to crack, and that was 7 days ago, so today is Week #1. One of the seedlings was effortless, the other helmet headed really bad. I planted hinge down for the J-root, and kept it domed, but I think the short soak might have something to do with it. Anyway, it was close, the stem looked to be turning black, and I didn’t think she was gonna make it. I went through a hot pepper spree a couple years ago, and they’re notorious for helmets, so I had some experience dealing with it, and had it not been for that, it probably wouldn’t have made it. She looks a little rough yet, but I think she’ll catch up just fine.
Anyway, I could ramble on for pages, but I’ll post a few pics, and just go from there. I’m open to all the questions and critiques anyone has to offer, even if it’s just simply to say: Bro, that’s never gonna work! It’s all good, and I’m just gonna have fun at it no matter what.
Right now, the standpipe in the return brings the water level about an inch below the rockwool. I’ll start turning the elbow that sticks into the return bulkhead in a couple days, gradually lowering the water level by tipping the standpipe until it can be removed completely and the elbow returned to an upright position. I’m uncertain which direction I’ll take moving forward after that. I might run it straight out the bulkhead, or leave the elbow in. It’ll depend on what I decide for a water table height and how the roots react this grow.
Big plus to this, is any root interference can easily be addressed from the top of the bucket, instead of a bottom drain, although I’ve had very little issues with it in the past. Another big change in this version, is the return bulkhead holes are drilled much lower, allowing a water table below the netpot, which is something I’ve never really done. Once the rootball encases the stone, I really don’t see a point in leaving an air gap. As long as the root crown isn’t submerged, it’s all good. If these were totes with lots of open water, it’d be different. But a 5 gallon bucket can get pretty packed with roots, so more water = more root room. I’m more concerned about holding pH in a small res like this. It was fine for a single plant when using pH drops, but now I have double the plant mass, and this fancy new Bluelab pen, so… stay tuned!