Beginning the Journey (and what a journey it has been so far) - Advice Welcomed

October 11, 2017 Update:

Here are the girls now.

Number 1

Number 2

Number 5

6 Likes

The big advantage of autos is speed. Something like 90 days from sprout to harvest. Also, if you want to grow continuously outdoors, you can have a crop that is ready to harvest any time of year. Otherwise outdoors you have to plant just one crop in spring or summer because flowering will only start when the nights get longer.

Of course, if you live in a state with a six plant limit, nothing says you can’t grow photo-period trees you put in the huge pot or ground as early as possible and veg for months before the seasons make it flower naturally.

@Bigfella Totally agree with your statement about outdoor grows. I was thinking about using the auto seeds I have and planting them outdoors this spring. But, for indoors I just don’t see a major advantage.

Also, right now I don’t think they will ever get big enough to produce a 1 gram bud. They seem stuck, so 90 days seems impossible. However, I know they spend some time early on putting their energy towards establishing a good root system. I hope that is the case now!

1 Like

COPY/PASTE: This “Support Ticket” into your forum post.
Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so = NA
Strain; Type, Bag seed, or NA - Jack Pot Auto and AK47 Auto
Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco? - Pots
System type? - N/A
PH of runoff or solution in reservoir? - No runoff, pots much too large to water to runoff
What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS - No nutes used
Indoor or Outdoor - Indoor
Light system, size? - Two 300W LEDS
Temps; Day, Night - High temps 79 degrees, low temps 65 degrees
Humidity; Day, Night - Day = 65%, Night = 50%
Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size, Ventilation is very good (tent is open)
AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier, - N/A
Co2; Yes, No - No Co2
The scenario. I started seeds in 7 gallon pots because I did not want to transplant shock on autos (first mistake). The potting soil was wet when mixed due to rain, so the soil at the bottom is very moist.
Two of four seedlings germinated. I call these #1 and #2. I germinated two others in paper towel and plated them. I called one #5 and the other #6. #6 came up without its “head” and died.
All of the seedlings did very well at first (pics on grow journal: Beginning the Journey - Advice Welcomed).
I started with one light on and added the second light a few days into the grow. #5 has always been under two lights.
I watered lightly with a spray bottle during germination to keep seeds moist. Because the soil was moist, I did not water other than a very light mist for almost a week. The top soil became very dry (the day after adding the second light and plants were doing well) so I watered about two ounces per plant (the tap water was PHd to 6.5 using Up/Down). Soil tests suggest a PH about 6.7.
#2’s left large leaf drooped a bit the day after the watering. I noticed a slight burnt or dead tip and one of the tiny second set of leaves on #1, but it still looked good overall. At this point I figured it was still too moist didn’t water. Also, I should note that I tested the soil moisture and about two inches down in was slightly dry, but very moist at the bottom still. So, I put large holes in the soil down to the bottom to give them some air and to dry the soil at the bottom.
Nothing happened for another day - all looked exactly as before. Also, #5 was doing great and I did not give it any water as its soil was still moist.
The next day I checked them and #1 had drooped just a little. I felt the leaves and they seemed “thin” or dry (not puffy like when over watered). I tested the soil 2" deep all around #1, #2, and #5. All the readings came up dry. I Also used my finger and it felt dry. So, I misted all of them very lightly (one or two squirts of mist) three times over about eight hours. Nothing changed for another 8 hours.
Today, I look and #2 seems to be drooping slightly more, one of #1’s large fist set of leaves seems to have wilted at the tip and I am guessing will die. #5 appears to be drooping ever so slightly.

Soil moisture tests

Seedling pics to follow

#5 to follow next post

This is #5

This ticket was also posted in the Plant Care category under the heading: Help Please. Seedlings Not Doing Well.

Here is a related question. Does PH change over time after it has been adjusted? Is it possible the water itself might be the cause?

What soil are you using?

My advice is to get them out of the big pot and into 3" pots or solo cups. Moisture and nutrients are the issue. If you have planted in something like FFOF, you might transplant into something like a Jiffy starter mix to cool down the soil.

The problem is that you are ripe for all kinds of disease to set in before they are robust enough to take care of themselves. Once they are in a manageable pot size you can mist them lightly until they recover.

So many people worry about transplanting but look at it this way: you aren’t disturbing the plant. You are lifting the entire matrix of plant,soil and root ball out and depositing into a larger space. While examining the root health and adding Mykos as well. @Medforme

1 Like

@Myfriendis410 I agree it was a mistake to start them in big pots. I will never do that again!

Also, Obviously I have been thinking about solutions and think you are likely right about moving them into small pots.

The potting soil is plain organic potting soil and has no added nutes.

@Myfriendis410 BTW, any ideas on how best to go about transferring them? I have been thinking about how to get them out without damage. There isn’t going to be a root ball and the soil isn’t going to stick together.

When I did this I discovered two things. Firstly, the 2" soil surrounding the seedlings was very moist. It even stuck together somewhat, which surprised me because when I mixed the soil it was very moist and I added perlite until I couldn’t get it to stick together. Secondly, the bottom and middle to bottom sides were also very moist. It seems to me that this does suggest an over water/under oxygen issue blocking nutrient uptake. Hopefully, they will recover now.

Of course the question I have now is that typically when plants are transplanted they a fair amount of water until their roots are able to grow into the soil. However, water is exactly the issue that caused this problem. So, now when and how much water do I give them?

First, poke a ton of holes in the sides of your cups. Second, run a fan on the pots. You may want to cover the seedlings while doing that with a clear dome. Then again, not. Air dry the soil. When it looks like the plants are ready for water, use a spray bottle and give them something like a teaspoon of water morning and evening with a dome over them.

Ph 6.5 water with no nutes. When you are watering correctly the soil will be obviously dry everywhere except for a dark patch the size of a quarter at the base of the plant.

1 Like

@Myfriendis410 Thanks. Keeping my fingers crossed. They are still upright now anyway.

1 Like

Crisis seems averted; at least for now. #1 is not growing, but it looks better. #2 has started to grow again as its second set of leaves have gotten bigger (the main leaves still droop like in the picture. I wonder if they will stay like this or eventually spread back out). #5, which had the roughest transplant, does not seem to be growing, but it has gone back to healthy shape and its color is good.

I have not covered them or given them any water since the transplant. So, now there is the question of when to give them water again. For now, I plan to just mist them a bit when their day starts again and put them under a misted clear plastic dome to help keep their leaves moist. This way the seedlings shouldn’t dry out, but with the all the holes in their new pots the soil should continue to dry.

By the way, you can’t see it in the pics, but the pots are riddled with little holes.

Thanks for the help!

2 Likes

Looking like this grow is going to be a bust. The transplant seemed to stay off the problems, but they look pretty much the same today. No growth and no improvement in how they look (they may be a little lighter green in the center, not sure).

Number 1 and Number 2 are now 16 days old and number 5 is 9 days old.

All Three

Number 1

Number 1

Number 2

Number 5

Number 2 under the lights

Here is the trio right before the end of the day - my morning (they run from 3 PM to 9 AM).

Number 1 and Number 2 look essentially the same, but now #5’s leaves have drooped. WTF!?
I just gave them a little bit of water (you can see in the pics), like four or five drops from a eye dropper. I also put a trail of drops (4 or 5) to the edge of the cup. I did this so that if they are dry they can get some moisture from one side and if they are wet the other side would be dry and give them oxygen.

By the way, to make sure it wasn’t bad water, I have used nothing but distilled water since the transplant.

I AM SO FRUSTRATED!

Forgot to mention, I also raised the light to about 28" from about 22"