Ant infestation, possible stem problems and soil topup?

All 9 plants are doing well except for the two smallest ones that have gone into flower slowly over the past couple months while the rest are only just transitioning into flowering stages now. On one of the smaller ones, the stem seems very brown a lot of the way up, i haven’t grow for a long time so I can’t remember if this is something to worry about or not. And in the other, there is hundreds of these fat looking ants nested in the pot. What is the best wayu to get rid of these cause i know they will end up doing more harm than good. And finally I put something like 25L of soil in each pot but the soil has compacted a lot and as its an outdoor grow they still have at least 4 months to go, would it be worth topping up each pot with say 5-10L of soil?

All other plants looking healthy besides me getting lazy during 35 degree weather and them being under watered much more than they should of lately.

46149e7.jpg" width=“375” height=“500”>

I’m very sure those are not ants. I think they might be termites.

~MacG

2 Likes

I thought that but i didn’t think termites would have any interest in nesting in my pots, the soil i used had almost no wood chips in it from memory. Is this a common occurrence that you know of?

I agree with MacG, I work with alot of firewood and I see them critters all the time .the browm stem looks to br health. There are green leaves and branches comming from the stem i wouldn’t worry about st this point.

Will

Cheers will, every things green around the stem so i wasn’t too worried about that. Im thinking a pyrethrum solution for the termites after doing a bit of reading, hopefully it does the job or they’ll snack on my roots then eventually up the stem…

Yup they have to be delt with cause thay will cause a lot of proplems…

Will

1 Like

Yep very true… From what i can find, pyrethrum is one of my only options. Diluting it into the two litres of water i usually feed them with and getting it all through the soil… About to head out and give it a try, fingers crossed…

just remember if you add pyrethrum to the soil enuff to be effective it WILL become part of your plant .still good for a mother , but i wouldn’t smoke it , try DE dietiotamatus earth spelling is incorrect . or try GRITTS… the DE acts like glass shards and gets in between the plates on their body’s so they bleed out . the gritsa they carry into nest and consume . then it swells so much they bust their insides lol . all s fair when its bugs or your girls .lol you should see the effects within the week . ps keep the grits dry cover the ground with board or tarp provide a small air space , let me know if this works . i use these things on carpenter ants

2 Likes

Well i ended up buying a concentrated pyrethrum solution a couple days ago and mixed it in with my water yesterday. It was meant to be used as a foilar spray but i just mixed up what it said (20ml per litre of water) and watered it into the soil. Within a few minutes every visible termite was dead. The bottle said its a solution to get rid of aphids, thrips etc and can be used on edible vegetables so i figured it would be okay. Im thinking about going back out today with just straight water and flushing the two pots i watered with pyrethrum.

1 Like

These plants still have a long while to go before harvest, are you saying the pyrethrum will become absorbed into the plant indefinitely?

just saying NOT SURE . BE carful of what you feed them .that goes double for any form of pest control… the two things i mentioned are not harmful to people , and i know i don’t want to ingest pyrethrum. use a dust mask with the D E. if you can ,natural options are best . once into the soil of your plant its in the plant… .Read an article in a advanced nutes catalog that talked about using cannabis plants to help clean up chernoble power plant disaster . they plant it to draw the radioactive material out of the ground …

i am very fortunate that my state doesn’t have fire ants .they double tough . read a bit on them ,born survivors . good read pigsquishy .i just learned something new . thank you…

1 Like

Radioactive cannabis, now thats something! I probably should have tried DE first but i was just stressing a bit and wanted them gone as one pot was completely full of them in the hundreds. They get flushed often enough with rain water and i water every few days, a few more months to go so id say they will be fine by smoking time but i do agree, natural is allays best if it will work. Im yet to see if the pyrethrum has affected the two plants, didn’t get time to go out today but I will tomorrow afternoon and update then.

can you set them on a glass bowl ?? as to the radioactive thing it makes sense pot is a weed ,weeds will suck all the surrounding nutes and minerals away from any competing plants . natures sponge… Kinda blew my mind … mite be A/N tall tale their magazine.lol

Went out today, every things looking sweet termites are dead and no ill effect to the plants. Having an issue with under watering but thats my own fault, up until a month ago they were taking 2L of water and still having runoff and staying healthy for 3 days until the next water. Now they almost need a water everyday but I finally realised i gotta up the water intake to at least 3L of water as theres no runoff coming out of the pots anymore, so therefore not enough water going in… simple fix but I’m not looking forward to lugging even more water out into the bush

So you put in black plastic above the soil to shade it and prevent the sun from drying it out?
Come to think of it this could work really well, the intense heat in outdoors summers is always going to dry soil out quicker but with basically any kind of plastic shading the soil it would prevent a whole lot of moisture loss I would think. I might give this a try and let you know the results. Thanks for the input pig!

I’ll start watering with 3L and put some shade plastic on sometime in the next week, hopefully with some good results