1st grow of 2024, with Grow Dots

I think tonight I’ll setup the bases then. I’m just going to use regular water since I’m using the grow dots.
Once a week I’m going to top water in some recharge and maybe some calmag as needed, but that’ll be down the road a bit.
Thanks for the input! I appreciate it.

2 Likes

No worries truthfully they are very versatile and I have seen plenty of videos on you tube of others top watering the entire time and letting whatever is in the bases just be there for the plant if it needs it
I like that the top few inches of dirt is always dry for the most part and the frequency I need to water ,using them as bottom feed only
It’s just what works for me and doesn’t mean it’s right or wrong lol
I’m excited to see how your plants like them and how you like them so I’ll be over here with my dab rig and a lawn chair !!

2 Likes

Question about the jacks 321 and the ACI bases… how does that work? I mean, you just mix up a gallon of 321 and pour it in the base? That’s it? If so, how long does it go before you add more? I understand that might be a loaded question, but ballpark range maybe?
Just curious is all and sort of kicking around the idea of setting up my other tent and trying out 2 with Jacks.

2 Likes

That’s it
I use gallon jugs
I measure out 3,79 part A
1.0 epsom
2.50 part b
I add the part A then fill the jug with warm water
Cap it and shake
The the Epsom and do the same
Then the part B and do the same
Fill the base ,
It really depends on how much your plant drinks
The plant I have going now are drinking a gallon every 2 days roughly
The yeti weddings were taking a gallon a day
Both autos
They yeti are 3 and half feet tall plants tho
These are small bushes
What I usually do is just make a bunch like 5 or 6 gallons
I have 6 plants
And usually a gallon or so maybe not used so I wait a few hours and then pour it in whichever bases need it or even the next day I’ll just empty it .
It’s honestly not complicated at all and the first time you fill the base plant in the base or not the wicks will absorb the water and get the fabric pot wet so you’ll prob need to refill right away

At first as the plants are small and don’t drink that much obviously you may go a week without needing to refill
But you will notice immediately when the plant starts using the system and by this I mean every day you will be like wtf lol

3 Likes

2/13 update.

Each got 8 oz of water from the top this morning, but I also filled the bases with water to get them going that way now.
I did oh the water to 6.8/9 it was bouncing back and forth. EC was .08.
Still unsure what to run my ppm meter at, or really why is it even important this grow. I’ve been so stuck on measuring what goes it and the run off in the past. These bases and grow dots still feel so foreign to me.

Here is how they looked just now after sitting all day on the bases and the watering this morning.

Sour D

Gsc

Happy growing folks!

2 Likes

What’s an EC? Kidding. I don’t know much, though I don’t measure EC or PH or PPM, and I’ve found that for my growing style (soil, grow dots, ro water) that I don’t need to do so.

Before I sound too dumb and annoying, lol, forgive me … I don’t recall exactly, but you are growing in soil and grow dots only, correct? I haven’t been on the forum much lately, and I’d have to go up the the thread … I just looked, OK, I see the Roots soil and Dots, duh yeah, lol sorry about that – we’ve chatted, and you have the self-watering bases. My opinion is that you don’t need to measure anything, unless there’s something else I’m not aware of. :smiling_face:

1 Like

Yup, grow dots with AC Infinity self watering bases and Roots Organics soil. Recharge and calmag if/as needed.
I know I shouldn’t really need to measure anything this grow, but old habits I guess. Haha.
I do still wonder though if it’s worth Ph’ing the water. I tested my water and it came out at 7.5. Don’t you want it 6.0-6.8 in soil?

1 Like

Good question. This is one of the areas in which I’m terrible, I get on autopilot, lol. Soil does need to be in the upper 6 range … I use RO, which has a neutral PH, and soil does help buffer PH. I don’t recall what kind of water you use? Perhaps your water needs/should be Ph’d, if it’s off. Wish I recalled what our RO water was, though it’s been fine, we get it measured once a year during our filter replacement. :person_facepalming: Sometimes I think it’s miraculous that I can grow anything. :smirk: :joy:

I like the crystals in your pots! :slightly_smiling_face:

@Lacewing I think that you could answer better than me? :upside_down_face: :melting_face:

2 Likes

I’m the worst because I ph’d the water going in with jacks and it was 6.5 every time ,ok here and there 6.4
I use soil and I just don’t bother using ph up for .2/.3 difference
I don’t notice anything strange or worrisome ever so I just stopped
Of course you can oh for your own sanity ,or insanity whichever perspective you’d like to choose lol
Sometimes even outdoors the numbers I’ve seen when I check runoff are just so far off what I’m told they should be ,I figured the plant would be dead if they were accurate

I’m just not big on it because the routine I go through is exactly the same every time
If I see a reason in the plants to check ph
I would start at the runoff and to do so I would need to remove the plant and get it on top of something that’s going to catch water as I water it to runoff
Am I lucky ? Maybe
But I also have about labs pen and the lost use it gets is when I take it out to make sure the clear bulb is in the solution so it doesn’t dry out
Ppm also is usually right at 1150!

I’m not telling you not to ph your feed water I’m just saying I’ve checked mine a lot and doing it every time is insanity to me

Outdoors I also no longer bother as I saw run off ph at 2:4
Etc ….and that was with a very accurate blue labs ph tester on the runoff
And I know 6.4/5 is what’s always going in

3 Likes

Thanks @Lacewing , and thanks also that I don’t seem so careless. :rofl:
Also, I’m aware that soil is more forgiving.

@Caveman86 Hope this helps. :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

3 Likes

I hadn’t even factored that in so thank you for that also lol
I just assume everyone’s uses soil
Hahaha simpleton I am

2 Likes

I also don’t think it’s careless at all because you have a system that works and I’m sure at some point you’ve checked it and decided it wasn’t too far off or you never see an issue with your plants that warrants constant monitoring of your PH
I don’t think is more as if we don’t care because if we were failing you can bet that’s where the first place to look would be

2 Likes

Yeah, I mentioned being on autopilot. Full confession, I don’t even own any measuring pens, I figured if I get problems, then I’ll deal with it then; so, thankfully so far, so good. :crazy_face: I looked/found something that is supposed to be simple … talk about simpleton, no, that’s me, haha. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

With happy frog soil and fox farms trio I would ph and test the ppm every watering. Whether feeding or just watering. It was just part of my system. It was a pain, but just what I did.
Also tested the run off every time.
The ph would float from time to time, but would usually be in the 5.8-6.4 range. I usually watered with my well water which came it at 6.8/200-600ppm range in the 700 scale(that’s the scale fox farms said to use with the trio line).
I’m currently using tap water now from the city. Not my favorite, but what I have at the moment. I fill up 1 gallon jugs and let them sit open for a couple days before I use them. I’m looking to get a RO buddie in the near future though.
I just got a new blue labs ph and ppm pens at the start of the year. I had the same set, and probably still do somewhere in a box from our move recently. I just wasn’t able to find them yet.
I’m going to give up the ppm pen this grow since really there isn’t a need for it, but will still ph the water going in I suppose. Can’t hurt, right?

3 Likes

Can’t hurt one bit ,especially since you are using city water now and were using well water
I would just because I would need to know
I have everything I need to check and adjust ph and kind of wish I had a reason to use it more
I have to go make sure my blue labs pen didn’t dry up in the solution more than I use it

However I can’t be without it just in case
I’m just doing the same exact thing over and over and there’s not much change for me to have to stay on top
Even when I use jacks in flower I sometimes add mother of all blooms or one of the ff trios and still don’t ph the water
I’m bad lol
But I also just feel I am at the point where I can look at the plant and say something ain’t right and if I see that I’m looking for my ph stuff lol

@Twelve1 you are awesome for not owning measuring tools and enjoying your own cannabis ,I think that’s great and truthfully can be just another thing that you overthink or monitor so often and try to get exact and it can become frustrating and I think that’s where some growers get things wrong and decide to give it more or less if this or that and they really don’t know what they are trying to remedy in the first place

3 Likes

Have you had to put any extra calmag into the mix at all with the grow dots?

3 Likes

Hi Caveman! Mind if I pull up a chair in the back of the classroom?

3 Likes

I’d love the company and thanks for tagging along!!
Nice to meet you!

2 Likes

Your journal may have just jumped into hyperdrive …

1 Like

Have you guys seen the new heater from AC Infinity?
I got an email and pre ordered it today.
:slight_smile:

2 Likes