Worms in roots of hydroponics grown plants

I have been growing 3 plants at a time in a soilless hydroponic tent. All of a sudden I have 2 kinds of pests all in my roots. One is a tiny, segmented, dark colored worm that doesn’t seem to have legs and the other is like a tiny millipede. Both kinds of creatures are all through the visible roots, very heavy infestation. I need to know what they are, how to get rid of them, and if my buds are in danger. My plants are almost ready to harvest, I began flushing them today.

5 Likes

Howdy
Welcome
Have you pictures of pests?

2 Likes

@OGIncognito @1HappyPappy @ThatHydroCouple

Trying ti think of more hydro growers… i think peroxide but dont hold me to that… im organic.

1 Like

Do you have pictures?

2 Likes

Put up some root pics and plant pics Growmie :love_you_gesture:

2 Likes

Would you elaborate? Soilless usually describes coco or peat grows. So what are you doing exactly? Pictures and description would be necessary to help.

2 Likes

Sounds like it may be just 1 pest but you’re seeing different stages. Larva, nymph and so on…

But when you say about ready to harvest, like how soon till harvest do you think?
If really close then maybe ride it out, but if not then sounds like you need do a deep clean of your setup and potentially wash the roots out the best you (if thats possible) and fresh nutrients solution with some Mosquito bits.

Some pictures will help identify the pest but doesn’t really matter much to see the larva, treatment is basically the same no matter the larva…

Sticky cards or some tape around base of plant could catch adult pest and help identify them.

Pictures of the plant’s can help us know just how close you are till harvest and what maybe best to get you to harvest with minimal impact :wink:

1 Like

We put in the flush solution today and have checked the trichomes for color and see a lot of white and just a few with a hint of color, still some clear.

3 Likes

I don’t have a good picture of it but at least one of the little “worms” which were the same basic size as the ones you have a picture of, had many multiple legs like a millipede.

I have read about mosquito bits but didn’t know if they were safe in our hydroponics system. I’m glad you recommended them because in the past we had a problem with little flying gnat-like critters, probably fungus gnats and just used sticky boards to trap them because we didn’t know if anything else was safe.

I appreciate your taking the time to help us.
Barbara Cody

3 Likes

Looks like “drain fly” larva to me.
And the Mosquito bits are safe if you soke them and strain out the solid bits. I think the instructions say soak for 30mins then strain off.
You dont really want the solid bits in your reservoir but the bacteria growing on them is what we want to feed the larva…

3 Likes

Thank you so much for your help. I looked up drain flies and I did see a couple of flies that looked like them recently. I get a lot of flies because I don’t have a dog door and I prop my door open for my dog. I generally just kill them when they bother me and I hadn’t dreamed that they could harm my crop. I’ll be keeping a closer eye on what comes in. Thank you again.

2 Likes