Whoa Whoa! WTH! PH Troubles or Deficiency?

Thanks @WickedAle, finding that out right now, just started w 6th gallon of PHd water and still only at 6.0 (which is where I was yesterday morn).
I feel like I am basically flushing out all the nutes in the ffof soil. That being said I might give it a shot or two of Sledge Hammer (I always think of Peter Gabriel :grin:), which will hopefully help the situation.

Hi @WickedAle, in this context, what exactly are buffers & How do I go about adding them to my nutes?

I just finished 7th gal. of 6.5 PHd water and I cant get it to move up past my starting point of 6.0?
I have some Dolomite Lime, I’m going to add that and run another gallon through, I dont like that PH at all.

They should already be in your nutes. (look at ingredients for phosphates)

I believe that Dolomite has bicarbonates that are also buffers but in a different range than phosphates.

By flushing just water you are just wasting the nutrients in the soil.

1 Like

Ok, Thank you. :+1:

Checked…Dolomite lime would work, just make sure you pH to 6.5-7 before you add. (Max PPM should be 11-1200PPM.

1 Like

Thanks Man, I truly appreciate it.

Should I be mixing this INTO the Water? not into the soil?

Yes mix the Dolomite in water. May be difficult to dissolve, but better than adding raw to soil since this could cause uncontrollable pH on the high side as it slowly dissolves in the soil.

1 Like

Good Point about slow dissolve rate, did not think of that. Will mix in water, I am so behind on my work this really hijakced my day. Thanks again, I let you know how I make out.

Dolomite Good. LOL
Ok, so finally got her stabilized (so dramatic).
Started w PHd water at 6.6 & 665 ppm and got run off of 6.5 (Woo Hoo!) & 724 ppm.
Probably put 3+tbs into a Gal. of water. The Dolomite did the trick for now, going forward I will be more alert as to what I add to my water in terms of nutrients.

Looking back I probably should not have added any nutes to the Fox Farm soil (even though I was going pretty light, didnt matter, still got jacked), just water & maybe CalMag & Slf 100.
Two of the other girls, Tahoe OG (top Left plant) & Bubba’s Gift (bottom Left) are just beginning to show slight signs of the same, will be sure to attend to them in the same fashion. Cookies Kush (top right) is not showing any signs of stress at all. I knew Tahoe was pretty sensitive & Bubba G is supposed to be pretty sensitive to nutes as well, Aurora is obviously the most sensitive of the lot.

Lights: Although I had tempered the girls w the one 260 XW prior to introducing the second light I inadvertently did some damage by having them too low & running them too high, which compounded by the ph issue further as @dbrn32 pointed out. Live & Learn.

Thanks again guys, I’ll post some more pictures once I start seeing some improvement.
:slightly_smiling_face::+1::crossed_fingers::v: (gotta have all my Mojos in a row :grin:)

2 Likes

We get like 2-3 new members a year that seem to spend enough time reading or have green enough thumb to not learn the hard way. I’m definitely not one of them!

The lime is a good check. Just watch using it over and over again as its loaded up pretty good with calcium, and can lock out other nutes in excess. You should be fine for now though. I use to mix a couple of tablespoons of the coarse dolomite lime per gallon of pot size into my ocean forest before planting in it. In my head it helped buffer ph a little, and would slowly dissolve as grow unfolded.

2 Likes

Im in good company then :laughing:
Yeah, I usually do things the hard way as well of ass backwards, I try to do otherwise but its inevitable. I’ve come to expect it if not accept it :smile:
Dolomite: That’s a very good point & Thank You for giving me a heads up I’ll keep it in mind not to over use it otherwise it’ll just open another Pandora’s box.

2 Likes

As I discovered in my last grow. I added to much to the soil when I amended the ffof, and all that calcium locked out other nutes.

2 Likes

Hi @Drinkslinger, I had somewhat similar issues on my last grow but I only added like 5-6 tbs to the soil and no more than that. I think FFOF soil is ok, but as we can be overzealous to add nutes in order to have a bumper crop/massive colas, that’s where one gets into trouble. In all reality its probably good through veg state and into flower by itself & maybe CalMag, but if anyone reads this in the future be very careful adding nutrients to FFOF, very careful…:smiling_imp::smile:

One other significant mistake I made which I realized last night while pondering how I messed up was that I was basically watering every othe day (they actually needed it, these girls are growing like gangbusters). Which, if I watered on monday I was averaging 3 waterings per week, all w/small amounts of varying nuturients, regardless of the quantity and different mfgs its plainly clear now that it was wayyy too much w/ffof.

Will go back to my feeding style from my last grow and only ad nutes ONCE a Week regardless of how often I water. Did some defoliating today and even the plant I thought had escaped the ph saga did in fact have some leaves that were just starting to show the same signs.
:v: