Starting a journal (indoors)

@Hellraiser @RandomlyRan @Zee Question guys… If I buy ocean and happy frog soils when I find it will it stay fresh if I keep it cool and out the sun? I’m talking until then following year or so? Everyone local is out of Happy F so, had to resort to amazon. 2-3 times the cost. Not really complaining, I’m glad I found as long as delivered when they say…

Not sure on that one…I agree, don’t pay the big mark up on Amazon.

I’ve had gardening soils last inside on a pallet that long. It’s a fine line between open to bugs and wrapped so tight in shrink wrap it goes bad from mold and mildew.

1 Like

Sure, fresh enough, I keep them in my shed out of the sun so they don’t dry out too quick. I bought many bags of Happy Frog as soon as the covid thing started, didn’t want to run out. Priorities LOL. My only source is online, usually Amazon, sometimes cheaper on Walmart. Yes, it isn’t cheap having it delivered but I know it’s going to give me exactly what I want, so worth every cent to me. Even if it drys out some, can rehydrate with RO or distilled water (or even ph’d tap water).

3 Likes

Cool! Thank You Guys… Yes Amazon is speeding up their deliveries again. The guy at the hardware said happy frog was having production issues. Everywhere I called it was on back order. Gets my goat that I walked by a couple pallets of it to get to the ocean stuff earlier this spring. I numbered my plants for better records. One of the plants (#2 AK I took RO Ph of 5.8) and threw water out before getting EC and PPM ! (#1 BG RO …Ph6.1
EC 4286. PPM 2143.) (#3AK RO Ph 5.8 EC 6600 PPM 3900)
I have been running the run off through paper towel to get to chunks out before using tds meter. That ok?

1 Like

Not really, the paper towel can be filtering out some of stuff so may not be entirely accurate, just measure chunks and all and rinse off the tds meter afterward with clean water. I always rinse off my ph and tds meters after use in RO or distilled water.

2 Likes

@Hellraiser @Zee @RandomlyRan @dbrn32 Alright guys I have light burn on the AKs, can this be fixed and how?

Can you start a new thread, and post pics? My AK is so sensitive :frowning:

1 Like

@ Zee I will this afternoon. They are starting to look better after realizing what was going on…

1 Like

Well guys I really tried to kill em this time. (AKs) They were doing well, I just wasn’t paying attention. They grew so fast and I wasn’t moving the light. Stupid ****. Turned a lot of new growth yellowish under the lights. In normal light it is lighter but not yellow. At first I thought it was all new growth, second day a lot of yellow and leaves were thin and droopy. Like wet noodles…I took them out and let them sit in a window shady side of house for an afternoon. I took pics @Zee and @Hellraiser , My phone wont link up with pc tonight, Ill make new log with pics when I can get them. Happy Frog came today and mixed in perlite. Made up the 7 gal cloth pots. Also finished the other new light. One of the AKs needed water last night and the other 3 plants today. Week 8 day 54 Here are ROs. (6/23…#2 AK… Ph 5.8…EC 4442…PPM 2221) (6/24…#3 AK… Ph 6.0…EC 6600…PPM 3300) (6/24…#4 BG This is runt… Ph 5.7
EC 2870…PPM1435) (6/24…#1 BG Ph 6.0…EC 3972…PPM 1986) These results look like I.m doing it right. The FF feeding schedule has PPM in 700 scale? Not sure what that means. When the numbers are low means less nutes left in soil correct? What EC do we want to start giving them a food? And at that point do we try to keep it at certain levels. I know you guys are busy. Can you guys help me understand or point me to good info?

1 Like

Why different ppm scales

Yes, when numbers are low, less nutes in soil. In OF, you want to feed when ppm gets less than 700 or so. When I use OF, I start feeding light after 4 weeks.

I’ve never really concerned myself too much with runoff, ec of this or that. I feed when they need it, I start with 1/4 dose than move to 1/2 dose, with a water and calmag in between feedings. Learn to read the plants. Getting too caught up in the numbers can have you chasing things that really don’t chasing and can lead you astray.

3 Likes

Hell has you covered. I have been inconsistent with my ppm checks. I think I have reading the plant down pretty well…

Sorry to hear about your AK, they’re a sensitive plant IMO, I don’t think ILGW, should label them as a easy or newbie grow…

1 Like

@Zee I read where you guys flushed the 3 gal pots before transplant. Can you tell me why? What were the ppms before flushing if you know. Thanks Zee and Hellraiser I am still tring to get the AKs to get a little greener before transplant. A combination of too much light, on top of not feeding them really bleached them. @Hellraiser Do you think I have wreaked them? They are greening up slowly. I dont want to shock them with too much food right off but want them as healthy as I can get them before flower. Will be transplanting into happy frog. I gotta tell you they crashed almost over night. I’m sure they didn’t but I really didn’t see that they were going south. The yellowing was all new growth until it wasn’t… The ocean has nothing left except what im giving them. Last week Ive given them 1/3 Grow Big and Big Bloom. Followed next watering with 3 ml cal mag. My BGs never got yellowish except new growth. They are doing well. I see no problem filling 4x4 with these four plants, they dam near do now. If I wreaked them, it was a hard lesson not to be forgotten!!! Ill do better next round. Thanks for all the help… Anyone is welcome to post… Also spoke to my buddy about helping me frame a room in the basement! He does that shit for a living so, I’m sure we could frame it in a day. I’m excited.

2 Likes

Hey Bee,

Throughout the picture, they look healthy. Let @Hellraiser chime in on adding nutes. I didn’t take ppm before flush, 5 days before flush, I was at 660 average on each plant. However watered 2 times after it.

The flush was to get rid of any build up salts, etc… especially moving to happy frog, from ocean forest.

I haven’t given full nutes yet. My girls are on the light green side too. But will be adding nutes on a schedule next watering. Am going feed water feed start with a 1/2 dose of FF trio.

You have came along way with your grow, and I think you will finish stronger than you think. Am excited about your grow room, I think it’s a good investment.

I have came to the mindset, that my BG and WW will finish, and don’t expect sh!t out of my AK. This isn’t the best picture,but they were flipped 4 days ago. I also started my next veggie grow. Set up 3 WW and 4 BG, the strongest of the 4 will make it to flower. Going to give my AK seeds to an in-law. Am done with them.

2 Likes

I like to do a little flush before transplant to the final pot, wash out some excess nute salts and gives you a bit of a ph reset.

Don’t be afraid to feed them up when they look like they need it, I usually don’t do full dosage feedings but will if I think they’ve gotten behind in feedings, just don’t do full doses back to back. I’m going to revisit plant nutrition and do a bigger write up in my journal shortly.

3 Likes

Thank you guys… I will give them a little bit stronger mix next time I feed.

2 Likes

Update guys! The girls are starting to come around. Did not transplant yet, today would have been on your time line @Zee . I need to veg longer get them up to speed. The BGs are doing well. @Hellraiser When you said

Were you talking about the first weeks veg nutes (trio) or extended? One is like 6 tsp per gal and the latter 3 tsp per gal. per week. Last time I gave them 3 tsp. They are lots greener. Have not put plain water since 1 tsp per gal. feed and the 3 tsp feed back to back. Should I transplant after flush now or wait until I get them up to speed? Push the nutes or pH water this time… Thinking… They never had any… maybe a little more? Thanks for all your help so far Guys! Zee I don’t have any other seeds but the BG and AK. I’m going to clone the BGs. I think they are slightly different plants. We will see… Anyone welcome to chime in. Having pc problem with pics…Ill fix one these yrs…

2 Likes

Just the trio, that’s the important stuff. I like to time transplant with water frequency, once they need water every day or every 2 days, that’s when I transplant, this ensures there are plenty of roots to hold the root/dirt ball together.

2 Likes

Yeah, BG is super easy. Just gave all girls first round of flower nutes at 1/2 dose. Let’s see how she reacts :slight_smile:

1 Like