Some leaves look slightly wrinkly and serrated edges turned up

At one point I did consider that, staggering it in like 3-4 groups of a few plants each, but the stupid online track and trace thing makes that hard. It only allows a certain window to “add to a batch” before it wants it to be a separate batch requiring it’s own testing and paperwork etc. Don’t recall how big that window is but I think it’s a matter of days rather than weeks or months.
So at least on books, the buttons kinda have to be clicked at the same times. I’m already somewhat fudging that a bit, keeping track of weights on a notepad so I can put them in at the same time and still have it line up accurately ha… not sure I can fudge any more than I already am haha.

True that is definitely a factor. Whole timeline has been kinda screwed up ever since that first group took the flower room way longer than it was supposed to, and I had already taken the next group of clones on the early side, then they rooted much faster than expected ha…
Hopefully that part is at least mostly corrected now since it got colder in the veg tent, slowed growth down a bit. Ideally I’d like a week between empty flower room and next group so I have time to clean and prepare etc.
And definitely going to make myself do a better job cleaning up the undergrowth on the current veg girls before trying to flower them, so hopefully end up with less overwhelming small and loose buds to save myself some trimming stress.

2 Likes

I’ve been here more than once :rofl:

3 Likes

I’m already tired of it and only done two runs + the greenhouse girls :rofl:

Gotta say though currently I’m leaning towards wet trimming… this group of GSC that I got kinda stuck with wet trimming to peroxide bath and then dry,
Has gone much smoother than the SGKs that I dried and trimmed weeks ago.
Could be that I’m doing it all wrong with either or both lol,
But from wet weight to dry trimmed the SGK grinded down to nothing. Even with avoiding the bowl trimmer and doing it by hand, there was so much trim, yet the finished buds don’t really look better than the GSC buds that I wet trimmed with the bowl and did minor touchup by hand.
Definitely still learning how to harvest efficiently… It wasn’t a big deal in my past cuz I was always just sneaking a plant or two in when I could get away with it as a teenager :sweat_smile:
… I think back then it was actually EXCITING to trim a plant!
Oh how life has changed :rofl:

3 Likes

My very good buddy @Stoneman and I laugh about his regularly

2 Likes

Hey @Graysin , hypothetically of course,. If in the hustle bustle of harvesting a flower room, someone accidentally neglected watering their veg tent and let them get really thirsty like, 3 times in a row,.

Should that person maybe re-load the coco with cal-mag or something? Or just try to go back to feeding regularly haha…

1 Like

Wait, maybe like this:

I would strongly suggest watering slowly to runoff (30-50%) with a full dose of CalMag and then water again normally with a full dose of regular nutes, just to be sure.

2 Likes

Is pretty much where I reside now. I took a several year break from growing and started one up in 2019. Ran it to end and took a season off, then started more plants and ended up just throwing them out at about 6 weeks old. Luckily my state went recreational legal few years ago and there’s a few dispensaries nearby.

1 Like

The system there i’m sure ive seen before, but probably didn’t comment. Im not sure why more people don’t do this. I had a little 2x4 back in the day i would keep freshly rooted cuttings and small vegging plants on bottom and 2-3 mother plants on top.

2 Likes

I’ve been struggling to get my current grow started. I just took the first month of since I started. I’m roughly 50% in it, I’m worried about death by neglect :joy:

3 Likes

It takes a lot for them to die from neglect. I have about 3 recent losses from neglect death, and frankly I think it was not true neglect but just inattentiveness to basics like my pH. I guess that’s still neglect

3 Likes

One could argue it’s semantics? I suppose :joy:

3 Likes

Ahaha yeah it happens I suppose :sweat_smile:

Mine didn’t get as bad as most of those, maybe about as bad as the solo cup plant, but it’s happened like 3 waterings in a row now. So yeah I think I will do the cal-mag rinse tomorrow, especially since they’re going to be flowered soon.

@dbrn32 I considered some vertical racks like that to save space with clones and mothers, just didn’t get around to finding or building a rack that will work with the lights I have. I definitely tapped myself dry and can’t be buying new things for a while ha.

2 Likes

I built my lights, no surprise to most i’m sure. In a game where bigger is almost always better i felt your pain. If you know exact measurements on shelves you want to use i can see if there are some reasonably priced components to possibly justify seeing it through. The 22" bridgelux strips were something $5 a piece last i looked, but that’s pre current inflation, and doesn’t account for drivers, heatsinks, hardware, etc. But for something like rooting clones on 2’x4’ shelf 4 of them and a 40-50 watt driver would probably be plenty. If you wanted same sized shelf to veg plants, maybe little more than double that.

3 Likes

They were about the same not too long ago, I took a gander just for the sake of curiosity.

3 Likes

Good to know! They are pretty easy to work with and very good performance for the price. If you are tossing around idea of doing something keep your eye out for aluminum that could function as heatsink.

3 Likes

Yup your build had me considering doing my own before I went with the GBs since I couldn’t locate good cheap heatsink material and ran out of time.
It’s definitely on the someday list, both for large fixtures and probably some sort of rack for clones etc first, probably a good idea for my first build to be lower wattage haha.
Gonna be a while though, gotta get my current ducks in a row before adding more lol
Probably end up needing another tent or room too, I crowd my veg tent too much and make it a pain in the arse to train/trim or even water ha.
Currently removing two plants every time to even half access the rest.

2 Likes

Well they can’t really go without water, but if you have them packed in tight you shouldn’t need to do much for training. And trimming can wait til flower most of the time. Sounds like you may be working harder than you need to.

2 Likes

I am most definitely working harder than I need to haha.

Yeah in the veg tent them being packed in hasn’t been much of an issue except the inconvenience of watering,
But then once they get to the flower room they have room on one side so I can better access them to water(without removing plants),
So this last flower group was kind of a mess of plant yoyos and bungee cords and buds laying on other buds etc.
Hoping to do a bit better this time,
But I can’t really go with less plant material in the veg tent or I wouldn’t have a worthy yield in the end.
Already cut it very close this last run, it’s not all dried yet but I Don’t think I got much over a lb of each of the two strains, and with all the costs to get it into a shop, gonna be hard.
Not to mention idk how small of batches they’re even willing to hassle with all the paperwork for.

So I somehow gotta do this more efficiently, without sacrificing canopy space

2 Likes

I would have to go back through your journal and pay closer attention to details of what you’re doing to make a sound assessment, but I’ve been watching here for a while. Here is 10,000’ overview from me though… If you took every possible worry you could have and put it in jar, no more than 10-15% of that should be on your veg room. This is the part that should be water, feed, and try to keep a bug or viral issue from wiping out your entire crop. The reason here is that anything else can be fixed. None of us want to fix issues, but if you’re going to have one you prefer it to happen in veg. Your flowering plants going to take 8-10 weeks to finish and in this time you could start a plant from seed, grow it to sexual maturity and then start another seed and grow it to sexual maturity. Or, you could root 4-5 rounds of clones and throw them into flower. This stuff all easy money. Let the plants get a little crowded in veg. Don’t stress about training, go in on one swift sweep and top all your plants if you want or whatever, but you have too big of grow to be tweaking and tuning on individual plants all the time. If that causes concerns for being able to run full canopy then run an extra plant or two in veg, you can always ditch weakest plants later.

If you get a sprayer with hose and wand attachment or even a small pump with hose taped to broomstick will allow you to water plants in back of room pretty easily. Anything outside of stuff like this that inexpensive simple solutions can solve, I would probably take a step back an assess where you’re at and where you want to end up. When I joined here in 2017 everyone and their mother was running huge scrogs in huge pots and taking several months to get a single plant to harvest. I don’t have the patience for that. I still remember some saying a 4x4 tent was really only big enough for one plant :rofl:. I’ve been through half dozen phones since then, but i’m 100% sure there’s at least a couple pictures on here of my 2x2 tent with 14-16 plants in it from those early days. This is insanity, but if you have a clear vision and a little knowledge plenty doable. My point is, start trying to shift from trying to make it work to making them work for you. Otherwise you’ll just get frustrated and burnt out.

I got curious and went digging for pic, look what I dug up from graveyard Would a 4x6 space and one power 1000 watt hid system be sufficient for a maximum yield for 15 to 20 White Widow autos? - #12 by dbrn32

4 Likes

That’s insanely sound advice.

I have considered doing a higher number of younger plants, just wasn’t sure about the math of harvest weight vs time/months etc, and each group has to be a decent weight because they’d be individual batches needing testing etc.
But there definitely might be room for me to veg more smaller plants than I’ve currently done…

You’re def right about not spending the time on the veg room… I don’t even have it to spare lately.

A pump wand thing is a great idea… I know I’ve seen one before but for some reason didn’t realize how much I need it haha.

Definitely going to consider this, more younger plants was the original idea but I just didn’t have the logistics of how to care for a larger number, how to reach them etc.
But you’re right, I shouldn’t need to especially in veg.
Water just has to haha

Damn! That looks like a very efficient use of space.

2 Likes