Seeds won't germinate

I bought the auto mixpack (5 blueberry, 5 amnesia haze, 5 Northern lights) One of my Amnesias and 2 of my Blueberry seeds just won’t germinate (ie. the seed doesn’t open). After 5-6 days in a wet paper towel, nothing! What am I doing wrong? Could my paper towels have some chemical that the seeds don’t like? I don’t get it. Your site says 80-90% success with this method. I have had success so far with 1 Blueberry and 1 Amnesia so far out of this batch although the Amnesia was a runt. HELP!

I soak for 24 hours in tap water, and go to soil in solo cup.

I like runts, mine have done well :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Here’s a link to a germination guide I wrote up for someone earlier in the year:

3 Likes

Thanks. I’ll try it that way.

I also just do 24 hours in water then straight to soil, 13 out of the same mix pack grew some beautiful flowers, only 2 duds, try not to touch the seeds with your bare hands

2 Likes

Thanks Tinman for the advice.

1 Like

I purchased the same mix pack. I am completely new and have learned so much in such a short amount of time. I have had 100% germination. I did the method described on ILGM, soaking in a cup, in a dark place, with slightly warmer temps. All popped a root. I also did the paper towel method and all germinated although there was a big time difference.

For soaking in water 1 popped in 24 hours(BB) or a little less; one popped closer to 48 hours (NTH); one took nearly 72 hours (AMH).

Paper towel method: NTH and BB one day; AMH 3 days.

I have had most difficulty with NTH; seedlings died twice. Never came out of the seed casing and grew deformed into the soil, turned brown and died. On my next go and doing better. I would say both NTH and AMH are “runts” but they are growing! :grin:

Good luck. I have learned to be patient and let them do their thing although its tuff!

Using a shot glass of water with a capful of hydrogen peroxide has always worked for me. On average, after 20hr soak they have tails. Don’t worry about the floating/sinking seed theory (there’s a fairytale that floating seeds are bad, sinking seeds are good), I’ve never had a seed sink and they’ve all germinated.

1 Like

@stevenarno I just started growing in March and I used the germination method on the site and have had 100% germination. Even still, I wanted to try some other way.

I bought some Root Riot, just stuffed a seed in it , and lightly wetted it with ph’d water. I checked it the next day to make sure it was damp, and my Blue Dream seedling popped out yesterday. I might start most, of not all my seedlings like this, autos included. I’m thinking as soon as an auto pops, I’ll move it to it’s final home.

2 Likes

Jiffy pellets worked well for me. Easy, 100% conversion rate so far

First time using root riot to pop seeds. Hoping they will he popped today on second day

1 Like

I put mine in on a Wednesday and saw it popping it Friday

1 Like

Perfect!
Hope mine do too.

I wouldn’t stress too much. 12/15 is exactly an 80% germination rate. Your method seems to be viable considering those numbers. You can always contact the website and inform them of the ones that didn’t germinate, and they should replace them.

The real reason for checking if they have sunk or if they will sink with a slight prod is just to ensure enough moisture has entered to jump start the germination process. Very little moisture is needed and 4 hours of soaking is enough in many cases, but waiting a bit longer and seeing if they sink helps ensure that the transformation has begun.
Who knows where the old wives tail (one of far too many in the marijuana growing world) about dud seeds got started.