Seeds crumbling

Hey guys, i had to stop growing for about 9 months and i had a seed mix pack that i ordered from ilgm. It was 5 each of maui wowie, la confidential, and nyc diesel. They all sat in the same envelope & packets they came in, stored in a drawer along with previously ordered seeds. All the seeds look fine and i have several strains germinated, except for the maui wowie. 2 of the seeds were crumbled, 1 refused to germinate, another has a tap root that curled up and hasnt grown at all in 4 days. The seed is still closed, otherwise. And i have one soaking in water, but that one is all dark and off-looking too.

I dont expect a replacement or anything a year later, but i am curious do certain seeds store differently than others, or is this a problem with the seeds themselves? I have seeds that are twice as old that still look great and germinate in the same exact spot/envelope, so its gotta be one of those 2 options right? I just want to make sure i didn’t do anything wrong. Thanks.

1 Like

Im not sure at all. Honestly? Maybe a bad batch of seeds or even bad luck.

Wouldnt hurt to reach out tho eh?

I keep all my seeds in the same place. Cool dark area away from moisture and daily handling. And ive had them pop 3 years after purchase.

Had you opened the packs before storing? If so is it possible you left the baggie open? That would allow air to flow over them and I guess after so long they lose viability.

1 Like

The only time I’ve seen something similar happen was my fault. I put a vacuum on them with a Foodsaver and it crushed them. I haven’t seen similar comments in the time I’ve been here. I suppose it’s possible that they were crushed in the mail.

2 Likes

I had seed mailed to me that were crushed to oil from the P.O. like they were smashed between heavy rollers.

1 Like

Ok thanks guys. I guess ill just reach out and see what they say. The one that has a tap root…the tap root is still growing but it hasnt even begun to push the seed or create a stem. I planted a white widow, from last grow, 2 days ago, and its already up and about to start pushing the seed off

Im hoping the MW is just really old and eventually itll get to a point where it starts catching up to speed, but its falling so far behind the others, i might have to sticj with the WW. Really wanted to try that MW tho

1 Like

Just wanted to give an update. ILGM is replacing the 5 maui wowie seeds. What a great company. Great customer service too.

Unfortunately I wont be able to use them in this grow, but i cant wait to get them going next grow.

6 Likes

I got a pack of zkittles auto seeds with one crushed seed in it. ILGM sent me another five pack. Basically four free seeds. That’s why I didn’t contact them when three or four gg4 seeds didn’t germinate, but we’re back to even now. They definitely stand behind their seeds with the best guarantee in the business.

3 Likes

How do you like the zskittles? Was thinking if ordering them next

1 Like

Happens. I imagine they don’t actually pick up the seeds when sorting just shuffling them to a spot. I’m positive there’s a whole bunch of blanks or empty seed shells in the stock

2 Likes

It’s one of our favorites.

2 Likes

Great to hear. Cant believe the replacement seeds got here already too

3 Likes