Seedlings died after a few weeks

From a fellow grower: I have now planted 10 seeds. All have grown to about 6 inches tall, stopped for a few weeks, and then died. The plants are receiving approx. 14-16 hours of indirect sunlight every day supplemented by a grow light. It’s very very hot here and they seemed to wilt in under an hour in direct sunlight. Carolina Black Gold Organic Potting Mix. I have the plants in a large 32 inch diameter pot that is 36 inches deep (2 plants). I water them about twice a week

• Strain: White Widow Autoflower
  • Type (fem/auto/reg): Auto
  • Climate (indoor/outdoor): I have tried both with the same results
  • Medium (soil/hydro/details): Soil
  • pH of runoff or solution in reservoir: Unknown
  • Nutrient mix strength (EC/TDS): What came with the kit
  • Light type & schedule: Indirect sunlight supplemented by an LED grow light (I have tried just LED and just sunlight with the same result)
  • Temperatures day & night: For my outdoor attempts it’s mid 80s during the day and low 70s at night, indoor its a steady 75 degrees at all times
  • Humidity day & night: Unknown but this time of year is very humid
  • Ventilation: Normal air flow outdoors for my outdoor attempts, box fan and rotating fan indoors
  • AC: 71-75 degrees
  • Humidifier: Mist
  • De-humidifier:None
  • Co2:Unknown

2 Likes

Too little light and too much water. They should only be getting a few ml of water per day as seedlings. Overwatering is the leading cause of seedling loss among new growers. The length of the stem indicates that the plant is stretching and looking for more light. Cannabis is an extremely light hungry plant. If direct sun all day is not an option, then you are going to need high-powered artificial lighting, preferably from a light built with Samsung LM301 diodes. You need ~200 watts of quality lighting per plant to effectively flower them. Quality lighting should cost ~$1.00 per watt.

It looks like you may also have another problem or 2. What are you using for soil (brand and type) and have you been feeding nutrients?

One pot per plant is wise. The root systems will become entangled as the plants mature and they will compete for water and nutrients. This is important because the plants may mature at different rates.

9 Likes

For outside growing, Seedlings are generally started inside under ideal environmental conditions…temp range of 76-85 degrees and an RH of 65-75%. Lighting can be a fluorescent fixture set a few inches above the plant to prevent the stretching like the one in the pic. They need to hardened off with a few hours of outside exposure daily before full exposure to outside conditions :love_you_gesture:

5 Likes

For years, this was my scenario.
I found that seedlings liked some wind to strengthen stalks.
Dome watering helps, too (wet away from stalk).
Outdoors, before July in my location and morning dew/fog/clouds/cold, will kill any seedling of mine. Seattle and cooler by ten degrees for island life.
@OGIncognito has it said right, too.

Correct

Else you will do the “KING Solomen” routine

leaner on left, is supported with green wire.

Good growing to you.
two plants in pot, need more space.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your help. Since I only bought a regular LED grow light, and I want to make sure I understand your suggestion, are you saying I should be planting outside this time of year for best results? I can certainly move those huge pots outside rather than keeping them on my covered porch.