Hello everyone. Im hoping that i can get a little advice from a few experienced growers. I have a mystery strain that im growing along with some strains that i ordered. It was thriving beautifully prior to transplant at 3 weeks when it outgrew its pot. I moved all my plants to 2 gallon pots at the same time. I put them in a mix of coco, 4-4-4, worm castings. The ratio was 2 gallon coco with 6 tbsp of 4-4-4 and 6 tbsp worm castings to each pot dry ammendments. There was no rooting issues. But this plant did not like the transplant and the leaves have been a bit droopy and starting to curl. There is very slight yellowing at the tips
. But im trying to find out what i should do to get her back in shape. All my other girls are doing great. I have them under sf 4000 at 60% at 27 inches with temps 72-77 ph 6.5 using ro water and 46-50% humidity.
Coco should be ph around 5.8, it’s much more of a hydroponic medium.
Start by correcting your PH for her and the others too - that will help avoid future problems and should bring back this one. She’s very likely experiencing some transplant shock at the same time as a nutrient lockout due to an incorrect PH. It’s not wildly out of bounds, it’s just a bit too high and the worm castings are dragging it up higher than that over time.
Thank you ill give it a try… i was brewing a compost tea to try and help. But ill hold off. But question. The other 5 are doing great so with no dificiencies at all. They are different genetics than randy. Should i let them be or adjust them too
I would give them all 5.8. Just because the others are more resilient and care less now about a high ph doesn’t mean that they won’t ultimately give you grief about it, whether in a week or a couple months. Better to feed them all on the same schedule now and prevent having the same ph lock out problem with a different lady down the road.
I don’t honestly know - usually my plants bounce back from the trauma I subject them to within 1-3 days. Coco may rebound faster but I’d assume 1-3 days just to err on the side of caution.
Oh, that’s a better question for @JaneQP while we have her here. I’ve never used a tea of any sort. I’m somewhat afraid of foliar feeds and brews that take longer than 5 minutes. Not really sure why.
@Will82 First I have not grown in cocoa but have read quite a bit about it. I only grow in soil with organic dry amendments.
What is your 4-4-4? A dry amendment?
From what I understand Coco itself is inert and you have to keep it watered daily and well nourished throughout the grow.
What type of water are you using? Graysin already recommended lowering pH which is on spot. If it is tap water you should check with your water provider to find out their disinfection process.
I used compost teas on my last indoor and outdoor grows. It kept all but one plant happy. I was also using it on my garden so I was brewing 5 gallons every three days. Do you have a brew method in mind? If so what will be your mix?
If you can get back to me with your water source and how you are going to brew your tea I will do a bit more research.
Hopefully before I respond again some more coco growers will join in.
Glad to have you here and everyone wants you to succeed!
Ditto as @JaneQP@Graysin . I grow in coco and water/feed daily to run off. In auto pots but same concept. Possibly raise your pots so they won’t sit in the run off