LJ’s Journal of delicious canna babies

I’m glad I’m not the only one doing it :sweat_smile:

Two things.

It was essentially topped. And the side growth (growth tips) are receiving the energy that would have gone to the center stem.

Take another look at the instructions on the Canna Terra Bag. It says to ph water to 6.0. It is apparently 100% peat based products and is therefore treated as hydroponic.
Here are two hydro nutrient uptake charts

The growweedeasy chart is a little more generous.

Although the input ph is a little higher than I would suggest, the runoff ph is at the lower range of optimum. Continue to monitor the runoff’s ph.

When are you going to flip to flower?

1 Like

Wow thanks for pointing that out. So should I ph to 6 and see if there is an improvement? And so does that mean it’s ok for the run off to be low? I worry when it’s below 6 normally.

I’m still undecided about how much longer to veg her. I’d really like to test the capacity of the tent space this time. Here she is today:

I took a few leaves off not too many.

Snapped another branch:

@beardless I see what you mean about her being topped. I might be more confident to try manifolding next time having seen that principle in action.

4 Likes

I am thinking the capacity of the tent was reached a month ago. This GDP was flipped on day 63

It is 36" tall and 36 x36" wide & deep.

I know with absolute certainty that you will need to reduce the total overall mass of your plant. GDP is a very dense plant. It will have no space for air movement, bud growth or light penetration.
This is a current GDP. It is also 36"+ tall above the soil. It was pruned to 8 main stems and is 24x24" square. It was defoliated several times and pruned numerous times of secondary growth. It needs this to be done to maintain its health and to prevent molds and decease.

4 Likes

Here is my beautiful girl, three days from switching to a 12/12 light schedule (On or about day 70), and she is keen AF to get going. :smile:

So you will see she’s had a couple of good hair cuts; I had to remove this drainage platform:

Even though it’s great and I’m using it elsewhere in the gardens here, it robs too much precious height space, a good 10cm.

She’s so thirsty, I’m amazed every day at how much she’s consuming. I’m feeding the same nutes as stated earlier and have just started adding a bloom booster from the same range as per the instructions. I can’t see any recent signs of deficiency on the leaves as discussed up thread. I have no plans to re pot her now that she’s in flower, but what about any further defoliation? Some peeps say it’s ok in flower some say nay.

How is she doing? Any thoughts?

More pics to follow.

3 Likes

I say be intentional when you remove leaves. When doesn’t matter as much as why. If you’re trying to open up some airflow, good. If you’re trying to get light to bud sites, remember that the buds don’t actually need light to form - the leaves convert light into energy, so more fans is better. But if some fans are blocking good ventilation or preventing more light from getting in than it can absorb, it’s time to ditch em.

2 Likes

3 Likes

I know I think everything is light damage :laughing:
but is that light damage in the middle there?

1 Like

She’s getting really stinky too. It hit me when I walked in the door last night.

Also, this is her little sister, 6 weeks, just chilling with the tomatos in the living room.

2 Likes

Uh oh you dun turned into LJ apple seed, dropping em left and right…lol I think she looks healthy, one little curled leaf. She looks happy to me. :sunglasses: :peace_symbol: :heart:

2 Likes

I have never seen a plant do this before; I’m assuming reaching for light. This morning she looked normal (see above), and when I came home one of the top fan leaves is off on a tangent doing it’s own thing.

2 Likes

Still looking good.

1 Like

Three days from flipping and she looks great. The stretch is officially on.
I follow a very traditional defoliation pattern
Pre flip I clear out the bottom and get rid of any growth that will not reach the upper 1/3 of the canopy. This is obviously a judgement call and in the end I usually think I should have taken more.

During the first three weeks after flipping I continue to mostly remove unwanted growth of suckers and secondary branches. They just steal resources and congest the space. At three weeks I defoliate by removing large fan leaves. Mostly from the center of the plant. I want it to be open with free air movement. I do it again two weeks later. After that I for the most part let it go. I will move leaves or buds to improve location. And will also remove some unwanted leaves or baby buds I missed earlier.
Growweedeasy has to good defoliation tutorial

2 Likes

Doin great congrats :muscle::100:

1 Like

Thanks everyone :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Yes as @beardless says, definitely stretching! And running out of room.

I’ve noticed with this strain, the plants seem to be very good at indicating when they need something, when she’s getting thirsty the lower fan leaves will droop slightly. She’s in a 7 gallon pot and she seems to want about 10-12 litres of water/food every third day. I water to about 15-20 % run off.

As suggested above, I have been pHing the water to 6 instead of 6.5 and I haven’t noticed a change in the run off pH. It’s still around 5.8.

Today she looks thirsty again to me and she was watered 48 hours ago. Would she be getting thirstier now in flower?

My history of watering is not good. I over watered my first girl, an Australian strain called Dream Girl, and ended up with a terrible infestation of fungus gnats, one of the many boo boos in that grow. But that’s made me often at risk of under watering too so I’m still not confident. This is only my third plant.

I’ve fed this bloom booster a couple of times too. It really stinks.

1 Like

Is that Bloom Boost worth 140 bucks do you think?

And here they come:

2 Likes

2 Likes

…and it’s spring in my others gardens too. :smile:

That spider in the video is (I think) a golden orb weaver, native to this southern land. She will possibly spin a giant golden web on my balcony so that will be fun.

2 Likes

Ok can’t post a video here?