It's That Time of Year Again

There are even apps out there that will identify critters with a photo.

7 Likes

Its as easy as taking a picture using google, never down loaded anything.

Instead of typing on google, hit the camera feature on the search bar.  

Very accurate on identify wildflowers.

5 Likes

You are correct but for plants i love the “picture this” app.
I do use Google image search some to but that app is more convenient and gives better search results then Google. The app hasn’t failed me yet, Google takes some searching through unrelated stuff some times, for me at least :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve almost given up on flea beetles. I’ve saturated the garden, every evening with CJ and Arbor. Soaked my yard with idk what it was, but it wasn’t cheap. The next morning they’re back like stray dogs being fed. They are utterly relentless and leave spots all over the leaves of everything. I almost threw out an entire 5ft tall auto at harvest because I was worried how many may come out with the wash. Less than I assumed. Nothing else really getting to the garden (no more cannabis outside, it’s too GD hot), but every morning I go check my veggies, there’s freaking swarms of flea beetles.

2 Likes

Im dealing with a ground hog that eat just about all my sunflowers down to the ground, its eaten several cantaloupe. Every day this week I wake up to something else gone :unamused:
I got something eating my strawberries and idk what it is :confused: what ever it is, its eating only the ones thats about ripe and they eat only the top layer around the seeds, looks like what leaf miners do to leaves but with almost ripe strawberries :man_shrugging:

I planted this 1 strawberry last year and it’s exploded this year with berries and runners but so far every berry is getting eaten :sweat:

2 Likes

Jeez man, I don’t even wanna heart that.

3 Likes

I wonder if putting out red pepper flakes around or plants would help deter animals. Man that’s heartache right there. I’m a big plant person. I hate to see hard work and passion go to waste cause of pests

3 Likes

I use minced garlic. It works great.

2 Likes

My wifey cuts hair and she used to bring it home to put in Grandma’s garden for deer. Thanks for the garlic tip

1 Like

We have put red pepper around, it hasn’t hurt but the berries was eaten after the pepper.
I actually found a little dark beetle that appeared to be eating one but there was no more anywhere so who knows.

We bought this house in the city and the ground soil is red clay, I’m talking i could make bricks with it its nearly pure clay.
I could buy a years worth of vegetables for what I’ve spent in soil filling pots and raised beds :sweat:
So yeah it sucks, it my first year trying grow anything outside and I truly thought id see less bug in the city bit theres more :sweat_smile: and stuff ive never even seen before :rofl:

1 Like

Thats actually pretty genius, ive never heard that, but most deer want nothing to do with human smell. This could work with other animals to maybe.
Wondering if I offer to sweep the floor with theu let me have the hair or call the cops on me thinking im crazy if i ask :rofl:

2 Likes

I started composting a year ago and haven’t looked back since. Buying dirt sucks :pensive: I also live in red clay country :rofl:. Everytime my wifey use to bring home a new yard plant I’m like :person_facepalming::sob: cause digging red clay and rocks is no fun LoL. I use a 1⅛ concrete drill bit now to break it up before removal. I also buy ladybugs and praying mantis babies to release every year to unleash hell on outside garden pest

1 Like

I have less the ½ acre of land and it is pure red clay and glass :confused:
I kid you not, its like my place was a glass landfill or something before they built the house :sweat_smile:
I’ve gotten hundreds or old jars and bottles of all times from prohibition liquor bottles to old mason jars, beer bottles of all sizes that are not broken and i bet 1000s worth of broken bits.

It’s absolutely puzzleing how so much glass could be in one spot :man_shrugging:
But idk if ill ever be able to do much in ground considering this :pensive:

1 Like

I’m curious myself now for sure about your yard situation. I’m a history nut LoL. Yeah you can copy mine if you what it’s a simple set up pal that I hope you can use. Table scraps, yard trimming and the dirt out of my old runs. I bought a house and whoever owned it before me had some hellions as kids. I find broken glass against the house every time it rains hard :person_facepalming::upside_down_face:

1 Like

@1HappyPappy ,Far as in the ground be like my wifey start planning every flower you can in the yard and replace it one flower pot at a time :rofl::grin::wink:

1 Like

I’ve got all kinds of pallets, i think i will build me something like that.

I’ve got a few pots going :sweat_smile:

1 Like