Infused Mead and more Mead!

When I was making Melomels I used Ec 1118 alot!

2 Likes

Got all 5 re-racked yesterday and added stabilizers.
Waiting for my new fermentation bags to come in and will be adding more fruit to the pear, peach, and blackberry.
Will also be adding vanilla and orange zest to all five, plus oak cubes for the traditional and infused. After another couple weeks will back sweeten the traditional and infused. Fruit meads/melomels will get fruit twice more for 2-4 weeks each.

Traditional 5gal.
Current Gravity: 0.988
11.61% ABV

Infused.
Current Gravity: 0.993
16.45% ABV

Blackberry.
Current Gravity: 0.994
17.36% AVB

Pear.
Current Gravity: 0.996
17.16% ABV

Peach.
Current Gravity: 0.994
17.36% AVB

Ended up using a sanitized coffee filter to catch all the floaters and lees that the wand sucked up. Worked good, but going to be a ton easier using the fermentation bags.

5 Likes

Wooooowe nice going should some good dranks there :beers:

2 Likes

Fermenting bags came in so added more fruit into secondary!

Traditional: orange zest, vanilla bean split down the middle, and oak cubes.

Infused: orange zest, vanilla bean, and oak cubes.

Peach: orange zest and 1lbs peaches.

Pear: orange zest and about 1.5lbs peeled and diced pears.

Blackberry: orange zest and 1lbs blackberrys.

Had to weight the bags down to keep everything submerged, worked quite well.

Oak cubes trying to float.

5 Likes

Those are looking quite yummy. I wish my city would allow beekeeping!!

4 Likes

I can’t wait to have enough property to start bee keeping! Wonder what honey made from cannabis plants would taste like. Would have to see if the bees would need the male, female, or both sex of plants to make honey from.

3 Likes

Goes against one’s right to the pursuit of happiness I say

3 Likes

Love the updates thanks for sharing.
I need to start some mead soon I get honey from a couple friends locally.

I would think they need pollen right. So males.
Could be wrong but nature always surprises us

2 Likes

Cannabis is mostly wind pollinated, not bee. Flies, ants and maybe a confused bee. Cannabis does not have fragrance nor colors to attract bees. Nice thought though.

3 Likes

Re-racked and back sweetened for bulk aging.

Traditional Mead 5gal.
Added about 3lbs honey to bring gravity to 1.012 - semi sweet range and 12.7%ABV.
Can now taste the honey, hints of vanilla, citrus, and nice mouth feel from the oak.
Extremely happy it didn’t taste like jet fuel at all!
Was super clear before adding more honey, could easily read my notes through it, should be clear again in a week or two!

Infused Mead 1gal.
Added about 9oz honey to bring gravity to 1.020 - semi sweet range and 13.18%ABV. Starts out with a nice sweet forest/pine & honey flavors with a hints of citrus and vanilla. Finishes with an alcohol/ pine taste that hopefully improves with age.

6 Likes

You are beginning to make me salivate. Good job, man

3 Likes

Very nice looking treats here. Beautiful work

1 Like

Update!

Removed fruit, re-racked, and back-sweetened the Blackberry, Peach, and Pear Meads!

All three are around 13% ABV and taste amazing! Ended up a bit sweeter than I wanted. Used my last gravity reading which was before this last set of fruits and forgot to take that into account. Each got 6-8oz honey.

Bulk aging till they clear up again and then bottle.

Blackberry.

Peach.

Pear.

2 Likes

OMFG!!!

I’m so glad I found this thread!! This is frikken awesome. I’ve been wanting to make mead for years. I never considered INFUSED mead. I’m giddy just think’n about it. :rofl: :crazy_face: :joy: :four_leaf_clover: :four_leaf_clover: :+1:t4: :+1:t4: :+1:t4: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

2 Likes