How many seeds should I germinate

I want 3 different strains in my next grow. Several won’t pop and I like to have several to choose from at transplant time. I’m thinking maybe starting 5 seeds of each. What do you think?

4 Likes

I, personally, grow what I need. I do two or four different strains each grow in my 4x4s.

Usually my germination rate is 100%, so I take a chance some don’t pop. That way, unless I scrog, if I have to pop another seed or two that space in growth, may either catch up, or gives me the extra time I need at harvest and trimming time.

If I could I’d only grow 1 strain as growing from seed will give different phenotypes… This way I could take clones of the best of four. Whereas, with two or four different strains I have less chance of getting a killer phenotype to clone from.

7 Likes

That’s your call; I normally have 100% germination and have had runty seedlings outperform all the others.

12 Likes

Thanks, that really helps. I’ve never tried cloning. I plan to try soon. It doesn’t sound too difficult. I already have some cloning gel. Would I need two tents?

3 Likes

@Dj351 I think you’d need a veg tent… Or at least a clone area and light.
Definitely something you wouldn’t do at flower tent light times or spectrum.

There’s plenty on here for cloning if and when you need it.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Thanks, I don’t have room for another tent currently. I’ll stick with seeds for now.

1 Like

Any tent 4x4 or smaller…. I would germinate one of each and grow just 3 plants.

4 Likes

If you plant one seed it wont grow, if you plant 12 they’ll all pop…just the way it goes lol.

Seriously though, i would just do 1 of each and if one doesnt pop then just retry that one. Don’t want to get too overwhelmed.

2 Likes

I’m on my first grow. I germinated 6 hoping 3 would make it. All 6 made it and I couldn’t let any of them die so I ended up with 3 plants that don’t fit in my tent and are a constant hassle to take care of. And having plants out of the grow tent defeats the point of getting the grow tent. So I would only germinate what you need, if one doesn’t make it, just germinate one more.

1 Like

Hey @Dj351 , I’m late to the party here, but I gotta ask, What did you decide? I think I know what you were thinkin, I speak hillbilly. :+1:
Born and raised across the ridge from ya. If I can get through my first grow ( 2 White Widows in 4x2) I wanna get some different strains so I can grow two at once. That way i’ll a choice depending on my mood, time of day and if I have a buddy that wants something different. Don’t think anybody asked what size tent you have either.

1 Like