I started with fox farm ocean forest soil and nutrient trio. They got me through the first couple of grows. You will need to supplement with calmag. I like to tinker so started modifying soil by adding compost, coco, more perlite, other minerals and good stuff. Then switched to advanced nutrients Iguana Organics line along with a bunch of their supplements. AN is good stuff and once you settle on recipe is easy to manage and use. If you like spreadsheets and excel, it is even easier.
The evolution continues. Moved away from “soil” and into inert mediums of coco and peat. And with that change in mediums, also switched base nutrients to Jack’s 321 formula. I am still using AN supplements like sensisym, voodoo juice, piranha, bud candy, nirvana. With the change from soil I also changed from top feeding to one autopot and sub-irrigated planters I assembled.
I am liking what I am seeing with the autopot and my SIPs. You can check it out at Let’s Grow Some Purple Kush
You can count of knowing where you start is not where you will end. That is part of the enjoyment I receive from this endeavor.