Dark Devil Droplets?

Hello everyone! I haven’t been here in a while so I wanted to share some experiences. So I grew some Dark Devil Auto and the plant is a beauty.

So I was manicuring some last night and came across these droplets:::

Is that resin? I’ve grown several plants before and have never seen that before. Hope to hear back!!!

Happy growing everyone!

5 Likes

woooo hooo @monstre. those are exactly the things that i saw 30 years ago when i grew skunk#1 from seeds sent from amsterdam and grown in a phototron. it was the best pot i have smoked before or after. i called them “pea sized balls” of trichomes and after reading on here i thought that i might have been wrong about them being trichomes but i am very happy to see them and i’m pretty confident in this, you might have what i am looking for. i am hoping to see those pea sized balls in some of the pot i grow and i think you will find that that plant will be exemplary.

1 Like

@monkman holy crap man!!! So is it safe to say that this is rare? Needless to say I had some on my glove and I couldnt resist a taste lol it was sweet and actually delicious. The plant itself is super sticky. I found a couple more spots that were wet like these pics too. I wonder if there is a way for the plant to produce more. That would be amazing!

3 Likes

@monstre i think it is rare. but that pot back then was the only time i grew in the phototron due to circumstances and i have 5 white widows in for 12 days in my first grow back at it. in other words i have no idea how rare or if it is even valid, that will have to be on the experienced guys here to give us some info on that. but i was so happy to see them and will celebrate with a morning wake and bake of some candy kush!

i made the mistake back then of putting some of those buds in a baggy, had to cut the baggy open to get the pot out lol.

1 Like

i’m going to link a couple guys in to look at this for you @monstre @MattyBear @SlowOldGuy @dbrn32

what type of media did you use to grow this @monstre. the phototron was spagnum moss/hydro. just wondering if the excess resin is a product of doing hydro.

Ya, that’s usually caused by water pressure in root zone and leaves not transpiring.

2 Likes

@monkman hahaha enjoy!!! What is a phototron?! I have the girls in a jar curing and I think I will keep them there cause they are so sticky! Also the medium I have been using is the fox farms ocean forest. I really like it and I’ve had no issues. This is like my 4th plant only so far but it’s working quite well for me I grow indoors in my bedroom lol

1 Like

@dbrn32 thank you!!

1 Like

Absolutely georgeous plants. Nice job. I see a lot of water droplets forming when I heavily trim my fan leaves off. Maybe this also translates to resin too.

1 Like

Looks like conflicting views on the previous point:

What about trimming shade leaves during flowering?

This is one of the most contentious practices among marijuana growers. Its very popular say in Spain where even the tomato growers remove large shade leaves during the flowering stage. The theory is that these leaves draw energy away from the buds and may indeed accelerate flowering maturation.And yes, we have seen some youtube vids and grow reports of plants almost fully stripped of leaves that look quite good.

BUT science tells us that pruning cannabis for maximum yield means avoiding pruning during flowering. The large fan leaves photosynthesize the energy needed for good buds, and even as the plant matures and the leaves turn yellow, it is better to let these gradually reabsorb the energy rather than shock the marijuana plant by pruning them. Leaf removal may even prompt sex change.

2 Likes

@WickedAle thank God I haven’t been trimming in the flowering stage!!! Thanks for the information. :slight_smile:

@WickedAle Thank you for the compliment on my baby also!!

@monstre i visited my support folks at the Treehouse and they said it was probably exploded trichome. i think he said that the trichomes are resin ports for plant and that kinda goes to what @dbrn32 says about the pressure in root zone. he said he has seen it before but not a lot.

it is probably a trichome, but it is not resin, it is full of water/nutrients/sugars.!
the taste proves it is water, resin is bitter and very ‘dry’.

like dbrn said…
the roots r moving more water then the leaves can expel.!

like Wicked said…
u usually see this on heavily trimmed plants.

2 Likes

@SlowOldGuy @monkman thanks folks! It was definitely sweet and I didn’t trim her much through the phase. All in all it’s pretty neat! I wish there was more to taste hahaha

2 Likes

I’m sorry @monstre. i completely skipped over the “phototron” thing. Here is an anecdotal article written a while ago and i will do another post from another thread which gives my experience with it.

Cannabis Culture – 15 Dec 94

The Amazing phototron | Cannabis Culture

You’ve heard about it, you’ve seen it advertised, but is it as good as it’s cracked up to be?

monkman

20d

it is a little jumbled up because i took out the tags so i don’t jump a bunch of people here who have already seen this.

I read thru the whole thing and think it would be good background reading for anyone who is interested in pot. I think this is very early in the phototron’s life cycle as when i had mine you didn’t send in stuff to him. that part was gone. but it is the same unit. But the manual that explained all about how pot grows was exceptional. I know that the people around here now do not believe what he wrote, but it is true. I had to keep temp of moss and of air in tron around 90 degrees f and that would keep it from turning male. he said that all plants are female and you can stop them from turning male by keeping the temp up. you started trimming when the third set of leaves showed and you took off one of the leaves to start the branch growing from the side that you didn’t take. you kept doing that the whole time and took the other leaf off from where the branch grew when the branch got to be an inch or two. I had skunk #1 and Hawaiian that i had sent to Amsterdam to get mailed into the states. When i harvested the skunk 3 months later i got two and three quarters of an ounce dried from a plant that was about about `15 inches tall. there was an eighth of an inch between nodes. and it took me less than five minutes a day to trim it. The Hawaiian took up the whole rest of the tron by the time i finished.i got 3 ounces dry but it should have gone flowering for a while yet because they were small buds and they were not ready but we were leaving on a trip to Texas and they had to be harvested. It took 4 hours every day to trim the damn Hawaiian. there was less than a half an inch between nodes on that damn plant.
Anyone who grows a sativa in a tron is a sadist or masochist or one of those things lol. I have traveled a lot for work and have smoked for 50 years. i am an old boy scout. i swear i am not exaggerating. i have never smoked or seen pot that compares to that skunk. I said earlier that there were so much trichomes on the skunk that they were balling up in pea sized balls. I backed away from that because i read up about trichomes (didn’t know to check them for harvest back then just harvested because i had to) and didn’t see how it could be that they would do what i saw, but when i see trichomes balling up in pea sized balls again then i will know that i have pot as good as i grew in the phototron. That is part of my goal in starting again and finding i can’t do phototron, trying to duplicate it or get close to it again. this guy is not bs’ing. what he did is real.
please read the article at line 63, “the amazing phototron” another ps… as i remember… the guy who designed the phototron did his doctoral thesis on marijuana. it doesn’t say that in the article, but the article is an anecdotal example of growing using the phototron, not about the guy who designed it per se.

A friend of mine has been trying to sell me a Phototron. I didn’t know what it was at the time and passed on it. But i’m gona have to check this out in more depth. The only way i would attempt it would be to add nutrients on your own without being dependent from the Phototron Co.