The Grow Goddess and a Chocoloupe Seed

Good plan @raustin more air flow helps.

1 Like

Yes, normally I don’t start to worry about air flow until later, but it can be tough in winter. It’s cold outside, and hot and dry inside from the heater, so getting just the right temperature and humidity is tricky. I’ll just keep checking the tent to make sure I don’t fry my baby. :blush:

3 Likes

All out of likes @raustin but I know all about the cold. I’m currently outside in a shed. So far I’m managing my temperatures pretty well. I should mention in my area of Alaska it’s cold right now 25°F but not as cold as the far north.

5 Likes

Alaska! Wow! Well, I’m in NYC and it’s 25° here too. Lol.

3 Likes

@raustin with out saying too much about my location, southeast Alaska has mild temperatures, and is a rainforest. It rains a LOT.

5 Likes

I see. It is difficult to maintain the right temperatures in your grow space when it’s 25° outside. I can only imagine the kind of heating system you’re using in an outdoor grow shed.

3 Likes

Note
Okay, the temperature is now a steady 79°F, that’s exactly where I want it. :blush:

3 Likes

@raustin I’m cheating a little. I’m using a whole boiler. Thermal mass, and I have a thermostat to keep the boiler minimum of 140°F . There’s a story why a boiler is in the shed and not the house. Lol. It’s taking names keeping my plants warm.

5 Likes

That is an excellent idea! I would imagine that boiler also helps keep the humidity up too which is a huge problem for me. I have little control over the heating in my building, so I just keep my radiator off. Unfortunately, I don’t get any steam just dry radiant heat – really bad for plants.

1 Like

The boiler exhaust is routed out, but there is a humidity spike when it’s running. Humidity is a problem in my area, but because it’s so dry right now because it’s so cold. It’s dry radiant heat in the house though! @raustin

4 Likes

We’re not going anywhere :wink::heart:

1 Like

This is a major key to success :+1: great advice

1 Like

Thanks, luv. :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Note
I thought this might be a good time to talk about the set up inside the grow tent. The inline fan I mentioned is hanging from the top of the tent bars and is connected to a carbon filter (iPower 4 Inch Air Carbon Filter Odor Control Scrubber with Australia Virgin Charcoal, 12" Length, Reversible Flange, with Prefilter). Together they help dissipate the heat and odor that builds up inside. There won’t be any smell until the plants are a good size, but heat is always a problem even in winter.

They are connected with 4" aluminum ducting that exhausts through the top hole of the tent where all the hot air goes. There’s no more smell because the charcoal filter scrubs the air clean – this is important if you need to be covert.

If you’ve never done this before then it probably sounds much more complicated than it actually is. It’s really very simple and anyone can do it. :blush:

9 Likes

Very nice @raustin

1 Like

I disconnect my fan from my filter until they star to smell, I still run the fan to control heat and keep the air fresh, but don’t hook it up to the filter until I start to smell the plants. I do this to try to stretch the life of the filter, not sure how long they last, but the longer, the better…

looking good, will be watching as they grow…

10 Likes

That’s an excellent idea! I’m gonna do that right now. Thanks for the tip @Ron330. :wink:

Now why didn’t I think of that myself? Here is an excellent example of why we need forums like this: you never know what you’re going to learn.

8 Likes

Wednesday, December 27, 2017
My two day old seedling…

She’s now standing up straight and tall, and seems to be doing really well. I shut off the LED lights for pictures only so that it’s easier to see, but they remain on for 18 hours a day.

7 Likes

Trust us, we appreciate the natural lighting for the ability to see her in all of her glory! @raustin she’s looking great so far. I’m looking forward to seeing your chocolope grow up. I’ve seen a few of these grown on the forum. I may try this one sometime.

4 Likes

Lol, I’m very picky about my photography. I won’t be taking any pictures with that horrible LED lighting. :sunglasses:

9 Likes