ShureGreens Very First Grow Journal

[quote=“Indacut, post:139, topic:111006”]
Definitely more than I thought I would have to do here :joy:.
[/quote] Freakin right??? Who knew?!?!?! Whoever did sure didn’t bother to mention it to me. Lol!

@Indacut I’m glad you don’t mind potting up. You know you should do it 3x. There’s a reason for it too. It’s so that your plants roots will utilize the whole of your medium and space and not just go to the bottom and start winding around themselves. That way when you’re feeding or watering all you provide is being used and used well and the roots aren’t having to fight over whatever gets to the bottom and leaving everything around the sides to stagnate. At least I think that’s the reason. Sure makes sense to me anyway.

@Gl1tch Yeah, so far I’ve managed to skip the section on NER. I just keep passing it by for some reason.

Also, as to nute strength, with the Autos I think they get only a half a meal, correct? And that’s for their entire existence?

While I hate the thought of sitting and watching videos, I will watch what you suggest. But only cause I like you. Lol! Anybody else would be blown off.

Also, I raised my light again this morning. It is on 50% so idw bring that part down. Btw, in the big tent they have the ViVoSun 4000 providing their sunlight.

Also #4, I did take mire photos today. If you want to see then let me know, otherwise I’m not going to bother posting them. Seems like too many photos already here. However, I am posting these 3 of 2 of my plants, 1 AO and 1 OB, that I believe are suffering from Calcium loss to see if you agree and if so if you think I need to address it with a Cal-Mag spray 2 or 3x a day or leave it be for now.

Thanks you guys! And great question Indacut!

1 Like

Next time around I was actually planning on starting out in the final pot, but idk now. Your theory makes sense to me. When I transplanted mines the one didn’t have roots poking out. Once I had it out the pot they were circling around the bottom. I have this article I had been referring to. It helps you identify what could be a issue on leaf colors. Now the flip side is the correcting. I’m going to copy it just in case you can get anything from it

1 Like

Cool. Thanks. I try to keep all the cheat sheets I think will be one day be valuable to me but after looking in that folder I don’t have one for leaves. I thought I did. I have plenty of websites bookmarked but many aren’t that great. I’ll tell you who DOES have a great section on leaves in royal queen seeds, I think it’s called. They have pictures for any and every possible deficiency, from Nitrogen to ones you’ve never even heard of or knew were needed by the plants. Then they tell you how to correct the issue. If you go to look it will be toward the bottom of just about any page and it is just be the representation letters for each mineral or whatever listed in a block. Click one and it takes you to that one. Idk? Probably be easier to link it but idt we’re allowed to do that here.

@Indacut Ok, so if you go to their site and search for the article in the 1st attached ss and scroll to the bottom you’ll see what is in the 2nd ss. Then you just click on the letters. Once you do that at the end of that page will have the same letters and maybe some more, or less, but there’s different ones at the bottom of each page that has them. If that makes sense.

Doesn’t look like calcium spots to me. They would be up high on the plant if I’m not mistaken. How much cal mag do you give them? I do see a bunt tip and a tiny bit of claw forming. You may need to drop the EC of your feed just a little. What have your input and output PH and EC numbers been the last few days?
So here is the crash course. You will use a recipe to get the appropriate NER for your stage of growth. Using a decent scale for dry nutes instead for a measuring cup will give more consistent results, especially if your mixing small batches. I use liquid nutes and a veterinary syringe clearly marked in ml. I say cut the recipe in half because if you mix full strength you will have to add a lot more water to bring it down to your usable EC. If you cut the whole recipe in half it will come out at half the EC but the same NER so you have to add less water to get the EC you want. As long you reduce or increase each ingredient by the same proportion the NER will stay the same but EC will increase or decrease. So as long as you mix 1/2 or 1/3 of each ingredient the EC will be 1/2 or 1/3. You want your starting water to be as low EC as possible because anything in your starting water has and unbalanced NER and it would be nice to fill that space with usable nutes in the right proportion. I fill up 5 gal jugs at the RO station in town but that gets expensive fast with HFF and big plants. There are also some filters that may help. 220 uS isn’t bad. You might be able to get better water with a filter, but I wouldn’t worry about that just yet. There are bigger fish to fry.
I am a firm believer in transplanting @Indacut. When done well there is now downside except the risk of making a mistake and not doing it well. It might take a little practice to find your method, but once you do transplant shock won’t be a thing. When used in combination with nursery bags, I feel the watering process is much easier in those first few weeks. Happy seedlings make happy adults that are primed and ready to be the best they can. I don’t have time today for the transplanting rant. I have to get to work soon. Sometimes it’s hard to keep my inner squirrel caged lol.

2 Likes

I mix by the 1 and 5 gallon jugs. I use 1 teaspoon per gallon cal-mag per gallon and I am using about half nutes. The bottles say 5-9ml and I’m using it at 7ml. I have the toddler dosing spoon and the baby syringe with the balbous blue end to rinse ot with after each addition. The only reason I though calcium is because of the attached photo I got from the coco for cannabis site.

1 Like

Shure, here is a simple chart showing how roots react when transplanting. You were correct in your assumption. I also should have some root pics at transplants and even a 10 gallon root ball pic.
Repot

Cant find the 10 gallon root pic.
Found them
48a9e1b372c5477ffd8098abd10308759e87cd84_2_281x500
10g root

5 Likes

Wow! That’s crazy.

2 Likes

So I thought I’d share just 2 photos this evening. Because they seem to be doing something today. This is about 6 hours after their morning, 1pm, feeding. Idk if they are stretching cause they are growing, because they sure have grown quite a bit the past couple of days, or if they are reaching for the lights, they are 36"up and it’s on 50%. Either way, just showing how much they’ve grown. Still have their Cotyledons though. One is turning brown now at least.

2 Likes

Good morning, sorry I’ve a little slow to respond the last couple days. I’ve been working till dark jack hammering through rocks and pouring concrete. By the time I get home I’ve just been passing out. plus I’m getting another dog in the next few days and I still need to puppy proof the house and yard, oh and trying to build my greenhouse. Whew! It’s gunna be a busy week. Seems like your girls may be turning a corner. We will have to see how that new growth shapes up.
I see a few of them look like they are bending to the light, which I would guess is because they are close to the corners of the tent which get the least light. Do you switch around your plants location from time to time? It’s not required, but it’s something you can do to help everyone get close to even light. I see some burnt tips on a lot of the upper growth. That can be an early sign of overfeeding. Do you have your EC and PH numbers for the last few days? You might consider dropping your feed EC 50-100 uS and wait to see if new growth develops burnt tips.
For now just leave the light where its at. While moving the light up and down does change the intensity of the light, it also changes the distribution. The closer it is the more light gets to the plants, but too close and you will end up with hot spots and the uneven light. If the light is too far away you get very even light throughout the tent, but the amount of light actually being used is much less so you get leggy plants and poor efficiency. For those reasons it’s best to keep the height relatively stable and adjust the intensity as needed. The exception being when you go from seedling to veg or veg to flower. Even then a lot of times my plants will grow fast enough that I just adjust intensity and let them grow up to the 18" or 12" or whatever the case may be for that light. Then move my light up to maintain the distance for that stage. It’s impotent to remember that light is the dimmer switch the plant uses to determine how much food, water, CO2, heat, and humidity the plant needs to thrive. The more light the plant receives the more and better balanced all those factors need to be for the plant to stay happy but it grows faster. By moving the light up and down your are signaling the plant to use more and less input, but the input is staying the same so some days it gets too little and others it gets too much. That could be why we are starting to see burnt tips after you moved the light up as well.

1 Like

Good morning Gl1tch. Busy, busy, you are. I can’t even imagine using a jackhammer. So that’s all you Dude, and you go boi!!!

Good luck with the new pup. I’ve decided to never get another. My heart will likely die with Capp.

Yes, with so many in there I’m having trouble with the distribution of the light source, but yes, I absolutely do rotate them as I would do stock at a grocery. So far 3x since they’ve been in the big tent. Honestly I see only 2 with an orangey tip. I will look closer when I get down there later. They are finally taking less water and the numbers are starting to even out. Or at least are coming up from when they were low and the pH is more on que with what I’m putting in. I did lower the amount of food from like 7 to 5ml each for their 2 feedings yesterday. I will water down further after this mornings feeding. I already have it ready is all and I have to feed the other ones today too. Should have fed them yesterday but spent more time with the 10 than I’d intended. Got some more CoCo for top dressing ready. That’s a pain. I’m out of Perlite again. I guess the bank will be loaning Karen some cash today. This kid here is killing me. Lol! Totally worth it though.

So leave the distance and adjust the intensity, right? I only have the options of 25, 50, 75, and 100%, so I’ve had it on 50% so far. Once those others are harvested I can move the Autos in there and will have more control over how evenly the light gets distributed. Fir now it is set up as best as it can be. Super difficult to move around in there, but that makes it easier to rotate them.

Sorry about the ss attached. I haven’t yet written them down on my calendar yet.

Thanks and don’t work too hard.

One plant indoors (4x4), the rest outdoors.

Rotated daily.

1 Like

@ShureGreen Suggest you ask admin to remove that pic.
The coordinates listed plugged into google maps brings up your exact location.

3 Likes

I saw that after I hit send, but heck, I don’t see anybody like stalking me or anything. Plus, I’m armed to the teeth up here and super ready for the apocalypse. So bring it on, I say. I can always use some practice. Lol!

2 Likes

Lol! And just like that, gone, gone and gone. Thanks for your concern, Spiney.

1 Like

Love it. Speaking of the apocalypse, just saw a recent post online where a guy was eating a human leg. Are Zombies going to be a real thing? If so, I cannot wait.

2 Likes

I can’t afford the lead while having too much fun.

2 Likes

Haha! Idk, but there was that one drug going around a few years ago that was making people want to chew off people’s faces and making them almost like the zombies in ‘Z’, which was a stupid movie, but dang them ones were fast and strong. Lmbo!

@DEEPDIVERDAVE Agreed there, but I have 1000’s upon 1000’s of old cull Copper Cent Coins just bagged up and waiting to be melted down. I’m not one that’s sits and wait for it to happen, but I’m prepared for whenever the banks and the market crash and all heck breaks loose. As long as I have a couple of solar panels I can sit right here and watch everything for as far as my cameras can see and stop the marauders in their tracks. Hehe!

1 Like

Its in stores now apparently… :rofl:

3 Likes

I am glad I was not drinking coffee.

3 Likes