Psilocybin Adventures

Can you post what your bulk substrate is compiled of, like volume of each component?
An how much boiling water to add to please. Thanks

1 Like

I buy a commercially prepared bulk substrate. Boomr Bags from North Spore.

2 Likes

@pillsbury - I have my recipe here on my mushroom journal.

4 Likes

how much is in one of your glasses of water? Thereā€™s a variety of glasses in my cupboard.

1 Like

Itā€™s a measuring cup. 1 Cup = 8 ounces.

The thing is, I like to make mine a little too moist rather than a little too dry. As I fill the monotubs with the mix, I squeeze it to field capacity anyway. Field capacity is taking a handful and squeeze it until water will still squeeze out but not in a stream.

1 Like

Just wondering if anyone has used this company before and if you have any advice for a newbie shroomer.ive been growing for a little while And thought I would try something new being I love shrooms but our farmers around my parts donā€™t take too kindly of people strolling through their feilds. I just ordered Midwest ultimate growing spawn to bulk kit with the 5 grain bags thatā€™s supposed to be here tomorrow. Wanting to innoculate as soon as it arrives please tips and suggestions. And do u think it would be ok to use my grow room i have a harvest coming down in about a week

Processing: IMG_20230813_124248018.jpgā€¦

3 Likes

Sorry if I hijacked someones thread Iā€™m new to social media and still donā€™t really understand how to navigate these forums where to make post or topics and all that Ive never been on Facebook Twitter or any of that. All tips suggestions and criticism will be appreciated

Sterility is everything. Iso alcohol, Lysol, masks, gloves, ways to restrict sterile airflowā€¦ are incredibly important. We all have had grows that have become contaminated with mold. Keep in mind that the very same conditions (temp/humidity) that are ideal for producing mushrooms also happens to be the ideal conditions for other mold growth. There is nothing more important than sterility.

A couple of contributors to this thread (self included) have had problems with contamination with Midwest Grow Kits products. The are good alternatives such as North Spore.

Mushrooms require an extremely high humidity to colonize and fruit. Humidity must be maintained > 85%. I use a Martha tent (pic below) and a small Honeywell humidifier. I use an Inkbird humidity controller to maintain RH above 85%.

Temps should be in the high 70s F for optimal colonization and fruiting.

2 Likes

@midwestguy Iā€™m going to have an open tent in my grow room in about a week or so. I have 4 4x4 tents in their but they are vented into the attic. Maybe if I keep things really sterile and clean and sealed up will I be ok or do u recommend finding another spot wich is going to be hard to do cause Iā€™m running out of room. Oh 4 tents in there and a diy quick setup with three on the floor cause a friend give me a light and I canā€™t stand I nice led sitting without plants under it

1 Like

Yes Iā€™m going to have to make some space. Thatā€™s just to much humidity to be in the room with my plants so far along in flower and I would hate either one of them to contaminate the other

Donā€™t cost yourself an electric bill growing mushrooms with LEDs. A 60 watt desk lamp is sufficient. The only thing light does for mushrooms is to tell them which way is up.

Iā€™ll say again and canā€™t emphasize it enough. Mushroom growing requires a sterile environment.

@MidwestGuy I appreciate all the advice. Iā€™ve got 1 more question for now. Can I innoculate a few bags at the same time and store them somehow so I donā€™t have to wait as long in-between harvest and if so how would you store them once they are fully colonized

Itā€™s best to fruit fully colonized substrate as soon as it is mature. You can wait longer, but you risk contamination the longer a grow goes on.

1 Like

I found this list of PITA acronyms that might help someone like me that hates them but needs them.

50/50 = 50% vermiculite/50% peat moss
50/50 = 50/50 with gypsum, lime, or oyster shell added to buffer the pH
AA = All American (Company that makes the best pressure cookers)
AAPC = All American Pressure Cooker
aq. = aqueous (water based)
BE = Biological Efficiency
BRF = Brown Rice Flour
BT = Bacillus thuringiensis, (i.e. Gnatrol) kills fungus gnats and other pests
CEV = Closed Eye Visuals
CFM = Cubic Feet per Minute
coir = coco coir; coconut fiber; coconut ā€œhairā€
contam = contamination
D&R = Dunk & Roll
DDI = Double distilled De-Ionized water
DE = Diatomaceous Earth
DEC = Double Ended Casing
dH2O = distilled H2O (water)
DI = De-Ionized water
DNR = Dunk Nā€™ Roll
DT = Double Tub
EtOH = Ethanol
FAE = Fresh Air Exchange
FFAE = Frequent Fresh Air Exchange
FC = Fruiting Chamber
FH = Flow Hood
FOAF = Friend Of A Friend
FSR = Free Spore Ring
G2G = Grain to Grain [transfer]
GB = Glove Box
GGMM = Paul Stametsā€™ ā€œGrowing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushroomsā€
H2O2 = Hydrogen Peroxide (3% is the standard available concentration)
HEPA = High Efficiency Particulate Arrestor
hpoo = horse manure
HW = Honey Water
inoc = inoculate or inoculant
IPA = IsoPropyl Alcohol
IYE = In Your Experience
karo = A brand of light corn syrup (dextrose)
KOH = Potassium (K) Hydroxide (OH), a strong base
LC = Liquid Culture
LS = Lab Strain
Martha = ā€œMartha Stewart everyday stationary storage closetā€, a shelf inside a zippered plastic cover
MC = MonoCulture or Mushroom Community
MeOH = Methanol
MIC = Minimum Inhibitory Concentration
MMGG = Magic Mushroom Growers Guide
MS = Multi-Spore
MSI = Multi-Spore Inoculation
MT = Mono Tub
myc = mycelium
myc piss = mycelium piss, the metabolic byproducts of mycelial respiration
Mycotopia = A ripoff mushroom site which even stole this guide!
noc = inoculate
nock = inoculate
OEV = Open Eye Visuals
OMC = Online Mushroom Community
ORF = Organic Rye Flour
OTD = Off Topic Discussion; a forum forā€¦ yep you guessed it!
OZ = Ounce
PAM = PolyAcrylaMide, moisture absorbent crystals
PC = Pressure Cooker; sometimes used as shorthand for P. cubensis
PF = Psilocybe Fanaticus, author of the ā€œPF Tekā€
pin = primordia, the beginning of a mushroom fruit body
PM = Private Message (click the little dot left of the name to send one)
PMP = Poor Manā€™s Pod
poo = poop, manure
ppt. = precipitate
QP = Quarter Pound
RH = Relative Humidity
RO = Reverse Osmosis, as in RO water
RTF = Read The FAQ
RTV = Room Temperature Vulcanization (a type of rubber sealant)
SBI = Single Basidiospore Isolate
soln = solution
SWIM = Someone Who Isnā€™t Me
tek = technique
TiT = Tub in Tub
TLA = Three Letter Acronym
TMC = Paul Stametsā€™ ā€œThe Mushroom Cultivatorā€
topia = mycotopia, a shroomery knockoff created to sell Hippie3ā€™s products.
v/v = volume/volume
verm = vermiculite
VOC = Volitile Organic Chemical
w/v = weight/volume
WAF = Wisconsin Aluminum Foundry (Makers of the All American brand)
WBS = Wild Bird Seed
WT = Wild Type

ID = Inner Diameter
OD = Outer Diameter

Species abbreviations

azures = Psilocybe azurescens
copes = Copelandia cyanescens
cubes = Psilocybe cubensis
cyans = Psilocybe cyanescens (a woodlover, often confused with pans)
libs = Psilocybe semilanceata (AKA Liberty Caps)
mexis = Psilocybe mexicana (often confused with P. cubensis ā€œMexicanā€)
pans = Panaeolus cyanescens (a dung lover, often confused with cyans)
subbs = Panaeolus subbalteatus (often confused with subs)
subs = Psilocybe subaeruginosa (often confused with subbs)

5 Likes

Pillsbury:
Right On ! The list of acronyms
Will be a handy tool, thanks

2 Likes

I have pins on the cakes this morning. I didnā€™t take pics because Iā€™m OCD about sterility and donā€™t want to open the Martha tent. Just wanted to note that it took 5 days to pinning from the time that I put the cakes in fruiting conditions. Will probably be able to harvest shrooms from the cake by Monday or Tuesday.

Iā€™ll dry them in a food dehydrator.

3 Likes

Thanks to you & @Caligurl I have broken ground with my 1st flush of treasure coast. I was concerned about the fuzzy feet so I dug around on the internet and found that it could be just the strains characteristics or to low of FAE or to moist. They are going to be larger than expected, but thats a good thing.

3 Likes

Congratulations @pillsbury! I never spent too much time worrying about fuzzy feet. They are a sign of one of things you mentionsā€¦ butā€¦ :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I worry about everything except me.

1 Like