Proper PPM ranges?

This is probably going to sound stupid but I have wondered on that chart if the range they put is the ppm going in or the ppm coming out?

1 Like

These numbers, for the most part, are assuming you are adding to zero PPM R/O water. And so you might want to add the PPM of tap water to these numbers to know what number to look for when you test it with your TDS meter.

And yes, if you are already growing in a soil that contains lots of nutrients, you might want to be careful feeding at full strength as the nutes in the soil will add to the total PPM. This is where testing the run off to estimate the PPM in the soil would come into play, or testing the soil directly.

~MacG

3 Likes

@AnneBonny I believe those are the numbers going in, but I could be mistaken.

3 Likes

So i could technically use the runoff numbers i started the post with, then mix nutes at about 1/4 strength in water, then TDS and PH that. And then hopefully the PPM of the nutes plus what the runoff says PPM is within the range specified by specific feeding charts?

1 Like

That’s my understanding, but I’m not sure how or why I came to that conclusion. I guess I’m just as curious for the answer.

Well @MacGyverStoner said to make sure to check PPM of H20. So I mixed my nutes in water, then TDS and PHd that mixture, which accounts for PPM of H20. And since i have an inquiring mind, i went ahead and made a gallon of nute water at 1/2 and one at full strength. I took the PPM of those and (i cant remember the numbers) deduced that from the quantities given, you should subtract out your runoff PPM! In hindsight it makes sense. My ppm is all over because there are 6 different strains! I bet if they were all one strain the PPM runoff would be equal!

2 Likes

Really, you’re making too much of it. Watering and feeding should take 10 minutes. IT’S A WEED! Use the feeding chart and if GH says on the package to use 1 tsp/gallon, start with 1/4 tsp per and measure what that TDS value is with your tap water. This should be simple and easy and you are making it difficult :blush:. Relax. It’s very zen. It’s not a morning commute lol.

3 Likes

Everyones relaxed over here this morning. Feeding chart uses mL and everyone says to use at 1/4 strength. So i just wanted to make sure i was doing it right after checking runoff without nutes. Funny how this WEED has an entire forum dedicated in all the difficulties and problems people run into when growing such an easy plant lol

3 Likes

I know, I’ve commented on this subject before haha @VelcroThumb. Read the package and it will show a different feeding schedule.

1 Like

Yea i was just curious because I haven’t given any nutrients and all the numbers were varied

@bob31 here it is

so are we still working with the numbers from the first post?

If so at what week are we talking? And what nutrients do you have?

1 Like

@bob31 For all intents and purposes lets say yes. I forgot i did nute them 1 time for testing. I wanted to understand what those runoff numbers meant so i tested the soil and got like 240ppm.
I would say i am at week 5… i dropped the seeds in water sept 7… sprouted on 9th or 11. They just seemed short to me, but i may be gettin paranoid/impatient lol
Btw… using GH flora series

ok, so week 5 in the soil.

GH Flora @VelcroThumb

Do you have the drain to waste schedule?

1 Like

@bob31 GH Flora Series

@bob31 btw water i use is ph to 6.5 range and 56ppm

1 Like

If you look at the GH Flora DTW Schedule they are calling for 500-700 ppm per feeding is that correct @VelcroThumb

1 Like

Actually… let me back up. Are you in flower? Or still vegging @VelcroThumb

1 Like

Yes. Thats where i wasnt sure of where i was… im in total at week 5, but the 500-700 is weej 2 on their feed chart. I just transplanted today and added new soil to bottom of new 5gal fabric pots. I cut old 3 gallon pots open and transplanted ladies into new pots with new organic soil used exclusively at a local nursery. I want to test TDS of new soil to make sure i am doing everything right. Lets say new soil is 240ppm (like my FFof), which included 56ppm of water. So the FFoF was at 184ppm if my math is right. Does that number affect the 500-700ppm of nutes? Also, is that at full strength? I read a lot about doing 1/4 strength to start. Sorry for overload… im very interested in learning about this part of the grow! Much appreciates @bob31

Vegging. Except for blueberry auto who has started to show sex a couple of days ago