Plant paralysis

I have started two blue dream auto plants. Identical fabric pots, MiracleGro Organic ProMix, (or something like that). I’m growing indoors with a very nice lighting and ventilation setup in a 2x4 tent. One of these plants is going gangbustersl I topped it today above the 5th node. The other plant is just sitting there with one set of 1 leaf and finally, what looks to be a second node. But it is clearly stuck. Also, the leaves are crusty/dry feeling and a much darker green than the other one. Help!

2 Likes

Welcome @Pitts Can you send pics? They help a lot. How often and how much do you water?

1 Like

Sounds like your soil is your culprit. MG is not a good soil for what you’re growing. Without pics we can’t look.

1 Like

@MO_Grow417 , where you located. General, not precise.

1 Like

Spfd area

Lol, me too! North side.

1 Like

That’s awesome! I grew up over there but I’m outside spfd now.

1 Like

It’s probably somewhat stunted, potentially nitrogen toxicity. As mentioned above, photos help a ton. Other items that would be good to know: how much water, how often, PH in and ph out, also EC/PPMs in and out.

Oh, and lighting. “Very nice” doesn’t entirely specify brand, watts (actual power draw, not advertised watt replacement), power level and height from the plants.

Also what you’re feeding, if anything, in addition to the soil.

One thing to know is that all plants, especially, autos, kinda do their own thing and every seed has different genetics. The stunted gal may very well just be putting all her energy into root building and she’ll explode with growth later down the line. I follow too many journals to have a prayer of tagging the right person but someone has two autos - Sugar and Baby (yea I can remember that but not who’s friggin plants they are) and Baby was pretty well stunted. She’s outpaced the other now By a notable amount.

I’ll get pics later, but really not necessary. It’s a plant that germinated, grew its first two true leaves, and stopped. That’s the picture. I check the soil every day and water when it’s dry up to my first knuckle. As mentioned, its partner is doing just fine. Also, this is not my first grow, but is the first time something like this has happened

1 Like

Northeast, but I’m growing indoors, so not sure if that helps

There’s another person on here that happened to just a couple of weeks ago. @Turbonelson He gave it a chance and had to give up on it. She was stuck the same way. Nothing past the cotys

1 Like

So, not sure if it’s the soil. The plant right next two it is growing fine in identical soil. This is the second grow using this brand of soil (It’s actually called MG Performance Organic). The first one went great! That said, I am open to suggestions of other soils. I am also thinking of building my own, as I have lots of nitrogen sources running around my yard, and have the other amendments in bulk, b/c I have large organic gardens outdoors. As I mentioned in another reply, not sure if pics will help much. Also, I have trouble importing pics from my phone, because I am not terribly tech savvy. Just picture a newly emerged plant with two true leaves. They are darker green than they should be, and kind of crispy/crusty. Next to it is a plant that has 5 layers of leaves and looks beautiful, although very compact, but I’m guessing that’s because it’s an auto

Think it could be the seed itself? I soaked three seeds (bought from ILGM) overnight. One didn’t germinate at all, even though I left it for 48 hrs. I planted the other two and now have these two. My last grow with ILGM seeds was 10 for 10 germinated.

Pictures would be helpful, but in general cannabis and MG don’t always get along. The symptoms you’ve identified here are usually due to nitrogen toxicity, which is common among grows planted in MG. Autos in particular can be more sensitive to nutes, and nutes are excessive in MG. MG nukes your plant with nutes and submarines your pH every time you water, so it is difficult to manage a grow in MG.

1 Like

This is not regular MG potting soil. This is an organic mixture (Performance Organic), so the nitrogen is released more slowly (I have been growing crops organically for about 45 years, but am new to growing cannabis). I have grown 10 weed plants in this mix without an issue this year. Actually worked really well for those. The Ph is fine, too.

Ok. It’s been a couple of weeks. Here are pics of the two plants. Identical growing conditions, very different outcomes

2 Likes

The 1st and 2nd pictures are at one week after emerging. The second two are from today (approximately one month). I’m thinking it’s the seed. Thoughts?

Also the big one was just tied down this AM

1 Like

I would agree with the seed statement. Definitely looks stuck.

Some seeds just don’t develop like others… kind of like people…I had two white widow plants and one grew great and the other stunted a bit…I put it in the garden anyway and the midget grew to be bigger than the rest…go figure

I’m having fun with it! I just trained the big plant today. I expect it will be stunning. Also put a little blood meal on the soil. I plan to flush it at some point, but am wondering how long the flowering period is for autos. (Blue Dream, specifically)