Ph not coming down!

No worries @Rugar89
i wasn’t correcting you I was sharing what i do
Good point on the compost @dbrn32
but i doubt the egg shell caused this issue

1 Like

At this point I would suspect your instruments. pH reflects the concentration of H+ or OH- ions in the soil. If there is an excess of OH- ions, then there has to be some positive ion to balance the charge. Like ammonium, potassium, or sodium. Potassium hydroxide may not show up on your meter, but something like that has to be there. Or maybe your pH meter is totally screwy?

There is a product called Sledgehammer that is better than water for flushes, but if you can’t get that today I would use the water. One big flush will probably not hurt your plant and it very likely will help.

1 Like

I agree, just wanted to point out that it also wasn’t conducive to use it in that manner.

100% agreed my friend @dbrn32

1 Like

I agree i have probes and thy are crap. I had a soil issue with my last grow i used nearly 25l to flush my plant tht was in a 11l fabric pot at the time but after she was flushed and give 6.5 ph and nutes she recovered very well for an autoflower aswell. I got alot of help on here.

2 Likes

Flush is done ! Run off came out at 7.8 to 8 and still would not lower to 6.3 after 18 gallons running through it ! Water was murky brownish off the start and at the end was a touch yellow coloring which was nice to see but still looks like I have a ph issue. Can let her go now and see how it does. Question is now do I keep adjusting the ph to around 6.3 to 6.5 and hope for the best or do another flush ? Plant is doing fine but not exactly what a guy was hoping for…this is quite the situation already…thank you again to those who share your knowledge and help one another !

How far along now? If in veg, transplant into a friendly medium since your flush didn’t work.

1 Like

Still in veg…I still can’t figure this out…would giving it a heavy dose of nutes bring the ph down and where I need it ? After putting through that much water there is no way there could be residual fert left over to give alkaline reading on the pen. Since day one I’ve never over done the nutes or epsoms. Ph pen says 7.8…and soil test still says the soil is 7.5 as well. At least this flush will give a guy some time if I need to re pot. All I can think is to give it a really good feed and ph to 6.3 now and see what happens

1 Like

No just wait and give more ph 6.3 until it drops it should but it will take time your soil ph is still high. If youve kept giving ur girls nutes ph has still been high and hasnt been able to drop. Its should drop after a couple times. I had to do it 3 times to get mine down i wasnt as high but still high none the less FLUSHING ur soil isnt the same as flushing your plants soil holds in more it takes time i think over 7 days or more you will start to see it drop wait a couple daysand repeat and see what happens. Let me KNOW what you decide to do my friend.

1 Like

Where did that black sand come from that you mixed in? I bet if you do a slurry test with just that sand, you will see the high PH issue surface. That’s why I suggested that you transplant yesterday. I might be wrong, but one simple test would be easy to eliminate it as the problem.

3 Likes

It had came from a blow line from dirt drifting back from the old days…perfect clean black sand/top soil with no fert leach in it whatsoever. I added it because of the fact that I wanted better drainage and didn’t have perlite so when I repotted I had added the perlite and it works great. The roots in this 5 gallon pot are pretty crazy…what I don’t understand is how can the roots be thriving and the top is struggling ? I had just transplanted a couple weeks ago and they are reaching the sides ! And believe it or not even after last nights flush she is still growing the leaves out on the tops…slow but sure. Seems like the roots enjoy the structure of the soil…just too bad the ph is still up. When would I be able to flush again is another question ? Might as well keep it up and get er straightened out.

Pretty much what I would’ve suggested Ph adjustments done too aggressively or fast create more issues so a full flush at correct ph would have far better effect. Adjusting watering ph afterwards to compensate for final run off measure

1 Like

I would continue flush myself but the other approach of constant ph corrected watering is always needed

2 Likes

If you are unable to get soil ph to correct look on youtube for root pruning this is in effect cutting and trimming roots to smaller size which would allow you to repot in different soil by reducing root mass. Result is new fresh roots in new fresh soil easier to ph adjust

2 Likes

That’s exactly what my plan was when I did transplant…I pruned/topped the roots back quite a bit. Like took a 3 gallon size root zone and turned it into a one gallon size then gave it fresh Pro mix and a bunch of perlite. I’d say the mixture is 30 % perlite…30 % black sand and 40 % pro mix bx. Im thinking if I wouldn’t have done that the plant may have been way worse off yet. I can say that the kelp man fert does wonders in root development and foliar spray somewhat is helping the tops from damage

The black sand is likely what is causing ph resistance

2 Likes

As a person currently working on flushing my own plants to take care of toxicity, I wholeheartedly say, Flush!

Tried that already this lady also isn’t in flower yet so easy enough to transplant into simple BX and perolite mix

2 Likes

I agree with @Donaldj, that black sand has to be the culprit because promix and perlite I know wouldn’t throw the ph that far off. Can you do a slurry on the black sand?

3 Likes

I didnt see what your mix is and i say the sand aswell all sand has high salt in it which every you look at it it may be good for high ph plants but in the lower end of ph scale. I would never uuse anymore than 15% sand for and mix purely because of salt and most of these pre made soils are easy to upset there micro organisams with adding to much salt etc. Over the past few weeks ive been looking into soils etc and unless you know what your doing then all these premixed ready to use soils are easy to mess up there natural ph because youve added stuff or took stuff out of it. I would suggest that you transplant and then keep feeding at 6.3 until you see movement in your ph cause your roots are healthy and tops of ur plants are doing better then i wouldnt flush if youve transplanted i would just give ph 6.3 or even 5.8 water just until your ph starts to come down. Rather than keep flushing and possibly over water ur girls . And because you already transplanted before too much might send them into shock. Thats what i would do i hope i have helped and given you some more info that can help your girls thrive keep me posted @Mikos. Thanks