Organic soil growers mosh pit collective of peeps

Yeah buddy ill be whipping up my own EM to make my own here soon 14$ isn’t much per bag but i feel i can make significantly more myself for around the same price only thing id have to buy is wheat or rice bran

3 Likes

@noddykitty1 @Slug_Life
Self composting garden rows ???

Also found myself some 110% organic compost, probably enough to fill a few 100x100 gardens !!

7 Likes

Thats some beautiful material the plants go crazy for love using it in my compost teas also

1 Like

@LiesGrows id like to do a side by side comparison brewing up a tea with that and of boogy brew when I put plants out and water 3 with one or the other to see which actually works better. I’ve caught the organic/veganic growing flu :joy:

3 Likes

I bet that black gold ya got there blows the BB out the brew bucket lmao

2 Likes

Here’s my broken down compost I made, cooled down for months now and ready for whatever I decide to use it for.

I’ve started a new pile where the old one was, got to mow my lawn soon so will get plenty clippings to load up and have a few piles of dried leaves to layer in

There’s another mound I need to toil but don’t have a pic of it, it’s mainly from grass clippings so more than likely very Nitrogen rich as it is

6 Likes

I can smell that dirt from here, smells like heaven

3 Likes

I have a few compost questions. The only compost I have really done was make a pile somewhere, water and turn when I feel like it and after a few years it’s decent. I do a lot of tree trimming and removal, field mowing, and yard debris cleanup. Most of it is pine litter, tumbleweeds, sagebrush, and the like. I’m trying to figure out how to use some of this stuff that I generally just drop at the dump. Any ideas?
Question 2. I do occasionally get some good stuff like grass. Right now I layer the fresh cut grass with straw and was going to get some bakashi to mix in as well. Is there anything else I should do to help things along. As always I really appreciate any and all help.

3 Likes

I’m no compost expert but if you search 18 day compost there’s a method that I followed once and worked really well. It’s the Berkeley Hot Composting Method. Just 2 parts Carbon and 1 part Nitrogen I think?? Or perhaps the other way around lol.

4 Likes

3 Likes

Thanks a lot @Hogbud this seems like a good starting place. On an average summer day I can throw away a ton or two of dead pine trees and needles, brush, and weeds. The dump had started charging us insane prices this year and they just chip it all up and sell it to the county for erosion control. I’d rather be using it if I can.

2 Likes

There is a ton of things you can do.

To name a few

1. Make bio-char out of the logs!

2. Use the needles to make the soil more acidic ( blueberries )

3. More bio-char

4. Rent a chipper and chip it yourself and use as a mulch for garden ( or buy one if reasonable and had demand )

5. Weeds can be thrown into compost if your doing the hot method ( should cook any seeds )

6. Did I mention bio-char? :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I heat my house with some of the wood in the winter but the fire wood mountain just keeps getting bigger. Wasn’t joking when I said tons, lol. Wood chipper is on the list. I’ve been watching a few auctions for a newer broken one I can afford and fix. We’ve also talked about buying some crappy land on our route to dump and compost on. I’m wonder if I can sell or give away the compost, bio char since the nearest decent garden store is 40 miles away and I can produce much more than I can use.

1 Like

I’m sure there is definitely someone who would be willing to take some. Maybe even find someone to let you use their land for part of the pile. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

That’s what I thought about free firewood, but turns out unless its split and delivered no one wants it. Any thoughts on how to do this in bulk? I don’t have a tractor (yet) to turn piles or a good place to safely burn that much so I may be outta luck for now. Mulch may be the way until I can make some upgrades.

1 Like

Transplanted tomato’s, peppers and cherry tomatoes 2 days ago, did a mulch layer for each plant of decomposed leaf litter from the woods and watered in with recharge……and yes I hand watered every one lol :man_shrugging:t2:
Haven’t seen any transplant shock at all and the garden in holding moisture very well considering the last 2 days have been in the 80’s.
14- delicious and bodacious tomatoes
13 sweet peppers, 4 jalapeños
15 super sweet cherry tomatoes and 2 sun gold

5 Likes

Sog is in. 5x5 super full.

6 Likes

Looks awesome! How much time passed between the two pictures?
I was thinking of doing my first SOG in my 3x3 tent. How did you find your plant spacing / number of plants. Would you make any changes for next time?

1 Like

@GardenDan 2 tents. Sog is new. 3x3. 5x5 has fliwering plants. Flipped sog today. 5x5 had 11. 4 went to 3x3…auto. 1 male photo pulled. 3 photo and 3 auto left in 5x5. Sog from photo clones from plant in the 5x5

Ok very good looking, thanks for the numbers!

1 Like