New indoor grow help needed

Im saying 18" is a good height if your running LED. Way too close for a baby under hps

2 Likes

I misunderstood. Absolutely.

1 Like

@elheffe702 thanks for the advice. I seem to have fluked a few things.
I germinated them in the large pot. Is that normal/advisable?
I began with nutrient solution as the round leaves died off. Dumb luck. They looked hungry so I fed them.
I purchased a quality tds and ph meter from the hydro shop and the solution going in was at ph6 and tds/ec at 0.6. This was the advice from hydro shop guy.
I had the light roughly 700mm from plants and only dropped it to 450mm when I went from 24 to 18/6 lights and started feeding. Should I raise it? For how long??
I’ve been having trouble keeping the RH up. It averages around 40%. I’m working on making the fan adjustable to combat this. Is that a good idea?
I’m planning on ScrOG netting at around 500mm plant size. I’m open to suggestions.

You can handle humidity temporarily by creating a “dome” plastic/glass cup, plastic wrap. Granted they will grow out off this method (best for seedlings and small plants) once the first set of leaves get over a inch long i personally pull the dome.

2 Likes

@monsterblackbass ooh good idea. Would a cut down coke bottle work? I use them on my outdoor veggies this time of year to get an early start. It stops the frost.

They’ll do fine in a large pot, it’s just trickier to water properly, and they’ll grow at a crawl at first, while the roots fill out. Some people prefer this over potting up gradually, to avoid stress and delays in growth.

Your intuition probably saved then from starving to death. You have a knack already, see? Your hydro shop guy is giving you decent advice. I’d shoot for 5.8 in coco. After they get to say 5 or 6 nodes, I’d start to bump the feeding up, maybe .8 for a week or so, then on up until they’re happy…or right before they get unhappy anyway :wink:

A lot of people will germinate and grow their seedlings under either compact florescent bulbs, small LED bulbs, or T5 tube lights, as they’re less intense, and can be placed directly above the seedlings. With the intensity of your light (it varies a little from bulb to bulb, manufacturers, etc…You can probably look yours up online and get the specs if they’re not on the box), it needs to be pretty far away to avoid hurting them. You’re going to have it as low as a foot, 30cm, or even less, during flowering, when they need a lot of light. But right now, they don’t need very much light, yet. I’d start at 60cm, and see how they react, then gradually (a cm or two every few days) lower it, giving them time to acclimate.

@monsterblackbass has you covered on the humidity fix for now. You can cut the top off a clear soda bottle, give the inside a spritz, and put it over your babies to max out the humidity. They love it while they’re small.

Yes, a fan speed controller will give you some more control. Less velocity will increase the humidity, but temperature also. Worst case, a humidifier is cheap.

A scrog is a fantastic idea for a small space, as it maximizes the available light while controlling height, too. I use a scrog, as do most of the growers on this forum using smaller spaces.

1 Like

HPS needs at least 24", 36" in the beginning

2 Likes

Great call, I totally didn’t see the part where he said it was in coco, totally thought it was soil. This is why this forum is so great! Thanks for correcting my misunderstanding with great advice @elheffe702!

3 Likes

Hey guys here’s the update. I raised the light and have scaled back the water. They bounced back quickly but now the bigger of the 2 has discoloured and slightly bent leaves. Anyone got any ideas on what it might be?

Looks like heat stress? What temps are you running? Sorry if i missed it.

Just took this

After the last post I raised the light again and shortened the exhaust run. I’m hoping this will bring the heat down. Any other suggestions? @monsterblackbass @elheffe702

Your low humidity is for sure not helping the issue. Ya may wanna look into a humidifier if possible?? Just a suggestion. OnE LoVe

1 Like

@monsterblackbass yeah I’ve really had trouble bringing it up. I’ve been looking at a 5L humidifier. Do you think this will be big enough?

It looks like heat stress to me, too. Anything will help, on the humidity. If you have space, a couple buckets of water will bring it up a little bit until you can get a humidifier. But also keep in mind the relative humidity will go up some as the temperature falls. So I would focus more on getting the temperature down. How high are your lights now?

Sorry for the late reply, I’ve been away.

Yup. Looks like heat and low humidity. Have you tried a bowl or water or wet towel in the room? May not do much but cold help. Also a small fan blowing your lights heat sink could drop temps a bit

1 Like

The lights went up and I hung a wet towel in the tent. I also changed to a much more vigorous watering schedule. I was nutrient locked due to being in a bigger pot and not watering until I got run off. I was also lacking in cal/mag which makes me lean towards the plants being an indica dominant strain. The watering schedule has I think had the most effect. The humidity is running solid at 50-55. The temperature is steady at 26-28 lights on and 22-24 lights out. Oh was 5.8 going in and 5.6 runoff. I also topped them on Saturday. Thanks for replying. I have started a journal and can tag you guys if you like. @elheffe702 @PurpNGold74

3 Likes

Tag away my friend

Sounds like u are gettin some info from your hydro store guy. I blew your pic up and don’t see a cal mag issue. You will get brown rust like spots and a crunchy texture to your leaves. U just have the crunchy texture and some wilting. Looks like underwatering to me. See how defined the veins are in your leaves? They are thirsty. When you over water they get swollen and the veins look almost gone.

Also u can not get nute locked from not watering til runoff. U get nute locked from your ph being out of wack

The problems you are having are common amongst new growers who try to start in coco. It is the grow medium that requires the most attention and IMO the most knowledge. Some will say hydro but you can make very quick corrects with hydro.

This forum is filled with info. Best answer I can give is read read read.

Happy growing!